Best passenger transportation

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Best passenger transportation

Post by jfs »

Sure, if you count in VacTrain NewGRFs then train wins on speed. But not in the base game (with the plane speed factor at 1/1).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the main limitation of planes is runway approach and taxiing. a well optimized maglev station can certainly beat an airport on throughput.
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Planes are more efficient at carrying large amounts of cargo over longer distances (such as one end of the map to the other as long as tange isnt an issue), the only drawback being space at the airports they serve.

Trains are only really better on a well optimised network, or on point to point routes unconnected to each other.

There's benefits and drawbacks to both, and each are useful in their own way.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

A train station with four tracks can handle 10,000 units of production each month easily, and this capacity could be increased if more tracks are added.As for the airport, due to the bottleneck in its runway system, it can only manage to handle 3,000 units of production each month.
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

I suppose it would depend on the speed and length of the train.

A slow, long train would be immediately outperformed by supersonic airplanes, for example.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I tend to only use aircraft in multiplayer games, where I need to quickly amass the dollarydoos.
In single player with just me, are trains really the most efficient money maker? Honestly I doubt it, given the effort it takes to make one, destroying your way through farms & sometimes towns to get closer to the middle. They look pretty though, especially my one giant network approach instead of common (but not all!) AI point-to-points everywhere.

I use BRTrains 2, so its possible something in them gives it an edge, or the opposite of an edge. I only ever use the default vehicles when I do mass AI testing, and there i just build a simple coal route so my company doesn't sink whilst the AIs are fighting each other. So its possible my opinion is hugely wrong based on that alone.

If you are serving big cities, so you're not hanging around waiting for a full train worth of self-loading cattle, its probably one of the best you can get without doing the giant aircraft (i believe the default is called the 'Dinger') at much faster rates. I play with cargodist, so sometimes the passengers aren't going where you're going anyway, and that'll affect your $$$ income.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I think Trains and Planes are the Best passenger transport mode! :lol:

Christopher Tarana

Return to “General OpenTTD”