Un-profitable Trains!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Un-profitable Trains!

Post by CTarana45 »

Un-profitable Trains! :lol: When a train becomes un-profitable, I find changing it, Easy! I replaced two electric trains with regular trains including the tracks!

Christopher Tarana
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Un-profitable Trains!

Post by skc »

CTarana45 wrote: 12 May 2023 01:28 Un-profitable Trains! :lol: When a train becomes un-profitable, I find changing it, Easy! I replaced two electric trains with regular trains including the tracks!

Christopher Tarana
Some times that works, some times it doesn't.
It all depends on why they are unprofitable in the first place.
Pinstar
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Un-profitable Trains!

Post by Pinstar »

Most of the time an unprofitable train is a symptom and not the root cause. Even if you swap it for one that is better, more reliable or has lower operating costs, you've at best turned a small loss into a small profit.

The biggest culprit are routes that don't have enough cargo to move. Most routes are "Dead Heads" where you only make a profit in one direction. You get nothing for the return trip. If that one profitable trip has empty cars, you can end up with an unprofitable train. While you can only do so much to pump up an industry's numbers, you might find additional sources of supply that you can transfer to that station. That might solve the root cause.

Return to “General OpenTTD”