Auz Town Set as a Industry

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Auz Town Set as a Industry

Post by GarryG »

RoyalExamination9410 wrote: 27 Feb 2023 06:23 Is there a general "Food" cargo that can be used to stock up shopping centres and different stores?
The industry set your using should operate as normal .. the idea of the set I did just allows some extra places to deliver things too.

I made these to free up some IDs in my industry set which one of these days I hope to finish making it.

Maybe others who make Industry Set might make sets similar to what I have done.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
chillspot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chillspot »

probably not as useful for ur coding of ur industry chain or house set, still wanted to refer to this, if u don't mind

viewtopic.php?t=68894
house placement tool
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

GarryG wrote: 26 Feb 2023 04:06
RoyalExamination9410 wrote: 26 Feb 2023 02:57 Is there a tentative list of industries and cargoes?
The cargoes I hope I can include some from various industry sets.

At the moment I have:

Car Sales Yard - Vehicles, Vehicle Parks and Goods.

Service Station - Gas, Petrol, Chemicals, Oil, Vehicle Parts, Parcels and Goods.

Shopping Center - Fish, Dairy Products, Flour, Fruit, Vegetables, Meat, Processed Foods, Oysters, Coffee, Nuts, Salt, Sugar, Packaging and Food.

Department Store - Furniture, Merchandise, Electrical Goods, Packaging, Textiles, Parcels and Goods.

Hardware Store - Builders Supplies, Sand, Gravel, Cement, Chemicals and Goods.

I've tested with default Industries, FIRS, OTIS and my own set (that I working on). And these town industry buildings I made will only accept the cargoes that that particular industry produces. It ignores the others.

I also added a Courier Service (changed the graphics to 2x2 size so can find easy) as a Industry set that accepts and produces Parcels. Undecided if leave this in the set or remove it as not sure how it will interfere with cargo in other Industry sets? Maybe make this a stand alone Industry set.

If you have a suggestion for a cargo that could also be delivered to a town let me know. Water is one I been thinking about.

Hope that answers your question.

EDIT:

Latest version at the top in the first entry.

Cheers
Perfect!
But maybe you forgot about alcohol and cigarettes :-)

Have a nice day my friend!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

belgi wrote: 27 Feb 2023 18:25 Perfect!
But maybe you forgot about alcohol and cigarettes
Alcohol is accepted in the Shopping Center .. I just forgot to show it.
The 16 cargo slots are full in Shopping Center so no room for Tobacco.
Maybe I could add a Pub (Hotel) and it can accept both of these cargos.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So far it seems to work with XIS too, but you have to use the No Courier version!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Are these "industrial houses" generated during the game instead of normal houses or only when generating a new game?
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

They generate at the start of a new game. Almost every town gets one or more of these buildings.

I have not experimented with a small town that might only have 1 or 2 of these buildings and see what happens when the town gets bigger if more are generated later. I will have to look at that over the weekend.
Soot Happens
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

This is essentially similar to ECS houses, except that for all industries, while ECS Houses were more intended for ECS and perhaps not compatible with the new FIRS4.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

When I first started to build this set my intentions was for it to be used with just my Industry set that I been working on.

Then got idea since had a few cargo slots spare they might also work with other industry sets.

Now I wonder .. maybe could have made several sets to suit each industry set?

EDIT:

Having a look at "Cargo Labels" shown at
https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/CargoTypes
It displays the cargoes used by 7 Industry sets.

So wonder if you like me to make a separate Town Industry set for each of them?
Hope to include as many of there cargos as possible that would be delivered to a town.
Basically cargos that are produced in secondary Industries and some cargoes from farms.

These Town Industries will not interfere with the Industry it self .. they just give more places to deliver your cargos. A few tests I did .. I build a railway station near one town and sent cargoes by train to that station then transferred it to trucks for delivery to several nearby towns.

One mistake I think I did make in the sets I did .. Department Store and Shopping Center should have changed the code so only 1 will be built in a town. .. If you want me to change this I will.

Cheers
Soot Happens
RoyalExamination9410
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RoyalExamination9410 »

Would you be interested in adding a newspaper/book cargo? This would be made from paper and shipped to stores for sales and distribution.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

RoyalExamination9410 wrote: 03 Mar 2023 06:52 Would you be interested in adding a newspaper/book cargo? This would be made from paper and shipped to stores for sales and distribution.
What industry set are you using?

In the industry set I been trying to make I have the paper mill producing paper and it goes to a printer and from there in produces Merchandise which cover books, papers and stationery supplies.

If I made a Industry Printing Mill for the Auz Town Industry Set and added the Merchandise it might interfere with the industry set your using.
Soot Happens
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

And it builds during the game, it was definitely not there before
Attachments
Campbell & Co., 21. úno 1957.png
(1.71 MiB) Not downloaded yet
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 10:13 And it builds during the game, it was definitely not there before
Yes! I confirm. Even my game builds industries in cities while playing ;-)

Have a nice day!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 10:13 And it builds during the game, it was definitely not there before
Good to know .. it places some in towns at start and adds to towns as well. Good news.

I tried in scenario editor with a medium town and it started with all the industry buildings from the town set and I wonder if the town got larger would any of those building move positions as some buildings suppose to build in TOWNZONE_EDGE, TOWNZONE_OUTSKIRT or TOWNZONE_OUTER_SUBURB . I increase the size of the town and none of them moved further out. But maybe in a normal game they might.
RoyalExamination9410 wrote: 03 Mar 2023 06:52 Would you be interested in adding a newspaper/book cargo? This would be made from paper and shipped to stores for sales and distribution.
I been checking how many cargos other industry sets have. The maximum number of cargos that can be used is 64 and FIRS, OTIS and XIS are at their limits. 2TT has 39. ECS has 41 and my set that I am slowly working on at moment has 60 but intend to end up with 64.
Soot Happens
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

XIS has a paper mill and then a printer that produces goods and mail. The goods will be newspapers, books and magazines.
On another point, the games with your houses have been short so far, and I'm intentionally playing with extremely slow city growth, so I don't know how it's going to play out yet.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

GarryG wrote: 02 Mar 2023 23:58 One mistake I think I did make in the sets I did .. Department Store and Shopping Center should have changed the code so only 1 will be built in a town. .. If you want me to change this I will.

Cheers
I reckon make the limit proportional to the town's size. Something like: 1 of department store OR shopping centre per 10k (or part thereof) population.

So a town of 2346 could have a single department store OR a single shopping centre, a town of 15642 would be able to have one of each OR two department stores OR two shopping centres, a town of 29715 could have 3 (all dept. stores, all shopping centres or a pair of one with a single of the other), and so forth.
When building the 2nd and subsequent choice, favour the least present (i.e more likely to build a shopping centre as the 2nd if the 1st is a department store).

Variations: threshold population is different; subtract 1x threshold from town's population before working out how many to build (e.g a town of 29715 can only have 2, with threshold of 10k, instead of 3 in the example above).
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The water tower is also a bit problematic. In XIS, it accepts chlorine, let it be, the water gets rid of germs. But, for example, in NAIS he has nothing to accept, he doesn't catch on. I haven't tried interacting with all the sets yet, but I doubt I really have all the industrial sets. However, it is good eyecandy stuff. For example, like a fire tank. I would not delete it, such a bank from ECS houses is also just eye candy in FIRS....
I also thought, the name "industry" is a bit misleading, when it doesn't actually produce anything, on the contrary, it only demands finished products. Wouldn't something like "Commercial Buildings" be more appropriate? Then various hotels, motels, restaurants could be added... Alternatively, a swimming pool, where the water is treated by the way, if there are no natural, recreational centers...
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It's a little strange that a small town like this has both a Hardware Store and a Petrol Station.
What looks like a giant warehouse are new truck stops, drive-throughs.
Attachments
Muir & Co., 13. bře 2015.png
(1.06 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

A little bathroom thought.... What if you created a courier service for the other parts as well, just accepting and producing mail? Or even goods.
Here it works a little differently than in Australia, but the essence is the same, only the distances are much shorter and sometimes a courier needs a bike instead of sending a small package between others by mail on the train... And there are enough small postal vans in different sets.
Our courier service is often used by e-shops. These could produce goods or mail, in the Australian version parcels.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

skc wrote: 03 Mar 2023 13:30 I reckon make the limit proportional to the town's size. Something like: 1 of department store OR shopping centre per 10k (or part thereof) population.
See if I can learn how to code to do that .. if anyone already know the answer how to do that be appreciated.
Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 11:04 XIS has a paper mill and then a printer that produces goods and mail. The goods will be newspapers, books and magazines.
Sets that already use all 64 cargos players best NOT to try and use cargoes from other sets. For instance the Parcel Cargo uses ID 63 so what ever cargo is 63 in XIS and other sets the Parcels will override.
Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 11:04 On another point, the games with your houses have been short so far, and I'm intentionally playing with extremely slow city growth, so I don't know how it's going to play out yet.
It could take many weeks of game play before any one has a result what happens when towns get larger.
Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 13:43 The water tower is also a bit problematic. In XIS, it accepts chlorine, let it be, the water gets rid of germs. But, for example, in NAIS he has nothing to accept, he doesn't catch on.
If a industry set does not have Chlorine and/or Water in their cargos then the water tower just sits there and looks pretty. TTD, ECS and OTIS have water in their cargos. But FIRS, YETI, XIS and 2TT do not. FIRS, OTIS and XIS has Chlorine but the others do not. Maybe Chlorine could be removed from the Water tower I did and just keep the water.
Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 13:43 I also thought, the name "industry" is a bit misleading, when it doesn't actually produce anything, on the contrary, it only demands finished products. Wouldn't something like "Commercial Buildings" be more appropriate?
That makes a lot of sense. I shall change it.
Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 13:43 Then various hotels, motels, restaurants could be added... Alternatively, a swimming pool, where the water is treated by the way, if there are no natural, recreational centers...
Some of those would make sense .. but first see if I can learn how to make things get added as the towns grow. Some of those could then include Tourist. ECS and 2TT both have Tourists in their sets.
Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 15:36 It's a little strange that a small town like this has both a Hardware Store and a Petrol Station.
What looks like a giant warehouse are new truck stops, drive-throughs.
That is a problem and at moment not know how to control it.
Argus wrote: 03 Mar 2023 17:46 A little bathroom thought.... What if you created a courier service for the other parts as well, just accepting and producing mail? Or even goods.
I can add mail that no problem.

Where I get the parcel idea from is from trains. When I worked with them in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. We actually carried parcels on the passenger trains and the Post Offices would bring their mail bags to the stations to send to other towns. But the railways stopped providing that service and now we have the Couriers Services and the Post Office has their own trucks to carry the mail.

Railways here have to types of Goods. We have small freight where could send just a few packages in the guards van on a goods train as it was slower but cheaper then sending by passenger train, and we had heavy freight where a freight wagon was needed.

Hope I answered every ones question.
Soot Happens

Return to “Graphics Development”