Reversing for double-headed trains

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Reversing for double-headed trains

Post by Hairysteed »

Would it be possible to add a third train reverse option in addition to "at end of line only" and "at end of line and at stations" - the "double-headed trains reverse at stations" -option?

This idea came to me when experimenting different stations with turnaround tracks.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Reversing for double-headed trains

Post by ostlandr »

Interesting idea.

Would give non-powered cab control units a purpose and function, such as Amtrak's "Cabbage", (an F40 with the diesel prime mover removed and the engine compartment refitted for baggage.) The cab and MU controls still work- cab + baggage = . . . :roll:
As a couple of recent accidents have shown, a cab/control unit on the "back" end reduces the hazard for passengers that occurs when a train is in "push" mode.
Hairysteed wrote:Would it be possible to add a third train reverse option in addition to "at end of line only" and "at end of line and at stations" - the "double-headed trains reverse at stations" -option?

This idea came to me when experimenting different stations with turnaround tracks.
Who is John Galt?
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

So, anybody interested? (sorry for necro-topicing!)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hairysteed wrote:So, anybody interested? (sorry for necro-topicing!)
I don't understand the usefulness of your proposal. Why would double headed trains want to reverse when single headed ones don't? Can you elaborate please?
a.locritani
Engineer
Engineer

Post by a.locritani »

planetmaker wrote:
Hairysteed wrote:So, anybody interested? (sorry for necro-topicing!)
I don't understand the usefulness of your proposal. Why would double headed trains want to reverse when single headed ones don't? Can you elaborate please?
Please consider the T.I.M. train, for example (Engine-wagonA-wagonB-Engine): it has engines on both end, so when it enters a station and needs to come back from where it comes from, it can simply power the other end and "reverse". ok, it's not properly a reverse (because wagon order changes: E*-A-B-E when coming and E*-B-A-E where E = engine, E* = tractor engine, A & B wagon)

Will be faster to T.I.M. train to reverse this way, without using turnaround tracks

and Hairysteed, yes, I'm interested, just yesterday I thought "strange, this should be already implemented" but I've only basic programming skills
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

It's not better to wait and see if comes out a drive backward patch for trains?
With that you can decide to stop trains to reverse by not adding the cab at the tail, so they are forced to drive always forward (ok, with reverse at EOL and at signals or manually, or they'll get stuck like trams did earlier when you forgot to add the "loop" piece of track)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Wolf01 wrote:It's not better to wait and see if comes out a drive backward patch for trains?
With that you can decide to stop trains to reverse by not adding the cab at the tail, so they are forced to drive always forward (ok, with reverse at EOL and at signals or manually, or they'll get stuck like trams did earlier when you forgot to add the "loop" piece of track)
I don't think that such feature is necessary. It's a matter of implementing that feature in the newgrfs. IIRC OpenTTD already supports the feature of backward driving, only most grfs (except canset) don't implement it.

EDIT: just got it on good authority: it's just a graphical hack in canset. So... the real thing probably is better :)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”