Sub-tropical cost of living crisis?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Shifty_Girl
Engineer
Engineer

Sub-tropical cost of living crisis?

Post by Shifty_Girl »

Hi all,

Sorry for being dumb, but am I missing something with the sub-tropical maps, can you fill me in please. The vehicle purchase and running costs are astronomical, compared to the temperate maps that I've played so far (where I can waste money without a care). I haven't changed any of the Economy settings (inflation 2%, smooth economy, low running costs). Though I notice that the loan max is different between them, without my input. Much higher limit in sub-tropical, which makes sense. Is this a thing, or have I somehow killed the game already? ?(

Disclaimer: I'm new to openTTD, I'm surprised I even got it going. Played TT and a little bit of TTD as a kid, the whole family loved playing it. I don't understand anything beyond pointing and clicking :oops:
kamnet

Re: Sub-tropical cost of living crisis?

Post by kamnet »

Can you start a new game which shows this behavior and then upload a copy of the save file for someone to look at?
Shifty_Girl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shifty_Girl »

kamnet wrote: 17 Jan 2023 16:05 Can you start a new game which shows this behavior and then upload a copy of the save file for someone to look at?
Hi, thanks for your response! Yes, please see attached. I started a new game and got carried away lol...only one saved copy! :oops: started in 1988.

(Also please don't judge my ugly game, I know I'm basic AF, I just play for fun)
Attachments
Tocopilla Transport, 25th Jan 1996.sav
(290.09 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

As you have inflation turned on, and with a start date of 1988... IF I'm not mistaken, prices have been pre-inflated (kamnet can correct or confirm).

You might also want to pay back some of your loan - it'll save you 15K GBP (or your currency's equivalent) each year once you get fully paid off.
Shifty_Girl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shifty_Girl »

skc wrote: 18 Jan 2023 03:38 As you have inflation turned on, and with a start date of 1988... IF I'm not mistaken, prices have been pre-inflated (kamnet can correct or confirm).
All of my games start at 1988 (reasons, lol) and the Accounting settings are the same for each one, at least that's what the options say. But what you've said makes a lot of sense! I just wonder why it has started now, and I haven't messed with any settings yet, except for turning down the frequency of plane crashes. Next one is going to be canning those random level crossings, my goodness that is annoying.

But it sounds like this isn't a 'thing' for sub-tropical maps, it's something that I've done somehow, so pretty much answered my question. Thank you :)

OH and loan is done and dusted, finally making money :D
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

You can read about OpenTTD inflation here:
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Economy

Though I'm unfamiliar with it behaving differently on different maps. Rather, difficulty would be what changes it. Personally, I always play with inflation off. Sums get ridiculous.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “General OpenTTD”