Company Password Doesn't Persist

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sidhead
Engineer
Engineer

Company Password Doesn't Persist

Post by sidhead »

Hello,

Had a quick search but couldn't find previous mention.

Is it a bug that the company password doesn't persist when you load a save game that was saved when it had a password? Or is it some sort of decision to be that way?
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Company Password Doesn't Persist

Post by skc »

Correct, it doesn't persist - I think it's got something to do with finding a secure way to store the password in the savegame files AND being able to restore it back when the game it loaded again. The devs & more knowledgeable users will be able to advise how accurate (or not) my understanding is.
There are works in progress to add 'authorisation keys' as an alternative to using passwords. If my understanding is correct, this will allow securing of both a game on a server & companies within a game, in a manner that round-trips through the save/load cycle.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

skc wrote: 22 Mar 2024 07:16 There are works in progress to add 'authorisation keys' as an alternative to using passwords.
this would be quite nice if it gets done sometime before I die. Could even be inspired by phone lock screens, and give you 9 circles you draw between to 'unlock' your company, or a built in number pad like phones too, just bash in your code that they can securely keep in a file because its all in house stuff.

Alternatively players can just not be using their bank pin codes for passwords, do people actually use things that need securing? I just use a random sequence like 4714 for my company passwords lol, are people really using important stuff? that seems just their own fault, and not something for developers to be too cautious about, we players have got to be trusted with something.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

This has been solved here for about 20 years :-)
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”