Weekend in January...

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Weekend in January...

Post by Dave »

I want to take the girlfriend away to a European city for a nice long weekend in mid January.

I'm aware it will be cold. I don't care about weather (I went Iceland last winter)

So, people of Europe, sell your city to me. If you live in a dump, sell your favourite city to me.

Serious suggestions only... Continental Europe or Scandinavia preferred.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Geo Ghost

Re: Weekend in January...

Post by Geo Ghost »

If you don't mind cold weather..
I found Bergen to be a beautiful city. Not sure how it is in winter, but was still an amazing place. Very wet though apparently...

If you fancy going a bit further, Tromso is a stunning place in winter too. Expensive mind you, but the mountains and such are a truly stunning sight. As well as the possibility of seeing the Aurora Borealis :)
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

I adore Budapest. Hungarian food is a delight, and would be perfect for cold winters. The baths are also pretty special, and (I just checked) are open and popular in winter. Would probably be a nice way to warm up! The city's also just pretty, and the night life (if that's what you're still looking for) is incredible - the ruin bars are a must-visit.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Pingaware wrote:I adore Budapest. Hungarian food is a delight, and would be perfect for cold winters. The baths are also pretty special, and (I just checked) are open and popular in winter. Would probably be a nice way to warm up! The city's also just pretty, and the night life (if that's what you're still looking for) is incredible - the ruin bars are a must-visit.
Also if the bomb scare is over the labyrinths are a good place to visit. Lots if fantastic vegan restaurants too!
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Come to Stoke! When you'll return home, you'll have a sudden new found appreciation for wherever it is that you live!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Been to Berlin? Really fascinating city.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Five responses ... All english.

Anyone else?

Flickr

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Sure. Munich is worth a visit, if I'm any judge, and it's actually one of the cities I don't think are too bad visiting in Winter as lots of the interesting stuff is inside anyways. But then again lots of cities are worth visting, so whatever ...

... also, January next year I probably won't be here, so I guess that'd be a chance not to miss ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Don't come to Stockholm in the winter time. The public transport grinds to a halt.

Other than that, Stockholm really is beautiful that time of year, especially if there is large amounts of snow. The water is all covered in ice, the city really does become a winter wonderland. I don't know if you've been here before. If not, there is a great amount of museums and sights to see. Many state owned museums (15 in total) will be free as of 2015 so that'll help keep costs down too.

We seem to get every second winter mild. Previous winter was very cold so we should have a mild winter if we are to follow historical patterns.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Düsseldorf is quite splendid, there's a whole heap of museums and craft things there if that is up your street.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Come to Manchester :mrgreen:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for all the top tips... Of course I love Kate very much so money was no object...

So two £79 returns on the Eurostar and three nights in a B&B in Bruges have been booked.

(I am, of course, being very flippant. Bruges is a gorgeous town and the B&B has the best rating of any hotel I have ever seen on TripAdvisor with at least 100 ratings)

Stockholm is on my list, but fear it's rather too expensive... Especially since Kate has a bizarre aversion to budget airlines...

Flickr

Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Dave wrote:Five responses ... All english.
Want us to write it in French instead then? ;)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Maybe not for the winter, and it is a bit dear, but I'd say Copenhagen - maybe try a summer weekend some time!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Dave wrote:Five responses ... All english.

Anyone else?
Who are you calling english!? I'm hungarian i just live over here ;)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Dave wrote:Thanks for all the top tips... Of course I love Kate very much so money was no object...

So two £79 returns on the Eurostar and three nights in a B&B in Bruges have been booked.

(I am, of course, being very flippant. Bruges is a gorgeous town and the B&B has the best rating of any hotel I have ever seen on TripAdvisor with at least 100 ratings)

Stockholm is on my list, but fear it's rather too expensive... Especially since Kate has a bizarre aversion to budget airlines...
Insert Colin Farrell quote here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Ameecher wrote:
Dave wrote:Thanks for all the top tips... Of course I love Kate very much so money was no object...

Being Irish is very much a part of who I am. I take it everywhere with me.
- Colin Farrell
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

I also will stick my oar in and say Budapest. Fantastic city. Plenty of Soviet trolleybuses and Tatra trams.

On a serious note though, take a trip down the Danube and go past the Parliamentary buildings at night. Superb.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Chrill wrote:
Ameecher wrote:

Being Irish is very much a part of who I am. I take it everywhere with me.
- Colin Farrell
Touché

Return to “Off-Topic”