Gap years vs. streaks

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Gap years vs. streaks

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Another playing-technique question.How many value streaks of consecutive profit,or consecutive profit growth,as opposed to allowing occasional years of loss when heavy investment is made?

My Little Old World Red Railroad game just had a gap year.It's my first game to start from before the 1920s (hence Old) and in a much smaller world than I usually play (hence Little).
Building the passenger route from Breestable to Bandown Castle took a lot of construction money and populating it even more vehicle money.It also added significantly to the maintenance bills.But it seems sure to pay off in the long run.

Any comments on the general practice,or on this case?
Attachments
LittleOldWorldRedRailroad,1stJan1940.sav
(272.71 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
LittleOldWorldRedRailroad,1stJul1940.sav
6 months later,that route's trains are among the most profitable companywide.
(277.82 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Chrill

Re: Gap years vs. streaks

Post by Chrill »

In the beginning of games I always lose money for at least 2-3 years while hovering just on the limit of max loan before I slow down my construction. At that point, money quickly stops being an issue.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Gap years vs. streaks

Post by Baldy's Boss »

You don't share my determination to retire bank debt quickly.
I can understand one's profit streak not starting for a while but a mature company can still spend more than it takes in...as long as it's discretionary rather than fixed costs that can be overcome.
The investment in the passenger-mail line between Breestable Woods (odd name for a station sited by ripping up a street through a developed area) and Bandown Castle certainly seems to be offering a good return.
Attachments
LittleOldWorldRedRailroad,1stMay1941.sav
(276.6 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
LittleOldWorldRedRailroad,1stJan1943.sav
The trains from that route are just about in a class by themselves in profitability.
(280.8 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
LittleOldWorldRedRailroad,1stJan1945.sav
That project earns so much that my next very expensive now profitable project did not break my profit streak.
(283.16 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”