World Across Scenario

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

World Across Scenario

Post by zc15-nyonker »

I really enjoy Linking Cities and Industries with anything available at earliest date possible In a very organized and straight path. However, the OpenTTD world generator does not favor this kind of system. I've wanted to put together a scenario like this for quite some time, but put it off because of the size of the task. I have finally started to put together a organized Scenario with several landmasses, each specifying in similar cargo types, Such as grain, livestock, wool, ect. or iron, coal ect. It also contains Cities across from each other with connected by roads, and contain processing industries depending on what the area produces, such as a area that has Arable farms will have a bakery. The Landmasses can be connected by ships, or later, air. Here is a list of the GRFs I will use. If you think a GRF should be added or removed, please post and say so.
eGRVTS
NARS 2.03 (If you don't live in North America, go ahead and change it in Scenario Editor, but I do)
HEQS (Perfect for Hauling Mine products up and down mountains)
Generic Cars 0.4 (they work great as taxis in cities)
FISH (Quite a few nice ships 1870-onward)
Sailing Ships (Ships for pre-Industrial Revolution, and good for hauling goods from Landmass to Landmass)
Total Bridge Renewal Set
Total Town Renewal Set (couldn't find thread)
FIRS
ISR (a compliment to FIRS)

I have a lot of work to do on the first Landmass yet, so don't expect a release for at least a week.
A fan of OTTD, Transport Empire
My creations: World Across Scenario
Steam power & local factories are the answer to America's problems. Oh, yeah. Representatives that represent are needed too.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: World Across Scenario

Post by planetmaker »

If you're intend on creating a _scenario_ and really want to put effort in the map design it is IMHO advisable to NOT select any vehicle newgrfs but only the town and industry newgrfs. Usually I do argue the opposite for map creation, but vehicle NewGRF mostly can be _added_ without too much trouble even though they might change some cost related values. Leaving them out for now it gives players of the scenario the choice which to add themselvs. Having a list of recommended vehicle sets certainly doesn't hurt
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

That makes sense. I'll take the vehicle GRFs out.
Steam power & local factories are the answer to America's problems. Oh, yeah. Representatives that represent are needed too.
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Well, I said don't expect a release for at least a week, but Lake Michigan's weather had other ideas. I was stuck Inside all day, so I finished Landmass 1. It consists mostly of Farms, but The shoreline has some fine factories and the game engine will build other ones. It uses these GRFs: Industrial Stations renewal, Total Town Replacement Set, Total Bridge Renewal Set, and FIRS. I do not use FIRS 0.4 because it is not compatible with TTRS at the moment, which I feel is essential to this set considering the fact that it starts in 1700. You have about a year before every horse-drawn vehicle in GRVTS is available, but that gives you time to plan exactly where you will build. Keep in mind that this is nothing compared to what the finished product will be.
Attachments
World Across 0.1.zip
(54.32 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Well, here is 0.2. Landmass 2 is based on mining and Steel production. You can ship steel from a coastal city to the Medal foundry in landmass 1. This requires lots of time and money to be profitable, so don't try this until you have a good system going. You will also need to place many bouys (someone needs to change how ship's routing works) so that may not be for you. i will put more landmasses in between these two but not for awhile. The TTRS/FIRS 0.4.0 issue has not been fixed yet, but hopefully it will be soon.
Attachments
World across 1700.scn
(150.72 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
deamonhunter11
Engineer
Engineer

Post by deamonhunter11 »

It's an okay scenario. Try and add varying hills. Also add room for highways (Two one-way roads side by side) and also add the missing links of industry chains. Also try a later start date like 1800. but on the hole it is a good scenario.
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

1700 does seem slightly early to me, now that I look at it. 1800 sounds more reasonable. I'll also try to change up the landscape. The changes will be in the next release.
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Here is 0.3. The Third Landmass is covered with pine forests, destined to be logged. The whole economy is based on lumber, including some lumber yards for exporting engineering supplies or making the forests more productive. I have changed up the landscape and start date because of a request, and the random incomplete industry chains will be done by 1.0. Rod vehicle congestion is a part of this scenario. Enjoy!
Attachments
World Across 0.3.zip
(165.56 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Finally all 4 corners of the map have been worked on. The 4th and 5th landmass are in 0.4. The 4th is on the final corner, and is very small. It is centered on the production of aluminium and cement. The 5th is in between landmasses 3 & 4. It is based on the pumping refining, and use of petroleum. It is actually very small, but when you consider the oil platforms surrounding it, it is actually quite large. You can begin to ship goods across the map from place to place, but this is slow and expensive and requires tons of money. Another change is the cement plant in Landmass 1 has turned into a fertilizer plant, which makes more sense on a farming area. As always, if there is something you want changed, please comment.
Attachments
World across 0.4.zip
(194.45 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Well, 0.5. As for new Landmasses, Landmass 6 is more of a Island. A huge city, Central Industry City, covers the whole thing. There are 4 Industries there, each simply producing finished goods and industrial supplies from cargoes that have been transported across the world a couple times from raw material to finished goods. For example, in order for engineering supplies from the Metal foundry to increase a Iron Ore Mine's production, the Iron ore must first be transported by wagon to the steel mill, and the Steel must be hauled over 2,000 blocks to a aluminum plant, and the aluminum must be hauled to the metal foundry, then hauled back to the coast of the Iron Landmass, and hauled by wagon to its destination. Complicated, but fun. Remember that long haul shipping requires lots of money to make profitable, so have a good wagon service going first. Enjoy!

Edit: a major change is that I took out TTRS and put in FIRS 5.2 because I realized I was getting way behind, and as soon as a new version of TTRS gets out, it will convert easy as that, while FIRS requires every industry to be replaced by hand. i was forced to change up the industries a little bit too. For example, instead of there being a sand pit and gravel pit, there is now a quarry, and no cement plant, so I put in a lime kiln.
Attachments
World Across 0.5.zip
(205.02 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

0.6 was easy. Landmass 7 is a island with a huge city with no industries, meant to be a destination from Landmass 6's massive city, and its goods. I also added fishing harbors and a series of rivers and canals on Landmass 1. There is tons of open space left, but I am out of ideas for Landmasses. Ideas please?
Attachments
World Across 0.6.zip
(210.98 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Finally, another release. It simply has the change from FIRS 5.2 to 5.4. Still no fix for the FIRS-TTRS relation issue. The New FIRS version is compatible with save games, thankfully, and has graphics for the sugar refinery. It also brings back the furniture factory, which I replaced on the lumber landmass. Enjoy!
Attachments
World across 0.7.zip
(211.3 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Ok, I do not like OTTD 1.1. You can't add GRF after you have created a new game, not even in the scenario editor. That pretty much screws this scenario, because I can't keep it up to date and you can't add vehicle sets. I will leave the files for anyone who wants to try a outdated scenario.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Well apparently you haven t really searched why or how this change happened. Also there is a way for those that really want s to change grf...

Also i noted in your precedent post that you apparently changed many grf since you started to create the scenario... This is ALWAYS leading to a corrupted scenario cause grf have been messsed up. Your scenario may work anyway... but just that you know that your scenario is broken, and no bug report will be accepted if someones experience it while playing your scenario.

The right way of making a scenario is:
- list the grf you will use, and stick to it (do not upgrade version as it s the same as chaging grf). Also it s very important to try the grf list and to find the right order for them in a random map/scenario that you will run just to make sure there is no bugs, and to be sure you haven t forgoten any parameter or grf.
- find/draw/import a map into .png.

Then you can do the following

- Open OTTD (latest stable release recommanded), prepair the grf list on the main menu and only then open scenario editor.
- Check the grf list to make sure you have the wanted selection.(if something as to be changed go back to main menu to do it)
- Now you are in Scenario Editor, grf list if perfect. Now is the time to import your map.
- Build your scenario the way you want, and never touch the newgrf list!

This is the only way to create a scenario with no Newgrf mess...

But I guess nothing forbid you to continue the making of a corrupted scenario as long as a you warn the people about it. It appears that sometimes, for some lucky people crash won t happem or bugsie are simply not affecting that much the gameplay....

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”