lively rivers

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

yorick
Engineer
Engineer

lively rivers

Post by yorick »

Well, it's not exactly the same as the original spec :p, but here it is:
Lively Rivers, rivers that actually flow and flood and terraform when they are blocked :)

You can place the sources in the scenario editor with ctrl-canaltool on any tile higher than sea-level.

Screenshots:
screenshot#6.png
Just placed the source, and it has already flooded one tile. it's now about to terraform the tile ahead.
(34.17 KiB) Downloaded 839 times
screenshot#7.png
screenshot #2: as you can see, the river has flooded some more, and terraformed the obstacle on the first screenshot. I also placed some obstacles to demonstrate path changing, and it changed its path once by itself
(49.9 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
It's currently really alpha, so don't expect it to work stable-ish...
Also, when a tile with a ship dries up, it changes into a normal river.

Good luck :)

Known bugs:
sometimes collides into itself and forms a lake

Edit: new version, savegame compatibility broken because of trunk savegame bump
Attachments
lively_rivers_alpha_r14598.diff
(22 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Last edited by yorick on 20 Nov 2008 10:01, edited 7 times in total.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: lively rivers

Post by Gremnon »

Intriguing... does a river placed like this in the editor continue to flood if you pause, save the scenario and then start playing the scenario?
yorick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yorick »

A river will only flood if it does not have a path to sea, so if you save a scenario when it is not done yet, it will continue ingame, it will also do that when your touch one of it's tiles.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

If you, for example, lower the other side of the lake (the NW or N wall, depending on how you think of it), does the river then flood that way as well?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Just load this scenario in the scenario editor and it'll assert soon.
Attachments
UNNAMED.scn
(7.9 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Woot, sounds apocalyptic!

What does it do when there is something within the path of the river? Will it raze its way through cities and stuff (hell, this would be mad in multiplayer...a river flowing down from a high hill would become an ultimate weapon against opponents)? Can it get wider than one tile?
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Nice one. There already was a similar patch a long time ago (before rivers were even introduced), wasn't there?

Just a thought: Shouldn't the the river dam up to a lake until it overflows rather than breaking through? That would probably produce even nicer looking landscapes.

Nevertheless, great work :D
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
yorick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yorick »

CommanderZ wrote:Woot, sounds apocalyptic!

What does it do when there is something within the path of the river? Will it raze its way through cities and stuff (hell, this would be mad in multiplayer...a river flowing down from a high hill would become an ultimate weapon against opponents)? Can it get wider than one tile?

It can't get wider than 1 tile for now...and yes, it will raze it way through cities and stuff :). If there is something in it's path, it will change path, and if it doesn't work, it will terraform the tile ahead.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Watching it do that, it reminds me suspiciously of the standard AI trying to build a rail route... and I think something in that might be what causes the assertation.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

It can't get wider than 1 tile for now...and yes, it will raze it way through cities and stuff . If there is something in it's path, it will change path, and if it doesn't work, it will terraform the tile ahead.
So it will raze through 15 levels high mountains if you put it into a level 1 crater sorrounded by 15 level high terrain?

Hey, it takes rivers millions years to accomplish such feat. Ho fast is that in your patch?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Pretty fast when I tried it... and definatly destructive.
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

Interesting, but what's to prevent someone from trying to wreck havoc on the beginning player?
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

once again another good one from Yorick this sounds great.
I have a question though once it hits the sea i assume the destructive element disapates rather than continueing onto the next landmass otherwise that could be massively destructive :wink:
yorick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yorick »

Expresso wrote:Interesting, but what's to prevent someone from trying to wreck havoc on the beginning player?
Maybe it should be given massive costs, I don't know...
Giles wrote:once again another good one from Yorick this sounds great.
I have a question though once it hits the sea i assume the destructive element disapates rather than continueing onto the next landmass otherwise that could be massively destructive :wink:
Yes, it stops at the sea 8)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

If you could add this in the land generator it would rock even more.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

yorick wrote:Also, when a tile with a ship dries up, it changes into a normal river.
Nooooo! Make the ship blow up instead :D
"News message: 800 people dead in 6 ship explosions because the river dried and there was not enough water to extinguish the fire"
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

yorick wrote:Also, when a tile with a ship dries up, it changes into a normal river.
Or how about this?
dryship.jpg
dryship.jpg (62.9 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
regards
Michael
RedDragon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedDragon »

Expresso wrote:Interesting, but what's to prevent someone from trying to wreck havoc on the beginning player?

What about not allowing people in multiplayer to place rivers.

What happens if someone deletes a part of the river and builds there, does it change direction or plow back over that square?

Cool Idea I'd like to see this in the stable OTTD (or as a GRF file). Thumbs up from me :D
Corporation n.
An ingenious device to gain individual profit,
without individual responsiblity.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

But I guess if you change terrain along the river it will change its way, won't it?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”