OpenTTD - Android Port

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bluelock1
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD - Android Port

Post by Bluelock1 »

After singing the praises of this app in a different thread and the function of how the game works on the samsung galaxy note tablet with s pen, I have encountered a problem, I updated the tablet to the latest android software (jelly bean) and now the S Pen will zoom in and out when scrolling, it wil also have a mind of its own when trying to construct anything. 

Any ideas what could be causing these issues??

I am new to android also after recently switching from apple product's
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Check in the advanced settings; there are options for mousewheel behaviour and such that might influence the use of your pen.
You may also want to check the hotkeys config to see if there is anything you can adjust there.
Other than that ... I do not have an android device sorry. ;)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I've reproduced this bug on Android 4.2, with Cyanogen ROM, seems like touch panel sends some invalid touch events when using S Pen.
I'll try to fix it with the next OpenTTD release.
Are you using official firmware BTW?
Bluelock1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bluelock1 »

Thanks for the reply's

Yes I have used an official release of the 4.2 update.

I will have a look at the mousewheel options tomorrow to see if I can fix it that way also. It worked perfect day before so can't see it being a difficcult fix
thejflo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thejflo »

Transportman wrote:On smaller phones it might make sense to have a different/modified interface. The iPad has something like a 10 inch screen, which is doable with the current interface. With a smaller screen the icons will be hard to touch with your fingers. So a different interface might be needed for these small screens.
The best mouse emulation setup I've found for openttd on my HTC One XL is to disable all touchscreen clicks and instead use the volume up/down buttons as left/right click respectively.

The reality is that my fingers are just too big to accurately tap on the exact perfect spot where I want to place something - I don't think I would even get it right first time with a stylus, certainly not without a high rate of failure.

Using the touchscreen only as a means of moving the mouse cursor works great for me.

PS. Pelya thank you so much for making this happen, you rock.

PPS. Please please please can we have an android package with CARGODIST built in? Or is there a way I can include it myself?
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

What is cargodist? Some another custom mod?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pelya wrote:What is cargodist? Some another custom mod?
No. A (new) way how cargo is handled which allows it to decide depending on network routes where to go in OpenTTD trunk, 1.4-alpha. There's a whole cargodist thread in this forum and wiki pages in the ... wiki on the topic.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Then I'll just release it when 1.4 will become stable.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

planetmaker wrote:OpenTTD trunk, 1.4-alpha.
Ooh, hints ! Sems like 1.4.0 release would mark another large addition to the history of OpenTTD :)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

planetmaker wrote:
pelya wrote:What is cargodist? Some another custom mod?
No. A (new) way how cargo is handled which allows it to decide depending on network routes where to go in OpenTTD trunk, 1.4-alpha. There's a whole cargodist thread in this forum and wiki pages in the ... wiki on the topic.
I love you. This and vehicle separation is the reason I play patch-packs. And don't forget stuff such as timetables.
Last edited by TinyMusic on 21 Jul 2013 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

UseYourIllusion wrote:vehicle separation
Primitive vehicle separation is also in trunk (http://wiki.openttd.org/Ctrl "Timetable spreading of vehicles (r25537 ) Ctrl+Click when setting a start date on timetable").
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

And it will be unusable on mobile devices, because, you know, no Ctrl key. Would be awesome if that would be added somewhere to the game menu.
Time_Lord
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD - Android port

Post by Time_Lord »

I'm pretty new to OpenTTD, playing on a Samsing Galaxy Tab 2. I love it, and I don't seem to miss/have trouble with right-clicking, but I have three problems.

First,multi-key combinations, such as ctrl-click to link atations that may be separated. If there is a way to do this without a bluetoith keyboard, I can't find it.

Also, since there's no mouse, there's no hover, so it's very hard/impossible to, say, check out the cathchment area of a new station before placing it.

Lastly, there seems to be no way to fast forward the game. Yes, the fast-forward button is there, but it's only marginally faster compared to the pc.

I still LOVE playing on the tab, though. I just hope these things get improved in later versions.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD - Android port

Post by Transportman »

Time_Lord wrote:Lastly, there seems to be no way to fast forward the game. Yes, the fast-forward button is there, but it's only marginally faster compared to the pc.
Fast forward only makes things go as fast as possible, so if your system is already running at almost full power to do all the calculations and stuff, fast forward will not give a significant boost.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

After I've read SourceForge.net user agreement more closely, I've started to put source snapshots of each release here, to the directory with .apk files. It's a waste of space of course, but SourceForge requires that (and apparently has limitless harddrives), so you should have more convenient way of getting sources of Android releases, and my GPL compliance status should be stronger than ever before (I just hope noone will ask for the sources of older releases :roll: ).
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I've added a short compiling guide to the wiki: https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/Compili ... droid_port
Nothing that couldn't be found already, just more convenient now. Specifically, there's no information about how to build modified code yet.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Small correction to Wiki: you don't need Oracle' vwrsion of Java, I'm using OpenKDK 6 from default Ubuntu repositories, and it compiles everything without any issues.
You pnly need Oracle JDK if you're building your own Android ROM (firmware image), and everyone except Google (Linaro for example) just patch AOSP makefiles to use OpenJDK. There are some very subtle difference in Javadoc, that's why Google keeps using Sun/Oracle JDK.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Noted. Now for some patching/updating action...
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
bugmenotbaby
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bugmenotbaby »

Hi,
yesterday I tried to play Openttd on my Nexus 7.
Its really good.
But I have one problem.
Can I use the on-screen buttons as mouse buttons?
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

you mean the "home" and "back" etc ? probably not.

I just use a Bluetooth mouse on my nexus 7 :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”