[wip] New tunnel graphic for new patchfeature

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

[wip] New tunnel graphic for new patchfeature

Post by eis_os »

Hi

As you may know I have this feature planed here.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=370140#370140

As you see they aren't good looking, aswell I have several graphic glitches.

What I would like:
Some basic sprites for all new tunnel entrace directions, it's not the goal to have the fancy looking one, I need to test them.

My goal to draw it like this:
use a normal ttd route piece (so new narrow routes and other track mods don't need anymore to recreate tunnels.
add a left sprite
add a top right sprite
add a ttd route piece ontop

Any solutions are welcome, currently the sorting gets screwed...

I know it would be A LOT easier if you have a test version, but as the code for drawing is currently not very good, I have to find a new version...

If you take this job, you will create some sprites for TTDPatch, we will deny any knowledge of this operation until the feature gets released..
:D
Last edited by eis_os on 22 Feb 2006 20:28, edited 3 times in total.
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

So, do you want a sprite for the tunnel entrance WITH the rail on top of it for each direction? I'm a little confused, but I'll see what I come up with tonight. :)
Additional Livery Set
Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

you should ask Oz if he got those concrete ones' from the "Post your current game picture"-thread in all views. they should be very usable.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

No, I need route-less sprites

A rail/monorail/maglev compatible entrance where a enough room ontop is provided so a rail/monorail/maglev route can be drawn...

Maybe Oz could reply here aswell
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Hi, all! Great to see that the tunnel graphics that I drew ages ago might come in good use. Thanks, Oskar, for working on this (and many other great) features!

My graphics drawing is coming along at a very slow drip right now, though. I've been hammering away at my Ph.D. thesis proposal, and trying to collect as much last minute data that I can. That, of course, means FAR more time in the lab, and less time for play. :(

However, we have a holiday weekend coming up, and I'm planning on taking some time off. I'll mess around a bit with the tunnel entrances, and see if I can come up with some useable sprites. 'Kay?

Cheers, and thanks again!
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

No hurry ..
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

... but if they are done, the chances are higher to get the patch sooner :D
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

hurry, hurry! ³³
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

As requested by Born_Acorn:
Attachments
tunnelofs.png
tunnelofs.png (23.37 KiB) Viewed 10164 times
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Heres some fantastic work that Oz did a while back :D

Topic:
https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

We are aware of them but they would need work to be what eis_os needs.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Heya! Sprites for the trestles are coming along nicely, guys. I should be finishing up with them this evening, or tomorrow at the latest, depending on how many beers I drink during the football game. :D

I'm posting my working sprites for everone to have a look-see. Any constuctive criticism would be helpful.

eis_os: I'm assuming that these should be broken down just like normal tunnel sprites. Is that correct?

Cheers!
Attachments
Tunnel Trestles.png
Tunnel Trestles.png (53.15 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Again, I need only sprites without routes on them, I will draw the routes seperate. This result in more flexible changeing of tracks (ballast, narrow gauge). Actually I only need two sprites per side (same as tunnels) but without track stuff in them. I can split the sprite myself.

Ohh, and I like your sprites very much, would it be possible to get for the first testing one complete set, aka, all 4 sides of a tunnel? As I said I need them for testing purporse. Ohh, If you want some front stuff (a piece that is shown before the the train travelling on the bridge, I actually need atleast two sprites. The part for the tunnel + the top part. I will try to make a sample to show what I mean ;)

PS: One thing I really need to have, 256 colors TTD Palette pngs, makes life so much easier...
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Methode 1 is better regarding other sets.

Methode 2 is better looking, but not very extensible

Methode 3? Let me know...
Attachments
enhancetunnelsbuild.png
enhancetunnelsbuild.png (9 KiB) Viewed 10046 times
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

eis_os, will this groovy new feature accomodate situations where the top track is diagonal across the tile's corner? (ie, either of the two corners opposite, not over, the entrance side -- only two out of the four would be possible, if I'm interpreting this correctly.)
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Follow-up: and will it work with roads as well?
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Both no. The first is not doable, the second (a rail on a road tunnel) could be made possible but it's to much work. It's a rail only feature
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Also roads are much wider and it would be a lot harder to make it look reasonable.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think those are two different questions.

It makes sense that you cannot put a road over a rail tunnel, because the road is wider.

Graphically, you could put a track over a road tunnel. In the code though, maybe it's different and too hard.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

krtaylor: your question, rail ontop of roadtunnel I already answered.

Actually this thread is only for the graphical part.

PS: To the HQ forum:
a) Hotlinking images isn't very nice
b) if you already tell people about a feature, read the full thread before makeing assumes who does something. Patchman will be involved in PBS fixing (hopefully)

c) Patchmans and my Avatar are really different, there shouldn't be any problems to recognize the difference
Last edited by eis_os on 20 Nov 2005 21:32, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”