[SOLVED] how and where to clone git source without git account

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

[SOLVED] how and where to clone git source without git account

Post by ChillCore »

tried compiling OpenTTD for a long while ... did not go as planned
where do I download a version controlled version without being forced to have a git account?
Last edited by ChillCore on 07 Feb 2024 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: where ... ???

Post by ChillCore »

I do mean version controlled .. I can download source just fine ... not what I want
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
ChillCore wrote: 05 Feb 2024 08:49 tried compiling OpenTTD for a long while ... did not go as planned
where do I download a version controlled version without being forced to have a git account?
How do you prepared your compiling run? With ./configure or with cmake ..?

Maybe you only tried to apply the outdated way.

Tschö, Auge
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

You can clone the repository from GitHub without needing an account.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Auge wrote: 05 Feb 2024 09:29 Hello
ChillCore wrote: 05 Feb 2024 08:49 tried compiling OpenTTD for a long while ... did not go as planned

Tschö, Auge
installed debian and git ... tried checking out ... asks for 'git' details
jfs wrote: 05 Feb 2024 09:39 You can clone the repository from GitHub without needing an account.
how? I did try
Last edited by ChillCore on 08 Feb 2024 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
ChillCore wrote: 05 Feb 2024 15:23
Auge wrote: 05 Feb 2024 09:29

installed debian and git ... tried checking out ... asks for 'gi't details
Oh, I thought, you maybe failed to compile the code because of a change, made a few years ago (from ./configure to cmake ..). Now it looks to me like you won't even get there.

Before you can perform git checkout you have to clone the repository with ...

Code: Select all

$ git clone git@github.com:OpenTTD/OpenTTD.git
... what clones the repository into a subdirectory of the current directory. Does that work?

Tschö, Auge
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

sadly enough still no success ... but I did get a bit further now ...

~/Documents/openttd_git$ git clone git@github.com:OpenTTD/OpenTTD.git

Cloning into 'OpenTTD'...
The authenticity of host 'github.com (140.82.121.4)' can't be established.
ED25519 key fingerprint is SHA256:+DiY3wvvV6TuJJhbpZisF/zLDA0zPMSvHdkr4UvCOqU.
This key is not known by any other names.

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no/[fingerprint])? y
Please type 'yes', 'no' or the fingerprint: yes

Warning: Permanently added 'github.com' (ED25519) to the list of known hosts.
git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

as this a a new machine and the debian install is pretty fresh I'm not ruling out that being the cause ...

I'll have to experiment a bit more .... maybe trying to clone some other repository to see if it happens with all of git (for me) or just openttd

ps: maybe this topic should be moved to the problems section?

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Alternatively you can try cloning via HTTPS instead:

git clone https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD.git
Cloning via an SSH connection does require an account, but cloning (and pulling) via HTTPS does not.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

jfs wrote: 07 Feb 2024 10:42 Alternatively you can try cloning via HTTPS instead:

git clone https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD.git
Cloning via an SSH connection does require an account, but cloning (and pulling) via HTTPS does not.
Cool ... that worked ... thank you so much for your patiance and help .. much appreciated ;)

Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
jfs wrote: 07 Feb 2024 10:42 Cloning via an SSH connection does require an account, but cloning (and pulling) via HTTPS does not.
Oh. @ChillCore: I'm sorry for my misleading advice. I didn't realise that this could be a pitfall.

Tschö, Auge
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Auge wrote: 07 Feb 2024 12:19 Hello
jfs wrote: 07 Feb 2024 10:42 Cloning via an SSH connection does require an account, but cloning (and pulling) via HTTPS does not.
Oh. @ChillCore: I'm sorry for my misleading advice. I didn't realise that this could be a pitfall.

Tschö, Auge
No worries that was the first command I found also and also did not know

Now to get it to compile ... after I find all dependencies and correct versions of those, having some minor issues with cmake and no clue how it should work with that 'build' folder ... when I cd to it and do 'cmake ..' it throws me an error about there not being a cmakelist.txt file in there? anyhoo need more reading up on that subject as this is new to me ....
also tune my sytem more first... difficult to read and small fonts everywhere by default .. anyhoo

Still apreciate the effort though ;)
Last edited by ChillCore on 08 Feb 2024 13:51, edited 2 times in total.

Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
ChillCore wrote: 07 Feb 2024 16:40 Now to get it to compile ... after I find all dependencies and correct versions of those, having some minor issues with cmake and no clue how it should work with that 'build' folder ... when I cd to it and do 'make...' it throws me an error about there not being a cmakelist.txt file in there? anyhoo need more reading up on that subject as this is new to me ....
Wrong order here. Everything has to be done in the directory build, which replaces the old directory bin. So first enter directory build, next run cmake .. and then as last make.

Tschö, Auge
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Auge wrote: 08 Feb 2024 08:35 Hello
ChillCore wrote: 07 Feb 2024 16:40 Now to get it to compile ... after I find all dependencies and correct versions of those, having some minor issues with cmake and no clue how it should work with that 'build' folder ... when I cd to it and do 'make...' it throws me an error about there not being a cmakelist.txt file in there? anyhoo need more reading up on that subject as this is new to me ....
Wrong order here. Everything has to be done in the directory build, which replaces the old directory bin. So first enter directory build, next run cmake .. and then as last make.

Tschö, Auge
oh boy ... I'm an idiot :oops:

I did as you say, first go to the build folder and then do 'cmake ..' but wrote it wrong in my post ...
the real issue (in terms of compiling) was that I had no space after cmake and three dots instead of two ...
sorry for wasting your time ... compiled and it runs ... yay

ps:
in the meantime I have already switched to the MATE desktop and installed Comic sans MS while turning up my fontsize ... I can read properly-ish again ... should have done that first, hehe

thanks for the help once again, much apreciated :bow:

ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [SOLVED] how and where to clone git source without git account

Post by ChillCore »

*ignore*
... 'deleted' cause I edited before reposting edited and reposted below ... instead of posting once after edit
Last edited by ChillCore on 09 Feb 2024 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

28602 commits (you train peeps are c razy xD) before I fork and will try to revive my tgen gui patch and maybe ... or not ... fix it with a preview window (will take some time ... my sight has gone real bad over the last 10 years ... as predicted ... no promisses just threats ... friendly ones though xd)... might need some help after I manage ... IF I manage ... to update it while bringing the seed back ... it was working in my patchpack ... you had the choice to pick a random new seed or not ... it did work as intended ... also in my tgen gui as well as normally in all modes ....

also the tgen thingy ... it worked as in having a choice ... new seed or not ... while changing all the rest to your leisure ...

first get it updated and merged with that checkout and yeah ...
giving myself some courage ...

tgen (by the one before me) is such a marvelous patch and it deserves more than this and that seed is just what it needs also for peeps to
generate the perfect map ... besides loading heightmaps that is xD

I mean RichK had such a great patch and yeah I only expanded by a bit ... way less then what it can do ... removing the seed and not using it is a big waste ... IMHO .. @you know who you are

^^^ not picking a fight but yeah removed to soon that seed it was ... let me get something workable first .. maybe
Last edited by ChillCore on 08 Feb 2024 21:12, edited 4 times in total.

ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

^^^ sidenote and just abusing my topic ... I don't really get the point of cmake ... clone a bunch of things and add a f*** of files in build and bloat? for what reason ... ??? not even having the source files there ... so I have to modify that prestine source anyways?
really ???

when I clone I tend to modify the source and so that 'not-bin' to keep source prestine becomes MOOT ... else if I did not care about source ... I would get just a compiled version no?

so yeah except for keeping the source clean ... which we did by branchings anyway ??? aight??? what is the point of cmake ... I was not here so yeah really want to know if someone is willing to explain without feeling attacked for whatevs

^^^ just being me sorry

also that 'social' crap is gonna go in my version .. feel free to ignore that part ... just saying

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

ChillCore wrote: 08 Feb 2024 20:57 also that 'social' crap is gonna go in my version .. feel free to ignore that part ... just saying
Keep in mind that it will do nothing if there are no plugins installed. That was one of the design criteria.

You could also make your own plugin that uses the data supplied from the API in a different way, such as logging to a file, or keep track of your own playtime, without sending it to anyone else. While it's called "social", there is no requirement that the API is actually used to connect to others.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

jfs wrote: 09 Feb 2024 08:31
ChillCore wrote: 08 Feb 2024 20:57 also that 'social' crap is gonna go in my version .. feel free to ignore that part ... just saying
Keep in mind that it will do nothing if there are no plugins installed. That was one of the design criteria.

You could also make your own plugin that uses the data supplied from the API in a different way, such as logging to a file, or keep track of your own playtime, without sending it to anyone else. While it's called "social", there is no requirement that the API is actually used to connect to others.
I see ... so yeah I will not touch that then ... nor install any pugins xD

still not getting what cmake brings over the old way? other than your checkout remains prestine untill you patch it?
does it make it better for peeps on the backend? or can I get a link to where the advantages are/were discussed?

peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

peter1138 wrote: 09 Feb 2024 13:19 The cmake change is here: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/7270
thank you Peter1138

not saying I understand, yet, but thanks for the link .... reading ... slowly

Return to “General OpenTTD”