Town growth

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AlphaCentauriBear
Engineer
Engineer

Town growth

Post by AlphaCentauriBear »

I know that town starts growing when I set internal bus route there. What are other means for that? Does delivering goods help?
I have an airport that covers almost whole town and I have two planes landing there regularly but the town is NOT growing? Why?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Town growth

Post by Redirect Left »

For a town to grow, you need to deliver cargo either from outside, or within the town. I think internally cargo is cargo, it doesn't matter if its passengers from inside to inside, or mail to a city 500 tiles away.
You have up to 5 stations to deliver cargo to/from within any period (i think 50 days), after you've got 5 stations of any type already active, further ones don't increase it any more (again, to my knowledge).

A town will NOT grow if it cannot build roads, either because settings disable it, or all of its possible routes are blocked, ie, there's a rail station immediately at the end of all the roads, so it can't go beyond there.

There are extra requirements if you're not using temperate or toyland themes. In sub arctic you need to deliver food (only if the town is above snow level), in sub tropical, you need to deliver water if the town is in a desert.

There's a bit of info in the manual here regarding town growth, but if you do that any you can't get any luck with that town, throw us a savegame and I'm sure one of us will be able to figure it out for you.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

AlphaCentauriBear wrote: 27 Jan 2024 15:24 I know that town starts growing when I set internal bus route there. What are other means for that?
Having 5 separate stations with frequent service.
Does delivering goods help?
no, it does not matter what things you pick up or drop off. (except in snow/desert, where you have to provide food/water)
I have an airport that covers almost whole town and I have two planes landing there regularly but the town is NOT growing? Why?
one station is worse than no station.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

AlphaCentauriBear wrote: 27 Jan 2024 15:24 I have an airport that covers almost whole town and I have two planes landing there regularly but the town is NOT growing? Why?
Tile with the station sign needs to be within the town zone for it to count for growth.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

_dp_ wrote: 29 Jan 2024 12:25 Tile with the station sign needs to be within the town zone for it to count for growth.
And for that reason it's usually better to build a station south of the town than north of it, if you can't build it inside the town.
AlphaCentauriBear
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlphaCentauriBear »

Eddi wrote: 29 Jan 2024 11:46 one station is worse than no station.
How come?

Return to “General OpenTTD”