Close windows with the right mouse button - as default setting

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Do you think the option to close windows by RMB should be enabled by default?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 5

LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Close windows with the right mouse button - as default setting

Post by LaChupacabra »

I have known this game since version 1.4.0, i.e. for almost 10 years. During this time, developers have introduced hundreds or even thousands of changes. Most of them were minor fixes, but there were also added epoch-making features that greatly enriched and made the gameplay more pleasure. Not all changes were good, but never mind. Probably anyone who has known this game for a little longer could point to a whole list of their favorite changes.
For me, if I had to choose one of all these countless changes and functions, the best one of all, it would be... the option that allows you to close windows with the right mouse button. Seriously. Nothing else made using this game's interface so much easier.

I was prompted to raise this topic by one of the other recent suggestions regarding hotkeys. One of the propositions was to add a shortcut for closing the last window.
Mister__X wrote: 05 Aug 2023 19:56
  • We have an hotkey to close all windows, but i would like to have an hotkey to only close the last window. For some reason i always want to use backspace for this, but that doesnt anything for this game. So i would personnally vote for binding this to backspace as default.
lostpawn wrote: 06 Aug 2023 08:41 To close the last window: right mouse click to close any window works fine for me
Rogier89 wrote: 13 Mar 2024 17:12 I would like this too (closing last window). Other, similar games, handle Backspace as the hotkey to close the last opened window.
I had the same idea before the RMB window closing feature was added to the game. Once I learned about this feature, the idea became obsolete. So I guess the two players who mention this idea still didn't know about this option.
I suppose it's quite a common problem and expectancy for a solution to make closing windows easier, although this solution already exists but new players don't even know about it.
Close window on right-click option.png
Close window on right-click option.png (74.44 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
A few versions of the game ago there was a discussion on github about changes to the default settings to make them better for new players. As a result, six very good changes in my opinion were introduced such as setting non-stop orders as default. But somehow the topic of closing a window with the right mouse button didn't even come up in the discussion. No offense, but I just don't understand this. Why? It makes the game so much easier. I don't know, maybe this function has some contraindications, maybe closing via RMB may be unexpected for some players, or maybe it was just an oversight? I don't know. That topic was closed a long time ago, so I couldn't add another suggestion there.

Anyway, I think it would be good if this feature was enabled by default.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Close windows with the right mouse button - as default setting

Post by skc »

Having the RMB set to close windows, will prevent you from moving the viewport of any viewport windows you open unless you also change that setting.
Screenshot_20240315_100844.png
Screenshot_20240315_100844.png (84.11 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
This may be why "Close window on right-click" is NOT enabled by default - the default value for "Viewport scroll behaviour" is to use the RMB to move the map about the place, including inside extra viewport windows.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

skc wrote: 14 Mar 2024 23:13 Having the RMB set to close windows, will prevent you from moving the viewport of any viewport windows you open unless you also change that setting.
Except close-on-right-click is ignored if you're right-clicking on a scrollable viewport.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

peter1138 wrote: 15 Mar 2024 10:39
skc wrote: 14 Mar 2024 23:13 Having the RMB set to close windows, will prevent you from moving the viewport of any viewport windows you open unless you also change that setting.
Except close-on-right-click is ignored if you're right-clicking on a scrollable viewport.
I just double-checked, using 13.4, with the settings in the screenshot I provided.
I opened a viewport window using the 'V' hotkey, and tried to right-click & drag around in it. Instead, it got closed and the main window started to move around in response to the right-click & drag.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

I guess that bug was fixed after 13.4. It works in the 14 beta/RCs.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

peter1138 wrote: 15 Mar 2024 11:40 I guess that bug was fixed after 13.4. It works in the 14 beta/RCs.
Yes, this problem no longer exists. (I didn't know about it)
So? Is there any reason why this can't/shouldn't be the default?

By the way, I have no idea where these tool-tips for RMB are. I clicked on everything and they didn't appear anywhere.
RMB description.png
RMB description.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
I didn't write this suggestion for myself, I've had this feature turned on since the beginning of its existence and I don't insist on it, but I know how much it made the game easier and I just think it would be worth making it available to new players.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”