Buss error with OpenTTD 1.4.1 on Mac 10.4.11 and 10.5.8

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JHF
Engineer
Engineer

Buss error with OpenTTD 1.4.1 on Mac 10.4.11 and 10.5.8

Post by JHF »

Unable to run OpenTTD 1.4.1 on two different Macs. One is running Mac OSX 10.4.11, and the other Mac OSX 10.5.8.

On both Macs, entering the following in the Terminal:

Code: Select all

cd /Applications/Games/OpenTTD/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/
./openttd
Returns:

Code: Select all

Bus error
Help needed. Thanks.
JHF
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Buss error with OpenTTD 1.4.1 on Mac 10.4.11 and 10.5.8

Post by JHF »

More info...

Mac #1: PowerPC G4 Dual 1.25 GHz 2 GB RAM running Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard.

Mac #2: PowerPC G4 Dual 500 MHz 1.5 GB RAM running Mac OSX 10.4.11 Tiger.

Contents of openttd-1.4.1-macosx-universal.zip unzipped into /Applications/Games/OpenTTD.

opengfx-0.5.0.tar placed in ~/Documents/OpenTTD/data. I first tried ~/Documents/OpenTTD/baseset, per the readme file, but this didn't work, so I tried naming the folder data, based upon instructions I found somewhere on the OpenTTD website. Both cases results in OpenTTD failing to run. Which folder name is correct?

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something?

Is anyone else successfully running OpenTTD 1.4.1 on a G4 Mac with Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard?

Thanks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Did you try to start the app (by clicking it from the file manager) instead of starting the enclosed binary? Might be that it doesn't find the required libraries.

Did you also try with an OpenTTD nightly version?

If that doesn't help, I probably can currently only advise to try compiling OpenTTD yourself and see whether that gives you a working binary.
JHF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JHF »

planetmaker wrote:Did you try to start the app (by clicking it from the file manager) instead of starting the enclosed binary? Might be that it doesn't find the required libraries.
Yes, I always started OpenTTD from the finder. I only ran ./openttd from the terminal because I read in a thread somewhere in this forum where a person with a problem running Mac OSX version was asked to do so and report the result.
planetmaker wrote:Did you also try with an OpenTTD nightly version?
Not sure which is, or where to find, nightly version. I also tried openttd-1.4.2-RC1-macosx-universal.zip and openttd-trunk-r26676-macosx-universal.zip. Same results.
planetmaker wrote:If that doesn't help, I probably can currently only advise to try compiling OpenTTD yourself and see whether that gives you a working binary.
Sounds like way too much hassle. I've only compiled a few things and really don't know what to do, or where to find info on the OpenTTD website or this forum on how to do this using the Mac OSX OS. Is the Mac version not supported? Do you have any Mac developers?
JHF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JHF »

planetmaker wrote:If that doesn't help, I probably can currently only advise to try compiling OpenTTD yourself and see whether that gives you a working binary.
Yes, that's exactly what I needed to do.

After downloading several versions, which failed to run, reading SEVERAL forum posts, etc., I came to the conclusion that the reason why the downloaded binaries didn't work was they were compiled for Intel Macs, and were NOT Universal binaries, as was stated, which would have worked on my PPC Mac.

I downloaded the necessary tools to compile my own version, downloaded the source for 1.4.1, compiled it, and it's now running on my G4 1.25 dual-processor Mac, running Mac OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard). Doing all that was a game in itself.

The graphics and sound all seem to be working properly. I set some of the options, but need to learn the game. I started running through the tutorial, but had to stop. I'll finish the tutorial later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion. No doubt, as I learn the game I'll be reading a lot more forum posts, wiki pages, etc., and perhaps have other questions.
JHF
Engineer
Engineer

Solved: Buss error with OpenTTD 1.4.1 on Mac 10.4.11 and 10.

Post by JHF »

I guess I should mark this thread as solved, but I don't know how.

I've been using openTTD for almost 2 weeks now. I get an occasional freeze, but I'm not sure it's related to openTTD. Since it's not a crash or panic there are no specific logs to look at. It may be a video driver issue. Since it happens infrequently I've not spent much time trying to track it down. The system logs show what may be clues, but I couldn't find anything on the web related to what I see in the logs.

Anyway, I'm enjoying openTTD and wish to thank everyone who has contributed to this great open source gem.
Last edited by JHF on 23 Jul 2014 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Playing OpenTTD on a MDD G4 Power Mac, dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC, 2 GB RAM, running Mac OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

in my expierence, random freezes are most commonly temperature issues.
JHF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JHF »

Eddi wrote:in my expierence, random freezes are most commonly temperature issues.
Are you referring to Mirror Drive Doors (MDD) G4 Power Macs, Macs in general, or PCs in general?

I don't think my freezes are heat related, but I guess it's possible. I'll look into it.

Thanks.
Playing OpenTTD on a MDD G4 Power Mac, dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC, 2 GB RAM, running Mac OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard).

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”