Eurovision Song Contest, 2023

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: Eurovision Song Contest, 2023

Post by Chrill »

I'll be honest with you, once we select Loreen she will jump up to my P2. It's Käärijä, Loreen, and Alessandra Mele.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 08 Mar 2023 14:29 I'll be honest with you, once we select Loreen she will jump up to my P2. It's Käärijä, Loreen, and Alessandra Mele.
Definitely a fan of Käärijä being on that list. Like, for some reason they have entirely taken over my music, I love that song so much its ridiculous. I'm surprised my neighbour hasn't filed a complaint yet.

The UK has chosen *drum roll*, Mae Muller! With the song 'I Wrote A Song'. You know what? I neither love it, nor hate it. I can see it doing well though, I really can. It might connect with enough people to get into eh, top 10? The song name and lyrics are a little clever with the name I Wrote A Song, that's pretty good.

Also recently posted to ESC's YouTube, Israel's 'Unicorn'. I find it catchy, could do well?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe. This will do well, I am sure. 🇦🇹

My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I see the prices of hotels in Liverpool are through the roof for these days now. £240 for the Saturday night at a Premier Inn only just within 10 miles of Liverpool!

I've got a spare bedroom in Manchester, a 45 mile drive away... you can rent it for £239/night :mrgreen: minimum 10 nights payment required
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote: 12 Mar 2023 09:48 I've got a spare bedroom in Manchester, a 45 mile drive away... you can rent it for £239/night :mrgreen: minimum 10 nights payment required
Absolute bargain! I can see PilotHotels going a long a way!
Chrill wrote: 09 Mar 2023 09:29 Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe. This will do well, I am sure. 🇦🇹
Can't lie, at first i didn't rate this song at all. But now it has hit Spotify without the added non-song bits in the video on ESC youtube, I'm really loving it. Definitely a grower on me. Although the Spotify effect has had negative repercussions for me on some songs, Let 3's Mama ŠČ! (link opens in Spotify) falls very flat without all the show of the stage around them for example.

It's going to get really tricky to pick out a top 10 later on for the big night and even the semi-finals, I think we've got the strongest set of songs in the tournament for a while going on this year.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 12 Mar 2023 15:49I think we've got the strongest set of songs in the tournament for a while going on this year.
I agree it will be difficult, but for the opposite reason. Few entries stand out, it's a weak year. Finding a top 10 in every semi final will be tough because there will likely only be 4-5 songs per evening I want to see in the finals.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 12 Mar 2023 17:05
Redirect Left wrote: 12 Mar 2023 15:49I think we've got the strongest set of songs in the tournament for a while going on this year.
I agree it will be difficult, but for the opposite reason. Few entries stand out, it's a weak year. Finding a top 10 in every semi final will be tough because there will likely only be 4-5 songs per evening I want to see in the finals.
I do enjoy how each year we're polar opposite with favourites and preferences. It does make these yearly threads more interesting. Although if I recall correctly, historically you tend to come off better when it comes to predicting the qualifiers and top 10 on the final night, i will hope to rectify it this year! For me its hard as after spending a lot of time listening to them all, they've mostly all grown on me with more listening.

Over the last week Eurovision has released lots of music videos, or more polished performances of songs. So if you're interested in that, worth checking our their youtube again. Some are very similar, or nearly identical to national performances, such as Loreen's Tattoo. Whereas many are quite different, like Cha Cha Cha, where thankfully he still wears his lovely green shoulder shirt, and Cyprus's Break A Broken Heart, where the video is very well produced and really adds to the song. I'd also say the same of Greece's music video for What They Say.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'll just come out and say it. My favorite for 2023 is us. It's Sweden.

It's a good song. It... might be better than Euphoria. I'm sorry, every Eurovision fan in the world ever. I think it's a better song. There's so much emotion, it's more raw, more authentic. Euphoria is a brilliant pop song, it was fresh and new and genuine. But Eurovision has grown a lot since then and this song fits perfectly in 2023.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Whilst it isn't my favourite, I will say Tattoo has grown on me. I think its slowly drifting into my top 5.
I think Sweden has a decent chance of winning, even though it isn't my favourite song. For me this years winner is between Italy, Sweden & Finland, but I do suspect a chance that Ukraine may nab it with sympathy votes. I've certainly got my favourites, but in my heart my top 10 is probably no where near the actual top will be on the night.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I like Italy every year, any powerful pop opera song that comes through San Remo will do well with me. Usually not enough to win, and I don't necessarily see Italy finishing that high.

I love Finland, Cha Cha Cha is amazing, but it will struggle in some parts of Europe I think. It's definitely a song that could bag both 12s and 0s.

Ukraine will surely score sympathy votes from the viewers, but will probably not fare great with the juries. Even last year, juries put Ukraine 4th or something like that, but they wrecked the televoting. They'll probably not win either this year.

Sweden always do well with juries, and this year we stand a decent chance of doing really well with viewers too. That's why I think Loreen will become a two-time winner. In terms of scoring well with juries and televotes alike, I'd say Norway and Israel are strong competitors too.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

We're now just 6 week away from Semi-Final #1!
I've been listening to Eurovision stuff almost exclusively for a while now, because yes, I am that level of Eurovision fan, and oh boy. Have i got feelings about some of them.
Firstly, I have come to adore Frances entry, and whilst I don't think it has a big chance at winning, i have certainly come to enjoy it.
I would also be surprised if Australia's entry doesn't give them their highest entry since 2016, where they came 2nd, after that they have performed rather lacklustrely. I think this is a really good chance to seek back into the top 5, definitely top 10 i'd say.
The other big mover for me is Romania's entry, which for some reason is now an accidental banger in my head. Despite me thinking it was well below a 5/10 on release.

Ultimately for me this year has so many fantastic entries, and it really is a shame that Sweden decided now is the return of Loreen, as it means they all have to go up against what I suspect will turn out to be an immovable mountain. I also really love how despite Italy turning up with the exact opposite of their winning 2021 entry, Zitti e buoni, I suspect their chances of winning are almost just as high. Due Vite is a beautiful song, and I hope it is reflected in scoring when Eurovision Week arrives.
I also only recently learned that the Italian selection show, the Sanremo Music Festival is actually the basis which Eurovision was adopted from, so its no wonder they're pretty good at choosing songs. I had always assumed the inspiration, if any, would have been something like Melodifestivalen.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 28 Mar 2023 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Melodifestivalen is old, but it was launched a few years after Eurovision Song Contest. And it only started doing the semi finals maybe 20 years ago, the early 2000s somewhere.

Yes, San Remo is the original. It keeps the orchestra, which Eurovision dropped after 1999 which was a shame, but I think it's a cost measure. Small nations can't afford it.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 28 Mar 2023 22:15 It keeps the orchestra
I'm hoping that doesn't prove to be a crux for Due Vite. The vocals are amazing, but the orchestra really adds so much to the San Remo performance.
I really do hope Eurovision allows Marco to use a recording of an actual orchestra in the competition, and isn't reduced to some flat background instruments instead of the power of a full orchestra.

Also in my listening of all the tracks, I've come to also really respect the UK entry, at first I was like eeeeh. It's just a fairly meh pop song with typical lyrics about betrayal in love. But it really has grown for me, also the music video clearly had a lot of money and great editing thrown at it, so I hope it doesn't flop for them and make it worth the effort & £ spent.

I also just noticed, i apparently don't know any good synonyms for 'hope', i use that word far too often, not just here but in life in general...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I loved We Are One, doing some other listen through's I'm really digging Cha Cha Cha, I think it's at least top 15. Australian's Promise IMO could be a banger top 10, maybe top 5 if they can pull off a great stage performance. I didn't dig the first verse but then they kick it into overdrive, it's nice. Sweden's Tattoo is also nice, it could be top 10 as well. Another top 10 for me IMO is Azerbaijan's Tell Me More.

Germany's Blood & Glitter, Norway's Queen of Kings and Czechia's My Sister's Crown are kinda meh for me. San Marino's Like an Animal is a dud.

I've got more to listen to, but so far I've not yet found that one song that really resonates with me.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

kamnet wrote: 30 Mar 2023 03:41 I loved We Are One, doing some other listen through's I'm really digging Cha Cha Cha, I think it's at least top 15. Australian's Promise IMO could be a banger top 10, maybe top 5 if they can pull off a great stage performance. I didn't dig the first verse but then they kick it into overdrive, it's nice. Sweden's Tattoo is also nice, it could be top 10 as well. Another top 10 for me IMO is Azerbaijan's Tell Me More.

Germany's Blood & Glitter, Norway's Queen of Kings and Czechia's My Sister's Crown are kinda meh for me. San Marino's Like an Animal is a dud.

I've got more to listen to, but so far I've not yet found that one song that really resonates with me.
I think Cha Cha Cha and Tattoo are not just top 10, they are top 2. Czechia, Israel, Norway, and Ukraine also looking to find a podium position. Ukraine courtesy of being Ukraine, not courtesy of the entry itself.

And with that, how about what we in Sweden call "kamikaze tipping" (way too early and with insufficient data :mrgreen: )

10. Italy: Marco Mengoni - Due Vite
9. Austria: Teya & Salena - Who The Hell is Edgar?
8. Norway: Alessandra - Queen of Kings (It went viral too soon)
7. France: La Zarra - Évidemment
6. Spain: Blanca Paloma - Eaea (I really don't get this one. Worst entry of the year? No, but definitely outside the top 10 for me)
5. Ukraine: Tvorchi - Heart of Steel
4. Czechia: Vesna - My Sister's Crown
3. Käärijä - Cha Cha Cha (suffers from lack of jury points)
2. Israel: Noa Kirel - Unicorn (although I don't like it)
1. Sweden: Loreen - Tattoo (Perfect blend of jury and televotes)
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well, if we're making wild guesses. I'll be the first to give my opinion on Semi-Final #1s outcome!
Historically I have been terrible at these, so let's see how it goes this year!

Semi Final 1, in no particular order, these ten songs to get through.
#1 Norway: Alessandra - Queen of Kings
#2 Finland: Käärijä - Cha Cha Cha
#3 Switzerland: Remo Forrer - Watergun
#4 Czechia: Vesna - My Sister's Crown
#5 Sweden: Loreen - Tattoo
#6 Ireland: Wild Youth - We Are One
#7 Israel: Noa Kirel - Unicorn
#8 Serbia: Luke Black - Samo mi se spava
This is where it gets tricky, and I really struggle to with any confidence name them, but I think the next 2 are my favourites to get through just as they have a memorable bit to it all.
#9 Malta: The Busker - Dance (Our Own Party)
#10 Croatia: Let 3 - Mama ŠČ!

What also came to my attention whilst looking up precisely who is in SF1 & SF2, Ukraine & United Kingdoms running order for the final has already been decided, Ukraine as they won the previous one, and also the UK as we're the acting host for Ukraine, so we're treated the same this year around. Ukraine pulled out 19th, and the UK pulled out 26. This means the UK will be the last to take their turn on the big night, which may work in our favour a little! The other auto-finalists, Italy, France, Spain & Germany will have their running orders decided when we know the rest of the finalists, and the big draw is done.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 06 Apr 2023 09:57 Historically I have been terrible at these, so let's see how it goes this year!
And I have a solid track record, so in reality you can only win and I can only lose.
Redirect Left wrote: 06 Apr 2023 09:57 #1 Norway: Alessandra - Queen of Kings
#3 Switzerland: Remo Forrer - Watergun
#5 Sweden: Loreen - Tattoo
#6 Ireland: Wild Youth - We Are One
#7 Israel: Noa Kirel - Unicorn
#8 Serbia: Luke Black - Samo mi se spava
#9 Malta: The Busker - Dance (Our Own Party)
#10 Croatia: Let 3 - Mama ŠČ!
I'll do one more, I'll try to do them in actual order. The top 5 here is possibly the top 5 on the night, I don't see SF2 challenging for those spots. SF1 is ridiculously strong this year.
#1 Sweden: Loreen - Tattoo
#3 Israel: Noa Kirel - Unicorn
#5 Norway: Alessandra - Queen of Kings
#6 Moldova: Pasha Parfeni - Soarele si Luna
#7 Serbia: Luke Black - Samo mi se spava
#8 Netherlands: Mia Nicolai & Dion Cooper - Burning Daylight
#9 Croatia: Let 3 - Mama ŠČ! (although it could easily finish dead last)
#10 Switzerland: Remo Forrer - Watergun

So you are picking Ireland and Malta. Other than that, we seem to align. I've replaced them with Moldova and the Netherlands. Moldova I feel confident about, they are this year's Shum.

SF2 is, as I've stated, significantly weaker in my eyes and I will probably struggle with half the picks. Let's try.

#1 Austria: Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?
#2 Australia: Voyager - Promise
#3 Georgia: Iru - Echo
Heck, after these first 3 I already begin to struggle ...
#4 Armenia: Brunette - Future Lover
#5 Slovenia: Joker Out - Carpe Diem
#6 Cyprus: Andrew Lambrou - Break a Broken Heart
#7 Belgium: Gustaph - Because of You
#8 Lithuania: Monika Linkytė - Stay
#9 Albania: Albina & Familja Kelmendi - Duje
#10 Estonia: Alika - Bridges
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 09 Apr 2023 08:04 SF2 is, as I've stated, significantly weaker in my eyes and I will probably struggle with half the picks. Let's try.
For me at least, Voyager's Promise, Tey & Salena with Who the Hell is Edgar? & Gustaph's Because of You is basically what carries this semi-final, the rest are very... what can I say... it's a song at least? During my several week (I need help, please send someone) of listening, the songs in SF2 are the ones that don't hold up on more than a few listens, whereas Who the Hell is Edgar? especially got better with a few listens.

I'll go with the following 10 though, in no particular order, because I can't even start to work out orders for this one :P

#1 Australia: Voyager - Promise (I think this could have been a great contender to win the tournament, had Loreen not turned up and ruined it for everyone)
#2 Cyprus: Andrew Lambrou - Break a Broken Heart
#3 Lithuania: Monika Linkyte - Stay
#4 Slovenia: Joker Out - Carpe Diem
#5 Belgium: Gustaph - Because of You (I play this one far more often than the rest of semi-final 2 songs, so I'll be pretty sadge if they don't at least qualify for the final)
#6 Austria: Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?
#7 Greece: Victor Vernicos - What They Say
#8 Georgia: Iru - Echo
#9 Armenia: Brunette - Future Lover

I do personally like San Marino & Romania's entry, but I'm fairly confident Europe will be mostly disliking of them. Romania's Theodor Andrei -
DGT
did take a few listens to 'get' it, or maybe I'm now just having stockholm syndrome from so many listens?
I presume that most people don't sit and listen to Eurovision songs over & over, and are just a bit dismissive of things they didn't like on the first go, which if true I think really makes a lot of SF2 songs fall flat, never to recover in peoples minds.

I'm also a tiny bit sad we have nothing like Kontrakta's In Corpe Sano this year, I came to love that far more than any other song from last year, it & Malik Harris' Rockstars are the only ones I listen to from last year in significant numbers.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 27 Apr 2023 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 25 Apr 2023 06:59For me at least, Voyager's Promise, Tey & Salena with Who the Hell is Edgar? & Gustaph's Because of You is basically what carries this semi-final
Redirect Left wrote: 25 Apr 2023 06:59#1 Australia: Voyager - Promise (I think this could have been a great contender to win the tournament, had Loreen not turned up and ruined it for everyone)
#5 Belgium: Gustaph - Because of You (I play this one far more often than the rest of semi-final 2 songs, so I'll be pretty sadge if they don't at least qualify for the final)
#6 Denmark: Reiley - Breaking My Heart
You might want to fit Austria into your top 10 then :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 27 Apr 2023 08:36
Redirect Left wrote: 25 Apr 2023 06:59For me at least, Voyager's Promise, Tey & Salena with Who the Hell is Edgar? & Gustaph's Because of You is basically what carries this semi-final
Redirect Left wrote: 25 Apr 2023 06:59#1 Australia: Voyager - Promise (I think this could have been a great contender to win the tournament, had Loreen not turned up and ruined it for everyone)
#6 Denmark: Reiley - Breaking My Heart
You might want to fit Austria into your top 10 then :mrgreen:
Oh no! Aaaaa. Dang I screwed up, which is on par for these threads for me :P
I will -Denmark & +Austria, that seems the safest option for me, I do like Denmark but its a bit on the meh side i think globally

Return to “Off-Topic”