Engineer
Engineer

Number Boards

Post by changnian »

Prototype trains have numbers.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Credit: Wikimedia Commons
GP10-numbers.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Busses and trucks have numbers. Airplanes have numbers. Ships have numbers. Indeed, it is difficult to imagine any real vehicle bigger than a skateboard that does not have a highly visible number: the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the number. Transport geeks will note that some vehicles have multiple, different numbers; and that the numbers have different names.

Ships have hull numbers, planes have tail numbers, road vehicles have license plate numbers, locomotive engines have number boards. These are distinct from, say, manufacturers' serial numbers in that they are assigned by owner or authority and may even occasionally be changed. They are also highly visible. Clearly, somebody thinks it important to be able to see which vehicle they may be looking at.

In a recent IRC discussion, I mentioned that I would like to see signs that trail vehicles, displaying useful information about them -- where they are going, what they may carry, load percentage, reliability percentage. All of this should, of course, be configurable, so I can see exactly the info that will be most useful to me at any time. When there are a dozen trains jammed up at a junction, it would be nice to see at a glance what is really going on.

To keep it simple, though, how about just number boards?

Oh, sure, I can click on any train to see what it is. But if I click on a dozen trains at once, then associating those windows (on my always-crowded screen) is a job in itself. I want to get an overall picture. I want to be able to scroll down a main line and see what traffic is on it -- and what's stopped, what's lost-but-not-lost-yet, etc. The train number alone would at least be a clue.

As it stands, one 20-car train of gons is pretty much like any other, especially if it's empties. A sky full of unnumbered planes is just an air show.

Number boards should be affected by transparency; ideally, they would be distinct from fixed signs, so that a player could choose to see one or the other. At a minimum, they should display the actual vehicle number; better if they displayed any player-assigned vehicle name; best if the text could display any of the usual info instead.

But I'll take numbers any way I can get them.
number-board-example.png
number-board-example.png (9.68 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
-Xiong
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Number Boards

Post by Eddi »

you should check how the loading indicators are drawn, and replicate that for "moving" vehicles, to get "floating" unit numbers above the front vehicle.

should be a fairly easy [not simple] patch for a beginner coder :)
changnian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by changnian »

changnian wrote:You appear to be suffering from what I call Wikipedia Syndrome...
-Xiong
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

You appear to be suffering from what I call stuck-up prat syndrome.

Wikipedia didn't invent open-source, and if you're not willing to work for what you want, why should anyone else?
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

I think that is a little harsh.

Not all of us can code and nobody has to do anything for him. However if somebody sees this idea and thinks, hey thats a nice idea, i could do that than that is fine. I dislike how the response to every suggestion is "well go do it then". Not everyone has to like it
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Lordmwa wrote:I think that is a little harsh.

Not all of us can code and nobody has to do anything for him. However if somebody sees this idea and thinks, hey thats a nice idea, i could do that than that is fine. I dislike how the response to every suggestion is "well go do it then". Not everyone has to like it
But I think you agree with me that it isn't the duty of developers to develop every patch / feature that is requested here. So somehow a line must be drawn.
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

Hyronymus wrote:

But I think you agree with me that it isn't the duty of developers to develop every patch / feature that is requested here. So somehow a line must be drawn.
Most cetainly. The point i make though is that if a developer likes an idea and wants to develop a patch then there should not be a feeling that only those who suggest something can do it
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Lordmwa wrote:
Hyronymus wrote:

Most cetainly. The point i make though is that if a developer likes an idea and wants to develop a patch then there should not be a feeling that only those who suggest something can do it
True. Also you could do it.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Somehow I'm not under the impression that features / patches arise only because the developers make them. Just have a glance at OpenTTD 0.7.0 and OpenTTD 1.0.0 for instance and count the numerous changes that were suggested by non-developers.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Eddi wrote:you should check how the loading indicators are drawn, and replicate that for "moving" vehicles, to get "floating" unit numbers above the front vehicle.

should be a fairly easy [not simple] patch for a beginner coder :)
All rubbish above aside; is this something that's even possible? (I'm not asking you to go into the source code, check, test, invent and change the world's outlook on third world hunger... I'm not changian)

I'm not interested in developing this patch, have no intention of telling the devs forcefully, and really just think that (actually...) this is a good idea...

Transparency/turning signs off is possible, but they're static... Surely we'd be asking the game too much to have a moving sprite for this?

The chances of this happening now this buffoon has suggested are of course slim, but I'm actually quite impressed by the idea.

... But I'm not going to go and code it.

So what I say is moot haha.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”