Little or minor town(city) growth

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Little or minor town(city) growth

Post by GrandSeverus »

So I recently started a playthrough in the tropical climate. Took me a while to set newgrf i wanted to use.
So when i finally started playing i noticed little or no growth of cities/towns.
Most of the grf i included in the game are the ones which adds vechicles into the game.
There are 2 that may caused it is either town total replacement set and ITL houses.
I do not know if any grf effects towns.
Thanks for the help

P.S.
By the i have deactivated in the town setting the ability for towns to build roads. I am building roads myself around cities and i have a lot of empty spaces.
In 20 ingame years population of a city didn't grow more then 2k.
kamnet

Re: Little or minor town(city) growth

Post by kamnet »

ITL Houses change the ways that cities grow, so the default method of just laying out roads and expecting towns to grow on them isn't productive. See: viewtopic.php?t=87011

EDIT: Actually it sounds like your problem is similar to one that was reported in ITL Houses 1.4.0 beta 3, and fixed in beta 4. Make sure you've downloaded the latest version. viewtopic.php?p=1246970#p1246970

Also, in sub-tropical, towns will need food and water to grow by default, unless you're using either a NewGRF industry set or a Game Script which has changed the requirements for towns to grow. See: https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Clim ... b-tropical
GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GrandSeverus »

It seems another grf was causing the problem.
I searched all newgrf options and it option for rattroads there is an option to allow or not allow to build house next to highways.
I turned it on, I hope it will solve the problem.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It's enough to build the highway further away from the city, personally I don't play with this style, because I don't like when cities wind only along the roads, it seems unnatural to me.
GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GrandSeverus »

I build highways because i have buses that speed is higher then 140 km/h.
Also from what i have heard city expanding script can sometimes stop working aka cities stop expanding anymore.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Well, I understand that, but in reality, buses and cars don't drive around our houses at a hundred kilometers of speed either. I like more realism in this, i.e. the bus goes slowly through the city, but outside the city it can speed up. :)
By the way, some cities can disappear (the population will decrease to zero) and it doesn't have to be a script, it happens even in the basic version of the game.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GrandSeverus wrote: 28 Jan 2023 12:07 It seems another grf was causing the problem.
I searched all newgrf options and it option for rattroads there is an option to allow or not allow to build house next to highways.
I turned it on, I hope it will solve the problem.
AH! Yes, there are a couple of the NewGRF road sets that disable the building of houses next to roads designated as highways, I hadn't thought of that. So you could disable that feature in those sets, or probably choose another road that was meant to be built in towns.

Return to “General OpenTTD”