Reserve part of train for specific station

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Reserve part of train for specific station

Post by Redirect Left »

This sounds like something that may exist, but is lost in settings and buttons somewhere, so I will simply ask and hope someone knows, perusing the manual didn't give me much.
An issue I quite often have is, i do long networks, where you can get from any station to any station in usually just 2-3 trains, much like the UK network. Some of those trains (...also like real life) are absolutely crowded by the time they reach certain stations, and due to using cargodist, sometimes those stations have no one, or few, getting off, but lots wanting in, and this causes the local authority to stop being friends with me.
So finally, the question. A lot of my longer distance trains are basically 3 units slapped together, sometimes 2, sometimes more than 3. Is there any mechanism in the game where i can say, use these units, and reserve this specifically last unit (or carriage, if it can be done on a more granular level). So lets say on a 3 unit train, reserve the middle one and only enable its usage from this station onwards? I am trying to avoid simply cloning trains endlessly until it jams up a network hoping that fixes angry authorities.

If it helps, I also primarily use JGR's patchpack, rather than vanilla, unless I am testing something specific (AI's usually).

Thanks in advance! :D
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Reserve part of train for specific station

Post by jfs »

I think JGR has a patch that allows you to set the maximum load percentage? If you set the train to e.g. max 67% load on all stations before this major one, then it should have a third of the cars free when arriving there.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Also JGR's loading trough option can be exploited to loading/unloading only part of the train, regardless of amount of cargo waiting/delivered.
Trick is to use terminal station, shorter than train lenght + loading trough order - loading/unloading will be abandoned for cars which doesn't fit along platform.
I'm using it to deliver supplies to multiple industries with just one train.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Through loading doesn't work for passengers though. It's disabled if the train can't carry any non-passenger cargo
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i think you're running yourself into a corner here, trying to "fix" an immediate problem, when really you should take a step back and fix an underlying problem. the underlying problem here being unable or unwilling to provide enough capacity in your network to handle all the passengers.

for example, you can tweak the "effect of distance on demand" setting to lower the distance people travel.

PS: cargodist has some compounding issues when links are overloaded.

Return to “General OpenTTD”