War

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

russkie12
Engineer
Engineer

War

Post by russkie12 »

There should be countries that are actually a group of cities with color-coded capitols ,military facilities, etc. A country may ask a company either to help the country in a war, and/or manufacture new units of his/her design, including: light infantry, Medium infantry, Heavy infantry,jeep APC, Tank, Medium Tanks, Heavy Tank, Anti-Tank helicopter, (the one you see in the chopper attack disaster,)Gun heli, (Same as the other one, but less powerful and a faster fire rate,)Fighter ( The one from disaster) Bomber,Nuclear Bomber, Transport plane and helicopters that carry infantry around, Bazooka Infantry,BLACK OPS (they do sneaky things)BALLISTIC MISSILES, INTERCONTINENTAL BALLISTIC MISSILES, SUBMARINES,Paratroopers,Destroyers Battleships Cruisers AIRCRAFT CARRIER,LANDERS, BATTLE CRUISER, REPAIR SHIP MINE LAYER.
Whoa that was a lot! I have a lot more for this idea coming in you next post!
I've never been in a trial before... Let the trial begin!
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: War

Post by Roujin »

Well, go play a war strategy game then.
This game is not about war, but transportation. :roll:
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

One of OpenTTD goals is to provide a game free of all war/military influences, check wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Game_Objectives when the wiki will be back up.. So not going to happen
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
russkie12
Engineer
Engineer

Post by russkie12 »

In single player or multi player,you can have an option that says War And clicking it in once causes the game/server the player is playing/hosting to be affected by my idea. Simple,right? amirite? :roll:
I've never been in a trial before... Let the trial begin!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

No, there are no war themes in OpenTTD, and the devs will keep it that way.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

russkie12 wrote:In single player or multi player,you can have an option that says War And clicking it in once causes the game/server the player is playing/hosting to be affected by my idea. Simple,right? amirite? :roll:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that indeed, just that it's NEVER EVER going to be in OpenTTD.
I think that there are enough subjects to be integrated in the game to fall on the biggest nuisance manking has ever invented.
There are tons of games outside that are far better suited to please the war lovers all around.
OpenTTD will not be one of those.

And by the way, this suggestion has been formulated a few times. The answer was still the same as it is today.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

Well still a shame, a war could actually bring interesting events, like sudden sky high prices for steel in order to build weapons and such stuff.

The war itself could just be an economical event , and a few military planes, subs around the map
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What about a huge festival in TTD which increases payment rates for Toyland Candy instead. :|
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Stienie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stienie »

OTTD isn't an wargame, but mayby milatary planes need your airbase in a disaster?
Scenarios: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 35#p715935
Yeah, I need to update it. Some of them are like crap. I made them when I was ten or something xD
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=45027
Not many right now, but they're coming.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

So many other things could provide interesting contingencies. We already have a bunch of disasters; these could be expanded upon greatly. After flooding, for example, or a coal seam collapse, the emergency services could commandeer use of your stations or resources. A rapidly expanding new town could suddenly cry out for steel for production. None of these require us to have war, if in-game contingencies is all you're really after.

Of course, if you just want war for war's sake, you're looking to the wrong game.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

:idea: If You like a war theme for OpenTTD, You can take the source code, modify it and create some GRFs about war. It is not easy, but You can try it. It would be your own OpenTTD modified game.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I don't know how others, but I love to have a nice game to play without violence and combat. No destruction, just light-minded creation.

PS: It doesn't mean I don't like violent games. I love UT or Civilization :)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I guess one could make a GRF with War-related industries and cargo's. (A Tank Factory anyone?)
If you gather around a team with volunteers for such a GRF, I don't think there's much to stop you.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

CommanderZ wrote: PS: It doesn't mean I don't like violent games. I love UT or Civilization :)

Especially the first or second one, where you could use nukes and no one would blame you :P (as long as you had UN built)
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Well, personally i'd like to see the idea of economics expanded a little in OTTD. As mentioned, an increase in steel traffic, a downturn in passenger traffic, damage to rails (bombing, like the UFo disaster) increase in maintence costs (ask any rail enthusiast about the effect of the wartime economy on the big 4s engines!), and obviously effects on other transport, such as possible sinkings , and a ban on passenger air travel.

Doesn't have to be war themed, any more than OTTD is UFo themed now. Just, certain events that add realism. You could even program it as a patch option, so you could either randomise when wartime conditions occured, or set your own dates (for those using the NARS2, adding the US Civil War as a period of wartime conditions, or for others the Spanish Civil War, 1st World War etc).

Maybe make it part of a more wide ranging "Historical Events' patch, with newspapers accouncing various events that might effect the enconomy, or just important historical events to add a feeling of 'realism' (okay, so TTD follows its own realism, a little history wouldn't hurt)
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

The war economy is a big business these days :roll:
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Well, fortunately we don't have to deal with it everywhere, like in some computer game about transporting goods :P
If you are so keen of war theme, then why not create some grf which expands openttd economy with war related things.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Not sure you quite grasped what I was saying. I specifically said it wasn't war themed, any more than the current game is UFo themed because of the various alien related disasters. The only bearing wartime would have on OTTD would be economic, and as I said a few more economic movements (such as the Great Depression, the decline in rail passenger services in the latter half of the 20th Century, the rise of HST lines, the Jet Airliner revolution etc) would be a welcome addition to OTTD.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”