OpenTTD 13.0-RC1 loading save game error

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sbeketov
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD 13.0-RC1 loading save game error

Post by sbeketov »

Hi,

After installing the latest OpenTTD 13.0-RC1 over the latest stable version (12.2), I receive the following error when trying to open a saved game:

Crash report is also attached.

I assume, from the error text itself, that the issue is with the NewGRF module, but have no idea how to fix it. Would appreciate any ideas/leads where to start looking at or, even better, how to fix this.

Many thanks in advance.
crash20230113204953.txt
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD 13.0-RC1 loading save game error

Post by peter1138 »

You have changed NewGRFs mid-game, this has caused some vehicles to be broken.

The reason it previously "worked" is because our release builds don't have all the checks that betas/RCs have.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
sbeketov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sbeketov »

peter1138 wrote: 13 Jan 2023 22:00 You have changed NewGRFs mid-game, this has caused some vehicles to be broken.

The reason it previously "worked" is because our release builds don't have all the checks that betas/RCs have.
Thanks. You're right, I have changed NewGRFs mid-game with certain additions.
So what would be the solution in case I would like to continue playing in version 13.0-RC1? Disable NewGRF modules? Or unmark any specific "checks" in this RC? Thank you.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Changing newgrf mid-game is always problematic. The only workaround is if you have the original version saved, play it in that one because if you don't load the game you can't even try to revert the changes. Otherwise, the game is probably lost. Anyway, you've been warned, haven't you.
sbeketov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sbeketov »

Argus wrote: 14 Jan 2023 21:49 Changing newgrf mid-game is always problematic. The only workaround is if you have the original version saved, play it in that one because if you don't load the game you can't even try to revert the changes. Otherwise, the game is probably lost. Anyway, you've been warned, haven't you.
I can always downgrade to stable version 12.2 in which my current game was started and NewGRF used, and that works, already tried it.
It's just a bummer that I cannot use a more recent version 13.0xx to continue playing my current saved game. I have been warned of course, so no hard feelings :)
Thanks for your responses!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

sbeketov wrote: 14 Jan 2023 13:09
peter1138 wrote: 13 Jan 2023 22:00 You have changed NewGRFs mid-game, this has caused some vehicles to be broken.

Thanks. You're right, I have changed NewGRFs mid-game with certain additions.
So what would be the solution in case I would like to continue playing in version 13.0-RC1? Disable NewGRF modules? Or unmark any specific "checks" in this RC? Thank you.
Stop messing with NewGRF settings. you can try selling all problematic vehicles and buying them back (the error suggests the problem is a mixup of planes or helicopters), but there is no guarantee that this will fix anything
sbeketov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sbeketov »

Eddi wrote: 15 Jan 2023 12:03 Stop messing with NewGRF settings. you can try selling all problematic vehicles and buying them back (the error suggests the problem is a mixup of planes or helicopters), but there is no guarantee that this will fix anything
Thanks a lot for your response! In fact, after you mentioned that it is likely a mixup of planes and helicopters, I went to the list of all vehicles and identified one problematic helicopter (that had "unspecified" in its settings name). Once I sold it, the saved game with the current NewGRF sets and options perfectly started up in the new 13.0-RC1 version! Thanks again!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Unfortunately, sometimes certain changes are necessary, for example when the scenarios author uses a train set that does not cooperate with the new industry he put there. For example, DB set and XIS, or the old UKRS. Of course, this means making a problem, but sometimes there is no other way.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that is true, but switching vehicle sets is generally less troublesome if there aren't any existing vehicles on the map
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, if the vehicles are not already on the map, no problem. It's worse with industry, that's why I don't like pre-positioned industry. Vanilla is so boring though... :oops: :)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”