Unrequested Combination

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Unrequested Combination

Post by Baldy's Boss »

OK,this might belong under "Problems",but it's the same game I cover in my "Please Help Integrate This Network!" thread on this board,and to some extent it's a query about features.

In the Western Orange Rail game,I found huge backlogs at the airports Trans Dest 19 and Trans Source 20,and upgraded them from Small to Commuter.Source 20 was trivial,but Dest 19 involved doing some demolition inside a built-up city and filling in part of a watercourse.When the new airport was in place,I found that it did not become Trans.Dest.19 (which remained grayed out) but combined with the adjacent Danfield bus station under that name.I started substituting Danfield for Trans Dest 19 in the orders of the affiliated airplanes but realized that the names retained separate station windows (and it appears that I'll lose the passengers and mail backlogged at Trans Dest 19 that I was expanding the airport to serve in the first place...retaining just the smaller if still large passenger backlog at the bus station for the merged station).Is there any way to save that backlog for service?

See save-game and screenshot (in case save-game comes up without the former station data accessible).
Attachments
WesternOrangeRailCo.,9thFeb2011.sav
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Western Orange Rail Co., 9th Feb 2011.png
(3.76 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Unrequested Combination

Post by planetmaker »

Deleted stations are not saved, but only kept around for a short time in memory so that you can e.g. upgrade an airport. The upgrade and replacement will fail, if the airport in need of replacement borders to another station which was not joint with the airport - then the new one will be joined with that unless you use the ctrl+click method for joining distant stations (or building separate adjacent ones).
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I don't mind going intermodal,but would want the orders to update and the waiting passengers/mail to merge when the stations merge!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I don't mind going intermodal,but would want the orders to update and the waiting passengers/mail to merge when the stations merge!
But the stations did not merge due to the time you spent on making room. You deleted one, and built a new one at the same place.

The usual trick to avoid these station order problems is to first make sufficient room for the new station, marking the free tiles with your buy sign, to prevent the town from building new houses.
Then check the rating, towns don't like you demolishing town parts, and may prevent you from building the new station.
If all is ok, destroy the old station when it's empty, and immediately build the upgrade. If you do this within the 'linger' time, the old station name will be re-used by the upgrade.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Alberth wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:I don't mind going intermodal,but would want the orders to update and the waiting passengers/mail to merge when the stations merge!
But the stations did not merge due to the time you spent on making room. You deleted one, and built a new one at the same place.

The usual trick to avoid these station order problems is to first make sufficient room for the new station, marking the free tiles with your buy sign, to prevent the town from building new houses.
Then check the rating, towns don't like you demolishing town parts, and may prevent you from building the new station.
If all is ok, destroy the old station when it's empty, and immediately build the upgrade. If you do this within the 'linger' time, the old station name will be re-used by the upgrade.
I checked my rating before and during the landscaping (it stayed Outstanding).I'm not familiar with the buy-sign.I would have had to disrupt the cityscape even more to not be adjacent to the bus station,(The last savegame in the "Please Help Integrate This Network" thread can show the curious what Danfield looked like before).I hope the new airport will still be worth the investment.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

like said already, use Ctrl+Click when building the airport. A popup will open that asks you whether to join the bus stop or join the old station, or make a completely new station.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I went to a just-previous autosave and used Ctrl-Click to make the new Commuter airport separate,saving its backlog.However,the backlog only increased,and I've now gone and upgraded the airport and the planes but still can't be sure the backlog is licked...this time I destroyed a good piece of a rather nice park and my reputation crashed from Outstanding to Good.The passenger station rating remains Very Poor.
Here are saves before and after airport replacement,and year end.(Rather distracting that the Dinger 200 appears as 3 jets).
Any further planes to the airport need a new destination,the tandem-upgraded partner airport is sending planes back empty.
Attachments
WesternOrangeRailCo.,1stJul2018.sav
Just before new airport
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
WesternOrangeRailCo.,17thJul2018.sav
Just after new airports built and plane replacement ordered
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
WesternOrangeRailCo.,31stDec2018.sav
Year-end situation with new planes in service
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 27 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”