EMU 680 (Release 3)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

EMU 680 (Release 3)

Post by Lakie »

Hello,

This is the second public release of EMU 680.

Needs

:!: TTDpatch 2.0.1 alpha 29 or higher
:!: Multihead = 0
(NOT multihead=off)

Fixes (Release 3)

:arrow: Fixed Name, was not being changed in other Languages
:arrow: Fixed General Bugs.

:!: Added Support for the US and DB XL sets.
:arrow: Fixed Powered Wagons
:arrow: Fixed Added Wieght*

* In the DB XL set wiegh will not be normal due to passenger carrages wieght DB XL.

Fixes (Release 2)

:arrow: Wagons now add 55 tons each.
:arrow: Wagons now give 550 HP each.
:shock: This is because the wieght and power were going funny.

:arrow: Train speed set 143 MPH (230 Km/h)
:arrow: Train carrys 40 passengers now.
:arrow: The train weighs 55 tons now and has 550 HP
:shock: This is because x7 that amount is 385 tons (3850 HP)

:arrow: Fixed the sprite order. (have a dot each end. :P)
:arrow: Can build 2 coupled together.
:shock: You now build it like the ICE3, coach by coach.
There is no limit to how many groups of 7.

Set Compatablity

IT will work with the US and BD XL sets now.

It DOESN'T currently replace anything.

The Make Year is slightly different (1-3 years later)

DB XL set 0.71

It will support both types of carrage. (Local and main line)

The alignment is slightly off, in deport and information.

The wieght will be different due to the DB XL's carrage wieghts

US set 8.2

The alignment is slightly off, in deport and information.

Notes

:!: Single Train *
:!: Only works in Temperate
:!: Only Carrages are supported by this train. :P

* This Release is not compatable with older releases.
It now uses a different Vehicle ID.

To Use

You buy a " EMU 680 (Front) "
then you add 6 Passanger Carrages
This makes one Train.

You add another 7 carrages to
another train coupled on to it.

There is no limit to how many
coupled train you can have.
But 1 coupled train for realistic.

DO NOT buy another Train head.
USE carrages, otherwise you will get errors.

Engine

Year = 2004
Speed = 230 MPH
weight = 385 tons
Power = 3,850 HP *
Cost = £69,000 **
Type = Electric

* Lowered due to problems.
** roughly on easy setting

Credits

Purno drew the graphics
Me (with Patchmans help) coded it.

Screenshot

Bugs

No bugs found.
Post any you find here

Download

From TTD Graphics

And below.
Attachments
EMU_680.zip
DOS Version (Release 3)
(4 KiB) Downloaded 833 times
EMU_680w.zip
Windows Version (Release 3)
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 2603 times
Last edited by Lakie on 21 Jul 2004 11:59, edited 12 times in total.
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

beautiful indeed!

why 20 per odd wagon?, why not divide the HP by the number of powered wagons in the full standard trainset?
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Raven wrote:beautiful indeed!

why 20 per odd wagon?, why not divide the HP by the number of powered wagons in the full standard trainset?
Thanks,

The power of the total engine is 3900 (For the Locomotive) and each odd wagon is powered, so I put them to add 20 HP.

Sorry if you have a problem with that (It should help longer trains. ;))

[edit]

6 carrages for realistic train, can have as many as you want.

I'm going to sleep now, been a long day.
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Awww...It won't work with any sets? :(
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

If I'm following this corectly, it's an exercise in learning how to get a train like this to work. I imagine it might go into a fuller set further down the line.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

That looks very nice, I can't wait to see it as part of a set! Very nice work!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I suppose it would make sense for it to become part of the eventual Czech set.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

Neat, but you should try and code it as it is in real life - i.e. each of the powered cars should have 980 HP.

The train should also be built up as MB's ICEs. You can either have a set of 7 cars or two of those sets coupled. You can't make them into sets of different size, because the equipment is distributed between the different carriages.

Oh yeah, I've just noticed - BIG MISTAKE: speed is 230 km/h not mph. If it was in miles that would make this faster than the TGV and ICE3! (Although TGV did go over 500 km/h, but that was a special test set). I wish we would have tracks that could handle that speed, but the ours are only for 160 km/h max. :D

The loco should carry passengers as well.

The weight comes out weird, the whole set should be 385, but comes out as 455 or around there.

And last of all, even though you have the max speed set to 370 km/h, the train was barely able to get to 250 on a loong straight track.

Anyway, I will play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Do you think we could annotate the NFO and use it as a tutorial for other people on how to code GRF's?

Perhaps if several other sets were made, each with only one or two trains, and showing different methods, we could build some fairly decent documentation to get more people into coding.
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Whoa, looks that good :o
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Good Morning.

Lets fill any questions you might have
Marshy wrote:Awww...It won't work with any sets? :(
Not at the moment, this is due to sets using most (if not all) of the Train IDs. (I'll look in to finding a free Train ID, Most likely will not find one. :( )
ChrisCF wrote:If I'm following this corectly, it's an exercise in learning how to get a train like this to work. I imagine it might go into a fuller set further down the line.
Correct, this my 4th grf file ever, as I said Patchman helped with the callbacks. (But I'm learning at quite a quick rate. :D )
Raichase wrote:That looks very nice, I can't wait to see it as part of a set! Very nice work!
Maybe in a Set, If anyone wants it in their set, just ask me and Purno. (Since they are his graphics and mainly my code.)
Krtaylor wrote:I suppose it would make sense for it to become part of the eventual Czech set.
Yes, sounds about right. (Still need to ask me and Purno. :) )
minime wrote:Neat, but you should try and code it as it is in real life - i.e. each of the powered cars should have 980 HP.
Ok. Powered Wagons = 980 (D4 03 in hex)
Will do this today... (may not get released though)
minime wrote:The train should also be built up as MB's ICEs. You can either have a set of 7 cars or two of those sets coupled. You can't make them into sets of different size, because the equipment is distributed between the different carriages.
Very Difficault to code that, And I barely know how the callbacks work...
I am a newbe to .nfo coding... :lol:

May add it if I can.
minime wrote:Oh yeah, I've just noticed - BIG MISTAKE: speed is 230 km/h not mph. If it was in miles that would make this faster than the TGV and ICE3! (Although TGV did go over 500 km/h, but that was a special test set). I wish we would have tracks that could handle that speed, but the ours are only for 160 km/h max. :D
Ok.

Ok, I'll fix that.
(GRF files work in MPH * 1.6 for Km/h :? )
minime wrote:The loco should carry passengers as well.
How many passengers?
Tell me and I'll add it.
minime wrote:The weight comes out weird, the whole set should be 385, but comes out as 455 or around there.
Yeah, just noticed that, I'll try and fix it...
Weight of train is 230 tons (due to TTD limits)
Each carrage weighs 25 x 6 = 150 tons
(This is due to it being in hex)

So the Train should be 380 tons, I'm not sure about this...

[edit] When I add them I get 25 (non powered) and 50 (powered)

So I'll increase Train weigh by five and remove powered wieght.
This should fix the problem.
minime wrote:And last of all, even though you have the max speed set to 370 km/h, the train was barely able to get to 250 on a loong straight track.
This is due to the lack of Power compared to the weight, will be fixed by powered wagons give 980 Power more.
minime wrote:Anyway, I will play around with it and see what I can come up with.
Ok, you can if you want, I can fix most of the listed anyway.

Report any other bugs. Eg. with the Graphics
minime wrote:Do you think we could annotate the NFO and use it as a tutorial for other people on how to code GRF's?
My Original is quite heavily anotated...

I could use it as an example.

(Anotations are lost when compiled. So Only I have them. :p )
minime wrote:Perhaps if several other sets were made, each with only one or two trains, and showing different methods, we could build some fairly decent documentation to get more people into coding.

True, it could work, but coding the alignment etc. has to be done by yourself, and it is very time comsuming, and difficault.

(BTW, all alignments are custom due to the graphics, took me about 2 hours to align them, 1 to work the pattern, one for the 8 views. :) )
Saskia wrote:Whoa, looks that good :o
Thanks, Credits to Purno for the graphics.

:bow:
Last edited by Lakie on 12 Jul 2004 09:47, edited 3 times in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

:bow::bow::bow: Thanks for coding :bow::bow::bow:

But it has only 1 panto coach. Shouldn't it have one at the end and one at the front of the train? :?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Purno wrote::bow::bow::bow: Thanks for coding :bow::bow::bow:

But it has only 1 panto coach. Shouldn't it have one at the end and one at the front of the train? :?
This is made off your drawing of it. :D

(You have 8 vehicles should be a totat of 7. :D )

Noticed it here...

Hmm.... I could fix that but...

I know very little about callbacks, I'll try later...

(There wasn't on the sprite sheet so thats why...)

Also I had to change your sheet.

(Sprite Sheet removed until Purno wants me to post it. :) )
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Lakie wrote:sheet
:? What do you mean with 'sheet'?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Purno wrote: :? What do you mean with 'sheet'?
The .pcx file with all the graphics that go into the .grf.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Lakie wrote:
Purno wrote: :? What do you mean with 'sheet'?
The .pcx file with all the graphics that go into the .grf.
Ehmmmm... you can release that one.
  • You can get the sprites when decoding the grf file
  • I already released the sprites
All you've to do is credit me
Image Image
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

True.

Sprites in the correct order. :)

CopyRight Purno.
Attachments
Re-order sprite sheet to work in game.
Re-order sprite sheet to work in game.
Emu_680_sprite_sheet.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 24181 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I've done the simple fixes Minime pintted out...

Have yet to change the callback structure.

Update later, after I fix the graphics. :twisted:

BTW Minime do you want to see a copy of my .nfo file?
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Would it be possible for us all to see the .nfo? Comments would be a nice addition ;)
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I'll post a copy of it when I load XP up again.
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

One thing I forgot to mention - the second carriage from the start should be the kind with a pantograph as well (same like the second from the end, which you have correctly), with the panto on the front side. (I think Purno mentioned it already anyway)
Lakie wrote:
minime wrote:The train should also be built up as MB's ICEs. You can either have a set of 7 cars or two of those sets coupled. You can't make them into sets of different size, because the equipment is distributed between the different carriages.
Very Difficault to code that, And I barely know how the callbacks work...
I am a newbe to .nfo coding... Laughing
May add it if I can.
Yes, I understand. I've been looking at the stuff as well, and it takes some effort to figure it out. One of the reasons why I would like to turn this little GRF into a tutorial - examples are essential to the learning process. And it is way easier to learn from a 50-line NFO than a several thousand line beast which DBSetXL is.
Lakie wrote: (GRF files work in MPH * 1.6 for Km/h Confused )
i.e. km/h -- 1.6 is close to the conversion constant between the two units. I believe that is what TTD uses for the conversion as well. I agree that the way it is decribed in the documentation is quite confusing. Patchman probably wrote it that way to help our friends that still use those lovely imperial units :lol: Anyway, it's a small error, it could happen to anyone. I'm just picky, heheh
Lakie wrote:
minime wrote:The loco should carry passengers as well.
How many passengers?
Tell me and I'll add it.
Well, the passenger counts are 226+2 (1st class) and 331+2 (2nd class). Let's ignore the class distinction, since we can't use that anyway. That should give us a total of 561 passengers. That should give us roughly 80 passengers per carriage. So, if you can make both the engine and the carriages behind it hold 80 people, that would be most realistic. Otherwise make it the same as the normal passenger carriages (I think that's 40??). 560 passengers in a ttd train may be an overkill anyway.
Lakie wrote:
minime wrote:And last of all, even though you have the max speed set to 370 km/h, the train was barely able to get to 250 on a loong straight track.
This is due to the lack of Power compared to the weight, will be fixed by powered wagons give 980 Power more.
Now that I think about it, it's most likely caused simply by the fact that the train shouldn't go that fast anyway. It's designed for 230km/h, and hence the power will be enough to get it going that fast and not much more.

When fixing it, make sure you make the engine 980 HP as well, so that in the correct configuration the train has the correct HP.
Lakie wrote:True, it could work, but coding the alignment etc. has to be done by yourself, and it is very time comsuming, and difficault.
Yeah, I'm quite aware of that. What you said is even an understatement. In my opinion the correct term for that would be "a real pain in the ass".
:wink:
Lakie wrote:BTW Minime do you want to see a copy of my .nfo file?
Yes, please do that. I have decompiled the GRF and annotated the NFO as well. I will try to combine the comments and have a shot at making a nice tutorial document (hmm, good reason to play with LaTeX).

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Cheers,
minime

[WTF, I've been trying to submit this post for the last hour and it still didn't go through. Arrrgh!]

Return to “Graphics Development”