Newbie: Signalling Problems

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Dani123
Engineer
Engineer

Newbie: Signalling Problems

Post by Dani123 »

Hi, I've just started with OpenTTD, and I don't get it with the signals. What I want to do is feeding a station with two tracks. I also want to separate the incoming and outcoming traffic. If the attachment works, you'll see that the entry signal is green although the two platforms are occupied. My only idea was that it was because I didn't disable the 90 degree curve - the incoming train sees the green exit sign and goes ahead. But even after disabling, the signal remains green. The incoming train will therefore run to the red signal and block the left platform. After that, the right one is blocked as well, resulting in a huge traffic jam. The only solution is to make the incoming train turn 180 degree so that it runs behind the entry signal again. One of the station signal gets green, and the jam vaporises. What do I have to do to make this more efficiently?
Attachments
Opentdd.png
Opentdd.png (207.24 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Brumi
President
President

Re: Newbie: Signalling Problems

Post by Brumi »

Hi, and welcome to the forums.
The station layout is OK, you just didn't get the signal types right.
The pre-signal (with the red circle) is green because the exit-signal in the yellow circle is green. There shouldn't be an exit signal in the yellow circle, you just need normal signals there. Also, there is no need for combo signals at the platforms, they only need to be exit signals. (marked with the green circle). The rest of the signals on the route should be normal signals instead, but now they don't make a difference.
Openttd.png
Openttd.png (113.74 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Alternatively, you can use path signals, then you can replace all of the signals with path signals, except for the ones in the green circle, because you don't need signals there if you use path signals. For a better understanding of path signals, enable the showing of reserved tracks under Advaced Settings.

For further reading, see http://wiki.openttd.org/Signals.

I hope this was helpful. :)
Dani123
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Newbie: Signalling Problems

Post by Dani123 »

thanks a lot for checking and painting the solution!! I'll check it out during the weekend, but I trust this will work. :)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”