Dedicated Server on Synology

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

LukeC88
Engineer
Engineer

Dedicated Server on Synology

Post by LukeC88 »

Hi All,

Firstly let me explain what I am trying to achieve. I have a home synology server which can run docker. I want to run Openttd dedicated server at home. So me and my friends can jump in. Problem I am having, is actually installing it. I have gone through loads of docker images but none of them work.

Have I done something wrong or is there a tutorial out there that I can follow?

Thank you in advance
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Dedicated Server on Synology

Post by skc »

I've got no experience running OTTD servers, but I have lots of years of technical support work under my belt.

"it doesn't work" is too vague an explanation, as there are many possible places in the sequence of getting a server running that it could fall over.

My questions, which will help everyone in assisting you are:
1) does the docker image terminate immediately?
2) does it stay running but OTTD doesn't fire up
3) does OTTD fire up but you can't connect to it?

If you are able to get to a console/terminal session on the Synology, and can manually start the OTTD docker image, you should be able to also attach to the image console.
That, and any log files (not sure where they'll be, other's might be able to help you out), will give you and us a LOT more information to be able to assist you better.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

My first guess is that maybe the images you have tried are for x86/x64 while the Synology machine is probably running an ARM or MIPS architecture, so it isn't compatible on a hardware level.
LukeC88
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LukeC88 »

Thank you for replying. Yea sorry if I wasn’t clear.

So the steps I have taken
1. Installed the image and is able to run it

I am actually unable to access it via the browser to adjust the settings.

The synology I have is DS723+
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

OpenTTD doesn't have a web-based configuration interface, so you'll need to consult with whatever docker image you used.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
LukeC88
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LukeC88 »

Ah ok. As well as that, i cant connect to it. Just says unable to connect when i do it via openttd. My port is 4729 for example, so i run a command connect SERVERIP:4729 and nothing.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

LukeC88 wrote: 10 Jul 2023 11:29 Ah ok. As well as that, i cant connect to it. Just says unable to connect when i do it via openttd. My port is 4729 for example, so i run a command connect SERVERIP:4729 and nothing.
Are you able to get to a console on the Synology? SSH to it, or is there a 'terminal' from within the web-interface?

From there, you should be able to attach to the docker image's console, and see what's going on in more detail.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”