Landscape type problems

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

OverTilt
Engineer
Engineer

Landscape type problems

Post by OverTilt »

Okay, I pose a few conundrums to ya.

I'm sorry if these have been answered before, but I've been looking for an answer for the last hour and can't find what I'm looking for:

When creating a scenario, I can't for the life of me find out how I produce a rainforest area, without which, any factory is essentially useless for production as I can't get it any wood from the lumber mill I can't create. I also have the problem that when I try to make a water tower in a city with desert areas (desert produced using the "place lighthouse" function) it tells me I can't put the water tower anywhere but on desert areas, which is what I'm doing in the first place.
I've checked and double-checked the tile type, and it clearly states "desert". So why can't I put one there?

so. In conclusion:
1: I can't make rainforest areas
2: I can't build water towers on desert tiles.

I DO have the very latest nightly build (downloaded it not ten minutes ago and tried it), so I don't understand what's going on.

Would that someone made a scenario creation tutorial. I can't find one no matter how much I google.

Also: Hello.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Landscape type problems

Post by Darkvater »

OverTilt wrote: 1: I can't make rainforest areas
2: I can't build water towers on desert tiles.
1. Select in the main menu the 'Desert landscape' and press 'Create Scenario' There by just make land with the terraforming tools you make green, aka rainforest areas (you can populate this with trees). If you press the 'desert' button, that are will slowly turn into a desert
2. You need a town to build a water tower. Find a free tile and press the 'water tower' button
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
OverTilt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OverTilt »

It seems as though you may not have read my entire post. I've been trying to put the water tower in a city. On a desert tile. It's not working. Is there a different desert tool than the one marked "lighthouse" perhaps?

Are you saying that whatever ground is green is automatically rainforest? That seems odd to me since I still can't build lumber mills on green ground.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you very much for your quick answer. I hope to figure this out soon.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

OverTilt wrote:I've been trying to put the water tower in a city. On a desert tile. It's not working. Is there a different desert tool than the one marked "lighthouse" perhaps?
You can't choose yourself where the water tower will be built. You can only "propose a city". And if the tool doesn't find a spot that it likes, it simply tells you that it can't build one. This makes more sense for other industries, the water tower is the only 1-tile industry, that's why you noticed it.
OverTilt wrote:Are you saying that whatever ground is green is automatically rainforest? That seems odd to me since I still can't build lumber mills on green ground.
Any ground that is green an has a tree on it is considered rainforest. Just plant a tree and put the sawmill on top. :)
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
OverTilt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OverTilt »

Ah! I got it working now. I apparently had all the wrong trees in that area I wanted the Lumber Mill. I had palm trees and stuff. Should have seen it coming. And the city with the desert worked out fine, too. I just needed more deserts around it and a slightly bigger city.

So thank you both very much for your patient listening to my incoherent whining. I'll try not to let it happen again...

A scenario tutorial would still be neat, though.
---
"You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

OverTilt wrote:A scenario tutorial would still be neat, though.
Go right ahead and write one. (I mean that!)
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
OverTilt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OverTilt »

Right! :D

I think someone else would be more suited than me, perhaps. I'm still not finished with my first map! :)
---
"You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
Rexxie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rexxie »

I might make one if I'm bored sometime ;)
- Rexxie
Sanity is a full time job.
Altaree
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Altaree »

Sorry for the necro, but I have having this same problem right now. I can't get the dang water towers to grow. I am using the 10029 nightly build.
Altaree
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Altaree »

Through trial and error, I figured out which building in town to demolish to get my tower in. Now the only problem is the dang city keeps wrecking it to put in buildings. LEAVE MY TOWER ALONE! sigh...
Altaree
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Altaree »

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?
--Altaree

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”