Sign Groups

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

StarlightRunner
Engineer
Engineer

Sign Groups

Post by StarlightRunner »

As someone who enjoys the roleplaying potential of OpenTTD, I tend to make liberal use of Signs in my longer games. Whether they're lakes, terrain features, districts of large cities, or transport infrastructure, they all have potential to get a Sign if my company touches them.

Over time, though, the Sign List becomes a bit cumbersome. I find myself having to affix complex prefixes, just to sort it properly.

As such, I'm wondering if it's possible to create groups of Signs within the Sign List, such that they may be easily referenced by the player.

Let me know what your thoughts are, and whether this would be an appropriate enhancement for the game. Thank you.
North American urbanist and transportation enthusiast.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Sign Groups

Post by ebla71 »

Since the question of signs was brought up here - I have a related one:

I like to indicate a lot of "real-world" places in the scenario editor which are later to be replaced by stations or waypoints but the signs placed in the scenario editor vs. in-game seem to be handled differently. In particular, the former ones cannot be deleted or modified anymore in a regular running game. This makes sense under most conditions but is there a (maybe inofficial?) "hack" to also edit signs placed in the scenario editor in a running game?

I know that you can change savegame to scenario file extension, load to scenario editor, change, change back filename and continue - but I need this too often to make that procedure really viable.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ebla71 wrote: 27 Apr 2023 20:33the signs placed in the scenario editor vs. in-game seem to be handled differently.
signs are owned by the company which places it, but scenario editor places signs as "OWNER_DEITY".
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Eddi wrote: 27 Apr 2023 21:51 signs are owned by the company which places it, but scenario editor places signs as "OWNER_DEITY".
The person who picked this variable name had a good sense of humor :lol:

Still, any chance to modify or remove the "DEITY-owned" signs in a running game, without the need to return to the scenario editor? Even if it is super inofficial?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the least invasive way i could come up with right now would be a game script which replaces all "DEITY" signs with "company 0" signs with the same content.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

You can compile your custom version of the game which would allow you to edit deity-owned signs. From what I understand, it is sufficient to edit this one line, maybe also this one. The game should still be fully compatible with the original distribution, as long as you don't try to edit these signs in multiplayer (in which case it would probably crash).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Seems like this would be a reasonable request to make of the devs over on github

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”