Town stops accepting goods

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AlphaCentauriBear
Engineer
Engineer

Town stops accepting goods

Post by AlphaCentauriBear »

It happens quite regular to me. When I start transferring goods from the factory to nearby town it almost immediately stops accepting goods. Any clue why and what can I do about it?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Town stops accepting goods

Post by Redirect Left »

AlphaCentauriBear wrote: 27 Jan 2024 15:22 It happens quite regular to me. When I start transferring goods from the factory to nearby town it almost immediately stops accepting goods. Any clue why and what can I do about it?
To my knowledge, this means the specific building that was accepting the goods was replaced with a different building. For larger towns or cities this is unlikely to happen, as at least one building will always accept goods.
I thiiiink certain buildings accept goods, like a bank is needed for a town to accept valuables (only within range of the bank), if not then its only towns over a certain size accepts them, and it went under that population threshold.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
AlphaCentauriBear
Engineer
Engineer

That is right. Some commercial building that was accepting goods turns into apartment that is not. The question is why it happens immediately after I start moving goods to this town? Maybe it is actually happening by itself under the scene and I just need to pick bigger towns to deliver my goods to avoid such problems? Or is it specifically because of my service?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

AlphaCentauriBear wrote: 27 Jan 2024 16:01 The question is why it happens immediately after I start moving goods to this town?
More than likely just coincidence. As soon as the town enters a period of growth, it will A) build roads outwards, or/and B) replace buildings that are already built, as well as new buildings where there's space. In this case the B side is killing the route.

I would let the town pad itself up a bit before moving goods to remove that risk, it will to my knowledge -always- accept passengers & mail to a degree, so try delivering them at first, and take your goods to already well built towns.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
AlphaCentauriBear
Engineer
Engineer

Yep. That is my thought too.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I think you can also increase the chance of the town building new houses in the outskirts, rather than replacing existing ones, by building a road network for it ahead of time, but I don't remember exactly.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Houses have fractional acceptance for cargo, you can check it with ? tool. To get goods acceptance you need to have a sum of at least 8/8 in the coverage area of your station. If you barely have enough what usually happens is that town starts growing when you start delivering goods. And while growing it also replaces houses so some of the ones that accepted goods get replaced and you no longer have full 8/8 so station doesn't accept goods anymore. Simplest way to avoid that is just have a better coverage, preferably in the town center, if you have like 16/8 to start with it's very unlikely to drop acceptance.

Also there is an issue with map generator making towns overpopulated for their size, so when they start growing towns downgrade houses on the outskirts and that also contributes to the chance of losing goods acceptance.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

most commercial buildings accept 3/8 goods, so you need 3 of those in range of the station, having more than 3 makes it less likely that replacing a building will stop the station from accepting goods, they are usually found in the center of a town.

a similar (but worse) problem is with food, as the food-accepting buildings tend to get pushed outwards as the town grows, further and further away from the town center.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

It helps if you are using an industry set that has industries designed to accept such items.
A grocers can accept food, a hardware store would accept goods.
With such industries, you don't need to rely on house-type buildings to do those jobs because they have a tendency
to be replaced when you're not looking.

Return to “General OpenTTD”