What are the steps to follow for new translation of the game?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: What are the steps to follow for new translation of the game?

Post by frosch »

absay wrote:The question is: will I need to do the same for every project I'm not part of?
You can see all your permissions for all projects at
https://translator.openttdcoop.org/userprofile

IIRC 2 or 3 projects do not automatically approve the global translators.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
absay
Engineer
Engineer

Post by absay »

Thanks for the answers, Alberth. As you can tell, I didn't really looked that much into the logic behind the web translator. But your points are I have a better understanding of the whole process to minimize errors and duplications. I think I will have to rely on the "Related Strings" module to track similar strings and keep everything consistent.

As for the projects on the Dev Zone, I can see the "starred" are the ones I can translate. I'd really love to translate the Japan Set, which is not available on the web translator thing but it's on the projects on the dev zone. Sadly, it seems no one has access to the "subprojects", which seem to be the actual NewGRFs. I'm guessing these can't be translated?

Now, I have a petition: would it be possible to rename the "ownname" of the translation? It currently says "Español mexicano (MX)", which is a little redundant. It should say only "Español (MX)" to suggest the variant from "Español", similar to "Português" and "Português (BR)".

And I'm looking forward to getting the translator validation for ISR, which is still sitting on the issues queue. :D

edit:

Another thing: I tried to creat a translation for the Android port of the game, but the lang file is missing the gender information (##gender m f). How to proceed in these cases?
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

absay wrote:As for the projects on the Dev Zone, I can see the "starred" are the ones I can translate. I'd really love to translate the Japan Set, which is not available on the web translator thing but it's on the projects on the dev zone. Sadly, it seems no one has access to the "subprojects", which seem to be the actual NewGRFs. I'm guessing these can't be translated?
All the japanese sets are old NewGRFs, which are coded using NFO insteadof NML. It is much harder to make a NFO project translatable. ISR is the only one I know about.
absay wrote:Now, I have a petition: would it be possible to rename the "ownname" of the translation? It currently says "Español mexicano (MX)", which is a little redundant. It should say only "Español (MX)" to suggest the variant from "Español", similar to "Português" and "Português (BR)".
Done in OpenTTD trunk. It will spread to the WebTranslators somewhen (whenever someone triggers an update for them), but that may take a while.
absay wrote:Another thing: I tried to creat a translation for the Android port of the game, but the lang file is missing the gender information (##gender m f). How to proceed in these cases?
The Android port is a bit of a special case, it fits neither into the categories NewGRF or GameScript. So we used some tricks to add it to the WebTranslator, however that trick does not support genders or cases. However, I do not see any strings in the project that would need them; the strings do not even have any parameters.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
absay
Engineer
Engineer

Post by absay »

frosch wrote:
absay wrote:Now, I have a petition: would it be possible to rename the "ownname" of the translation? It currently says "Español mexicano (MX)", which is a little redundant. It should say only "Español (MX)" to suggest the variant from "Español", similar to "Português" and "Português (BR)".
Done in OpenTTD trunk. It will spread to the WebTranslators somewhen (whenever someone triggers an update for them), but that may take a while.
Amazing! Thank you very much! It now makes total sense.
frosch wrote:
absay wrote:Another thing: I tried to creat a translation for the Android port of the game, but the lang file is missing the gender information (##gender m f). How to proceed in these cases?
The Android port is a bit of a special case, it fits neither into the categories NewGRF or GameScript. So we used some tricks to add it to the WebTranslator, however that trick does not support genders or cases. However, I do not see any strings in the project that would need them; the strings do not even have any parameters.
Yeah, my question was more about what to do in the case of encountering a file without genders but according to your response that would be very unlikely, except for the Android stuff which I've already translated.
frosch wrote:All the japanese sets are old NewGRFs, which are coded using NFO insteadof NML. It is much harder to make a NFO project translatable. ISR is the only one I know about.
Such a shame! But looking at the files in the repository, I'm seeing three languages: German, Eng. US and Eng. UK. Would it be possible to translate the same files to Spanish? I obviously ignore whether more changes should be made to other NFO files to get a new language integrated or not, or if such changes would demand work to accomplish, please bear with my ignorance on the matter (I've been looking into it a bit, though, so that at least I can ask better questions :lol: ).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

frosch wrote:All the japanese sets are old NewGRFs, which are coded using NFO insteadof NML. It is much harder to make a NFO project translatable. ISR is the only one I know about.
Such a shame! But looking at the files in the repository, I'm seeing three languages: German, Eng. US and Eng. UK. Would it be possible to translate the same files to Spanish? I obviously ignore whether more changes should be made to other NFO files to get a new language integrated or not, or if such changes would demand work to accomplish, please bear with my ignorance on the matter (I've been looking into it a bit, though, so that at least I can ask better questions :lol: ).[/quote]

Yes, it's possible to translate those files - but as frosch says much more complicated.. In NFO you do not easily take care of genders, cases and plurals as you may know it from the NML projects but you have to do it yourself. Nor can you use the web interface.
With the NFO projects you have to download the language files (assuming that there actually is one - and hope that it actually contains all strings), save it as utf-8 encoded and the create a translation. Mind that you'll probably also have to adopt the language codes for the strings, depending on how much preprocessing is thrown onto the language files. See http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Action4
Once done, you can submit the translation as patch in the issue tracker of the projects and/or contact the people which maintain the project - though probably you want to do that before in order to not waste time, should they have become inactive or have decided to cease continued development of that particular project.

Return to “General OpenTTD”