Suburbs grow instead of urban core

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

codycodes1234
Engineer
Engineer

Suburbs grow instead of urban core

Post by codycodes1234 »

Hello i am new to the game and i just wanted to know how to promote growth of the urbanized portions of the city instead of having suburbs covering most of the landscapeImage
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suburbs grow instead of urban core

Post by Eddi »

towns in this game have "zones", rings around the town center, which define which houses get built. the relative sizes of each zone are somewhat fixed, the only thing you can do is preventing towns from building roads by themselves, so they don't sprawl outwards as much.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

This seems to me like the influence of ITL houses graphics or something similar. I've never seen it without this graphic before. :shock:
In addition to banning cities from building roads, you can also reduce their growth rate, although this won't matter for a city this big, especially if it's a large city.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

No, this doesn't look like the effect of ITL houses. The town grows in a perfectly standard way, i. e. around its origin tile rather than around the stations.

This particular town has a relatively large degree of sprawl due to its inefficient road layout. At a quick glance, there seems to be 2 to 3 road tiles per each house tile. You can try tweaking the town layout setting, or indeed just disallow road building by towns altogether.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Seconding the road layout thing. If you destroy several of the unneeded roads in the town, it will hopefully fill those spaces out with buildings instead, which should result in an overall denser town before it starts expanding outwards again.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

jfs wrote: 04 Jul 2023 10:59 Seconding the road layout thing. If you destroy several of the unneeded roads in the town, it will hopefully fill those spaces out with buildings instead, which should result in an overall denser town before it starts expanding outwards again.
Is it correct that towns can build 1x1 tile houses only directly adjacent to a street?

So if "_" indicates a street tile and "h" indicates a house tile you can only have

_ h h _ h h _

and so on if you go in one direction, but never

_ h h h _ h h h _ ???

Meaning if you have a "block" larger than 2 tiles wide, the "inner" tile will remain "open land", like
_ h x h _ h x x x h _

if "x" is an "open-space" tile?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is some special logic to fill the inner tile of a 3x3 block in a grid layout.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Eddi wrote: 04 Jul 2023 12:00 there is some special logic to fill the inner tile of a 3x3 block in a grid layout.
Is there any documentation on that procedure outside the source code itself?

And in blocks larger than 3x3 the inner tiles do not get filled at all, right? At least that was my impression from all my recent games.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ebla71 wrote: 04 Jul 2023 16:21
Eddi wrote: 04 Jul 2023 12:00 there is some special logic to fill the inner tile of a 3x3 block in a grid layout.
Is there any documentation on that procedure outside the source code itself?
unlikely
And in blocks larger than 3x3 the inner tiles do not get filled at all, right? At least that was my impression from all my recent games.
correct.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I wouldn't agree to those innermost tiles not getting filled "at all", as I've had some bigger quadrants than 3x3'ers that got entirely filled...

Idly, I'm now dealing with a heavyweight that's shrinking due to its bus feeders having been mostly replaced by subway feeders.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

make sure the center tile remains a road tile, otherwise the town cannot grow at all.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”