OpenTTD 1.1.0-RC3

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD 1.1.0-RC3

Post by frosch »

We are getting closer to OpenTTD 1.1.0. Today we released the third release candidate.

Most noticeable is the new intro game, which was determined via a competition over the past weeks/months. We would like to thank all participants submitting pleasing games to look at! They were all nice, but only 3 could advance to the second round. Interestingly one of each of the 3 'normal' climates made it there. In the end the final vote turned out quite close; Romazoon's tropic game won by a narrow margin of 2 votes.

Now, enjoy the new intro game, and - of course - the bugfixes, which OpenTTD 1.1.0-RC3 offers as well :) Nevertheless, please keep on reporting bugs to our bug tracker. They are all welcome, even if they are duplicates :p
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Rychu
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 1.1.0-RC3

Post by Rychu »

From 1.1.0-beta5
Change: Show the length of vehicles in tiles, instead of half tiles in the depot (r21960)
train length in depot is in titles, instead of vehicles numbers. I think (feel too) that this change is bad.
Before that I always know how many vehicles are in my train.

Please, restore this change in 1.1.0 :bow:
Thank, you very much, and regard for all.
Regards Rychu | Still waiting for OpenTTD 3D, Cities in Motion 2 and SimCity 5███████████████████████
Systemy informatyczne i rozwiązania telematyczne ███ Pieczątki online metodą laserową - Świat Pieczątek™
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Previously it showed the number of half-tiles, not the number of vehicles. Though you might not have noticed because you probably didn't use NewGRFs that provide vehicles longer or shorter than a half-tile.

For vehicles you have two numbers that can be important (to the player): the number of vehicles and the length in tiles (does it fit in the station or not). Given you usually would want to make a vehicle that fits into a station, instead of one that is exactly 4 vehicles long (length: anything more than half a tile), showing the length in tiles instead of a third number, "twice the length in tiles", makes more sense conceptually.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Rychu wrote:From 1.1.0-beta5
Change: Show the length of vehicles in tiles, instead of half tiles in the depot (r21960)
train length in depot is in titles, instead of vehicles numbers. I think (feel too) that this change is bad.
Before that I always know how many vehicles are in my train.
The number shown previously was NOT the number of wagons. For network and station design the number of wagons doesn't matter too much either; what matters is the length in tiles. What is more appropriate:
Attachments
Current behaviour
Current behaviour
Oskarfors Transport, 2050-03-07.png (57.12 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
old, half-tile behaviour
old, half-tile behaviour
Brartköping Transport, 2050-05-29.png (21.48 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I prefer the new approach but... how about a small coloured line under engines/wagons that mimics a station tile?
Rychu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rychu »

planetmaker wrote:The number shown previously was NOT the number of wagons.
Thanks. I got it.
So... maybe you should create an option in advanced config, like "show train length in titles: on|off".
Currently setting is better for people who use mod with different vehicle sizes, but is make game
less "user friendly" for other people.

Think about it.
Thanks again :)

PS. Very cute short wagons :D
Regards Rychu | Still waiting for OpenTTD 3D, Cities in Motion 2 and SimCity 5███████████████████████
Systemy informatyczne i rozwiązania telematyczne ███ Pieczątki online metodą laserową - Świat Pieczątek™
Rychu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rychu »

Second topic, about polish town names.
How many town names must/can be in translation? (100? 500?)
Why am I asking? I am playing OpenTTD with Latin-Americans town names, becaus Polish is very strange.
Some of them is not normal name, too many of them is a name of a villages where lives more goats than people.
I think that names should be change. I can create .txt list of town names if you tell me how many of them is required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Poland
hint: I make list with 16 voivodeships capitals, and 363 all county seat towns.
to complete list I can add some most popular cities, which not be a capital, and county seat.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Rychu wrote:Second topic, about polish town names.
How many town names must/can be in translation? (100? 500?)
Why am I asking? I am playing OpenTTD with Latin-Americans town names, becaus Polish is very strange.
Write a newgrf which provides better Polish town names. I heard, for the largest maps with a high number of towns you may want to provide up to 4000 names. Maybe look at this newest town name newgrf or all the others, simpler ones.

The in-built town names only remain there for legacy reasons.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Hyronymus wrote:I prefer the new approach but... how about a small coloured line under engines/wagons that mimics a station tile?
It would be nice, but unfortunately there is a historically imposed inconsistency which usually noone notices, but which gets obvious when displaying vertical lines in the depot gui or simliar. [0]
The original vehicles have a length of 28 pixels in the depot view, while a lot of NewGRFs use 32 pixels. OTTD currently evaluates this flag on a per-vehicle basis, so trains with the same length in tiles can occupy different space in the depot gui, depending on whether they use 28px or 32px vehicles.
When you add a grid to the depot GUI, you cannot hide this inconsistency via obfuscation. I.e. you would need to add 4px gaps between original vehicles if there is only one 32px vehicle. (which is what TTDP does afaik).

[0] Similar issue as with catchment areas. They are inconsistent for acceptance and supply, which is preventing a show-catchment-area for already build stations for years. (Though since there are no NewGRFs involved, this could actually be made consistent via some advanced setting.)
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
mfb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfb »

Maybe you can add one digit to the display of train lengths. If adding a wagon changes the length from 6.5 to 7, you can actually see what you are doing.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

mfb wrote:Maybe you can add one digit to the display of train lengths. If adding a wagon changes the length from 6.5 to 7, you can actually see what you are doing.
And that idea led me to this: put a (small) number on/under vehicles.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

mfb wrote:Maybe you can add one digit to the display of train lengths. If adding a wagon changes the length from 6.5 to 7, you can actually see what you are doing.
the problem with that is the tile length is in 16 units, not 10, so one decimal digit won't be accurate.

here is an example how it could be done:
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Eddi wrote:the problem with that is the tile length is in 16 units, not 10, so one decimal digit won't be accurate.

here is an example how it could be done:
Those numbers are really confusing :?
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Hyronymus wrote:I prefer the new approach but... how about a small coloured line under engines/wagons that mimics a station tile?
I like this suggestion.

The train length number should be configurable, like personally I'd prefer having a more accurate resolution for the train length, including showing decimals for partial tile-lengths.

Return to “General OpenTTD”