What if I want to hide a NewGRF downloading from Bananas?

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

What if I want to hide a NewGRF downloading from Bananas?

Post by Limyx826 »

As far as I know any NewGRF uploaded to Bananas cannot be removed, but I heard that you could hide a NewGRF to be downloaded by new players that only old save files can be download the hidden NewGRF. There is a method of doing this is found in the forums, but it is years ago and before the Bananas server and API change. So, what I want to know is that whether it is possible to do so?
I am Limyx826.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What if I want to hide a NewGRF downloading from Bananas?

Post by Quast65 »

I am not really certain, but I believe the trick was to upload an update (with just a new version number, no major changes) and then set the required version of OpenTTD very low, or at least lower than the newest version.
Also what works is just altering the description, with something like: **OBSOLETE, DOWNLOAD BLABLA.grf INSTEAD**
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Re: What if I want to hide a NewGRF downloading from Bananas?

Post by kamnet »

You can change the maximum version to 0, and no newer versions of OpenTTD will see it.

Also, I would advise against renaming old versions to "Obsolete". It would just look bad if a player was using an old save game or scenario that required the older file but they didn't have it. If the player has newer version that is compatible, then the game will go ahead and use it.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”