Updating NewGRFs

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Updating NewGRFs

Post by Baldy's Boss »

What's the way to specifically search for newer versions of online content that you already have?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Updating NewGRFs

Post by Supercheese »

The "Select Upgrades" button:
Attachments
Select upgrades.png
Select upgrades.png (18.45 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

And if that button is grayed out does that mean no upgrades are available?
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mancbranch »

If you are running a game with a newgrf (Firs in this case) and a new version comes out which is incompatible with old save games, do I have to finish the game before upgrading, or will the upgrade button just download the new version without overwriting the old one? Scared to press upgrade incase it breaks my save game!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

mancbranch wrote:If you are running a game with a newgrf (Firs in this case) and a new version comes out which is incompatible with old save games, do I have to finish the game before upgrading, or will the upgrade button just download the new version without overwriting the old one? Scared to press upgrade incase it breaks my save game!
OpenTTD does not overwrite or delete older versions of NewGRFs, AIs, Gamescripts of base sets when you obtained them through the ingame content download. Thus using the "update" button is 100% safe and you cannot break any savegame by using it.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

mancbranch wrote:If you are running a game with a newgrf (Firs in this case) and a new version comes out which is incompatible with old save games, do I have to finish the game before upgrading, or will the upgrade button just download the new version without overwriting the old one? Scared to press upgrade incase it breaks my save game!
savegames automatically pick up the older version of the NewGRF from before the update. they even can download older versions of the NewGRF from the online content even if a newer version is available, should the file go missing somehow. (e.g. you transferred the savegame to another computer, and forgot to copy the NewGRFs with it)
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mancbranch »

Thanks guys. Halfway through a game and didn't want to break it by updating!

Return to “General OpenTTD”