Open Theme Hospital Project

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Heroism
Engineer
Engineer

Open Theme Hospital Project

Post by Heroism »

This project wouldn't happen if Ottd, General TTD patch didn't exist.

Been in this forum for a long time but decided to register now :D just telling all the theme hospital fans that there's a Theme Hospital Project like OTTD, TTD Patch, maybe could provide some feedback or suggestions, etc. Sorry if i violated any rules =x didn't mean to advertise. I know there are many Theme Hospital fans here so i don't want them missing out.

Please spread the word! register in the forums if you like and post your ideas :D like a new equipment,facility? diseases etc.

http://www.openth.org

from the website:

What is OpenTH?

OpenTH is a Open Source programming project. The goal being to clone Theme Hospital and provide a game engine build on the original Theme Hospital data files. OpenTH will be cross-platform, supporting Windows, Linux and Mac. It will work on the latest platforms without any kind of compatibility settings being required.

OpenTH will use the same graphics, sounds, animations and music from the original game, in order to run OpenTH you will have to own a licensed copy of Theme Hospital. If you've never played Theme Hospital before then I would start today, it's great fun.

When did the project start?

The project began at the end of August 2008. You wondered why the site is so bare right? There has been a lot of work on other sites defining and reverse engineering Theme Hospital, so hopefully we can build on that. Before this project began, as a method for learning DirectX, I put together some map rendering applications, take a look at Media to see the output of those tests.

How many programmers are involved?

Actually, at the moment, one(codhubiv)!!! However there are a few different projects in the community working toward a common goal, please check out http://www.rounddonut.co.uk/. Alexnader Gitter (http://connection-endpoint.de/) has done some brilliant work reverse engineering the Theme Hospital data files. It was his work that inspired me to begin the OpenTH project. The hope is to build on his work and completely define the game data. If you can help OpenTH then please email codhubiv@gmail.com

How far have you got?

I've made a lot of progress rendering Theme Hospital maps, with the help of Alex (from connection-endpoint) and the great guys at http://www.gamedev.net/ (nothing but great experiences getting help in their forums). "However" my initial work (and the source of the videos in the media section) was written in C#. Currently I'm working on porting this to C++ and unmanaged DirectX (for better cross-platform support later down the line). This is going a bit slowly as I haven't programmed in C++ since college!

How can I help?

If you can program in C++, know anyone who can, or are looking to learn. Please sign up and post to the forums. I'll look you up from there. If the source code in it's current state is of any use to you, please by all means use it.
Last edited by Heroism on 12 Sep 2008 08:15, edited 2 times in total.
Comeng 523M
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Open Theme Hospital Project

Post by Comeng 523M »

Well a piece of advice, please don't use Direct X, as many of us are Mac or Linux users and we'd like to play too. OpenGL works on all three as far as we know.

Don't know how I can help, I can't code to save my life.
Heroism
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heroism »

Comeng 523M wrote:Well a piece of advice, please don't use Direct X, as many of us are Mac or Linux users and we'd like to play too. OpenGL works on all three as far as we know.

Don't know how I can help, I can't code to save my life.
I'm not one of the coders :( Just helping the project grow, il pass along to the programmer =x or you could go and post and ask him yourself xD
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

It'd be fun if it got to a complete fun game, but that'll take quite some effort, time and problems...

I'm merely a pixel artist, I don't think I can help. Good luck anyways, keep us informed!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Heroism
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heroism »

Purno wrote:It'd be fun if it got to a complete fun game, but that'll take quite some effort, time and problems...

I'm merely a pixel artist, I don't think I can help. Good luck anyways, keep us informed!
This game actually use sprites and palettes thou

Ahh will do if anything new arises..
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

this is an awesome project, Theme Hospital was (or is, technically) truly another Bullfrog gem. luckily i still have my copy! :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Yeah i still play the original quite a lot, i just wish there were more and varied levels

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

"Currently I'm working on porting this to C++ and unmanaged DirectX (for better cross-platform support later down the line)."

You do realise that cross platform usually includes Linux and Mac OSX and more than Windows Vista, XP, 2000...

Stick with C# (using mono under Linux/OSX) and the Tao Framework, this gives you Windows, Linux, OSX and you won't even need to cross compile!
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

If I had £1 for every Open Theme Hospital project, I'd have...about £6 now.
they all failed, miserably.

But good luck...
If you do manage to do this, do some more believable illnesses, beliveable, but comical.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Beardie »

An Open Theme Hospital Project, wow didn't think anyone cared for the game the Classic game nowadays. I still like to play now and then, its a pure classic.
Previously Known As Beardie27
Check out my UPDATED! Screenshot Thread
Check out my Railway Photography and Deviant Account

LaSeandre
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by LaSeandre »

I currently have it installed and last played it 2 weeks ago.
codhubiv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by codhubiv »

Hello Guys,

It's me, CodHubIV from http://www.openth.org

Chad alerted me to this forum and the discussion going on, so I had a little read.

I actually phrased it quite badly on the site, the plan is actually crossplatform (Windows, Linux, Mac) DirectX would have just been for the Windows rendering only.

However that's pretty much dropped now, as I'm busy talking to the owner of the OpenTH project (different project same name!) and it's looking promising that we might be able to merge.

Once the two code bases are combined, we're really going to be breaking ground here. Both projects are now fully commited to portable code.

Watch this space (well, the website space anyhow!) :P
Heroism
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heroism »

codhubiv wrote:Hello Guys,

It's me, CodHubIV from http://www.openth.org

Chad alerted me to this forum and the discussion going on, so I had a little read.

I actually phrased it quite badly on the site, the plan is actually crossplatform (Windows, Linux, Mac) DirectX would have just been for the Windows rendering only.

However that's pretty much dropped now, as I'm busy talking to the owner of the OpenTH project (different project same name!) and it's looking promising that we might be able to merge.

Once the two code bases are combined, we're really going to be breaking ground here. Both projects are now fully commited to portable code.

Watch this space (well, the website space anyhow!) :P
:D Can't wait for the official news at the site
Jolteon wrote:If I had £1 for every Open Theme Hospital project, I'd have...about £6 now.
they all failed, miserably.

But good luck...
If you do manage to do this, do some more believable illnesses, beliveable, but comical.
lol this are some ideas i came up with, i got bored :p
there should be over 9000~ lol jk

i know diseases in the game are funny :D but sometimes we can be serious xD

Diseases like:

*A Case of the Mondays - Stalker of overweight comic strip characters (Cathy, Garfield, etc) and the women who follow their daily adventures.
Sprite - Nothing?
Cure: General Diagnosis -> Ward -> Psychiatry(hypnotizes them to not watch them? Lol)

*Acne(Too much inching) - Acne is an inflammatory skin condition characterized by skin eruptions on the face, chest and back. Acne occurs more commonly in adolescent males than females and is usually chronic. Acne may reappear throughout life. AKA I CANT STOP SCRATCHIN!
Sprite - A simple change in the sprite would make this easy! adding a pink dots on the faces! lol.
Cure: Pharmacy

*Alcoholism - A dependence on alcohol, both physically and mentally, sometimes resulting in chronic disease and the loss of interpersonal, family and work relationships.
Sprite - Eh ? Nothing! (if you want make him carry beer bottle lol and walk weirdly :P)
Cure - Psychiatry -> Pharmacy (medicine to make them hate alcohol products)

*Boogie Fever - Can pop up anywhere good music is played, i.e. in car, at home, at friends. Symptoms include dancing while sitting, drumming on something that is not a drum, or just getting up and dancing. See Isaac Hayes, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, et al.
Sprite - Nothing
Cure - Ward -> General Diagnosis -> Psychiatry

*Broken Leg - can't feel my legs :(
Sprite - Fractured ?
Cure - General Diagnosis -> cardio-> Xray -> Fracture Clinic

*Donut Syndrome - Eating donuts all the time
Sprite - Police uniforms!
Cure - Pharmacy(a cure to make them hate donuts forever!)

*Emooing - too emotional in life, results very very bad.
Sprite - Emo hair
Cure - Psychiatry -> Hair Restorer

*Foreign Accent Syndrome - This syndrome causes people to speak their native language as if they had a foreign accent. Wacky, no?
Sprite - Nothing
Cure - Ultrascan -> Psychiatry

*Genderitis - I don't like my gender, i hate myself, i want to change my gender.
Sprite - Make them go in DNA Fixer and just change Male->Female Sprite vice versa.
Cure - General Diagnosis -> Blood Machine -> Scanner -> Dna Fixer

*Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - Its not fun to say, but ironically, this is the medical term for the fear of long words.
Sprite - Nothing
Cure - Psychiatry

*Head hurts - Getting tons of migraines, feels like someone bashing your head.
Sprite - Nothing or Sad face
Cure - Scanner -> Pharmacy

*Musicaholic - Listens 24/7 to music
Sprite - Headset on the person?/ipod
Cure - Psychiatry(Hypnotizes them to stop listening to hate music lol)

*Jumping Frenchmen of Maine disorder - Those who suffer from Jumping Frenchman of Maine have highly exaggerated startle reflexes, and tend to leap about wildly, whooping and flailing their elbows ineffectually when they are frightened. The disorder was named after a pair of French-Canadian lumberjack brothers who worked in Maine.
Sprite - LOL XD
Cure - Ward -> General Diagnosis -> Cardio -> Xray -> Scanner -> Blood Machine -> Psychiatry

*Nintendonitis - Muscle pain around the hands and arms from playing Wii too much. This usually means you're addicted.
Sprite - No Sprite
Cure - Psychiatry (Yesh they persuade you that playing wii = bad for health lol xD)

*Pet no love - Allergic to pets
Sprite - Nothing
Cure - General Diagnosis -> Cardiogram -> Blood Machine -> Pharmacy

*TH Addict - Playing theme hospital too much, impersonating as a doctor
Sprite - Doctor ? lol
Cure - Psychiatry

*TTD Addict - Playing too much Transport Tycoon games, does repetative "Choo2x" train sound with people
Sprite - XD
Cure - Psychiatry ?

*Warcraftinitis - Playing too much World of Warcraft, No Social Life, Eat-Play-Eat-Sleep Daily.
Sprite - Someone carrying a psp :p
Cure - Ward -> General Diagnosis -> Psychiatry
Last edited by Heroism on 13 Sep 2008 03:09, edited 4 times in total.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

Brilliant! :D

"The hospital administrator is CHEATING!"
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
Heroism
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heroism »

AdditionalData wrote:Brilliant! :D

lol! i remembered when i first cheated in theme hospital, and everyone heard that here XD

:D Anyone here interested in helping with Sprites/Palettes? Think of a new Vending machine for example, or more plants o.o
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Sacro wrote:Stick with C# (using mono under Linux/OSX) and the Tao Framework, this gives you Windows, Linux, OSX and you won't even need to cross compile!
Pfft, stick with something sensible like C and SDL (or similar) and you can run on more or less any system under the sun. :P
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Beardie »

AdditionalData wrote:Brilliant! :D

Arrrrr Yes, those were the days, pure classic line, thing is she would conitnusly say it for like five minutes becuase you held to key combination down for like five minutes,

That also reminded me of the cheat that allowed you to select a Level off the game board,

Just wondering are you thinking of putting the mouse shooting game in, i loved it.
Previously Known As Beardie27
Check out my UPDATED! Screenshot Thread
Check out my Railway Photography and Deviant Account

Heroism
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heroism »

*Update*
Project Merge!
OpenTH.org has merged with OpenTH (another project same name). We now have an SVN repository to cover the new joint project. Keep checking back for code updates!

https://openth.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/openth/
You can use Tortoise SVN(http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/)to connect.
Dave

Post by Dave »

No need for Bloaty Head really.

Some say I invented the condition "Bloaty Penis".
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

Dave Worley wrote:No need for Bloaty Head really.

Some say I invented the condition "Bloaty Penis".
And that if it were up to you, al the diseases would be sexually-related jokes.

All we know is, he's called Dave Worley.
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData

Return to “Off-Topic”