Load Order and You. Does Load Order matter in Openttd?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Load Order and You. Does Load Order matter in Openttd?

Post by GrandSeverus »

So as an experienced mod user. Modding since 2004, I know load order matters in games.
I noticed a lot of threads hinting that load order is not important because of how newgrf function.
Is that the case or do I need to sort newgrf properly? Oblivion and Skyrim require sorting software.
Thanks for the help,
Cheers,
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Load Order and You. Does Load Order matter in Openttd?

Post by ebla71 »

GrandSeverus wrote: 04 Jan 2023 13:14 So as an experienced mod user. Modding since 2004, I know load order matters in games.
I noticed a lot of threads hinting that load order is not important because of how newgrf function.
Is that the case or do I need to sort newgrf properly? Oblivion and Skyrim require sorting software.
It depends :lol:

In many cases NewGRF load order does not matter and you can just arrange them in any way you like (for example, I group them by type, like rails and roads, road vehicles, trains, ships, airplanes), in some other cases load order is important, and there are even cases where loading one NewGRF excludes using another one. However, I usually load industry NewGRFs first, since they determine a lot of things that are also relevant to vehicles, for example.

However, when something is not working, trying to "isolate" the NewGRF (or combination thereof) causing trouble by removing them one by one is always a good idea.
kamnet

Re: Load Order and You. Does Load Order matter in Openttd?

Post by kamnet »

There are some cases where load order matters, that mostly comes into play when one NewGRF set modifies another NewGRF set. For example, JP+ Shinkansen replaces the Shinkansen trains in Japan Set 3 Trains, so JP3 Trains must be loaded first.

Load order can also matter when loading multiple house/building sets, railtype or roadtype sets. There's a variety of factors that may or may not allow all elements to load, and whether or not that's acceptable is entirely up to the player. Of course, the easiest way to avoid such conflicts is to only load one type of NewGRF in a game. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”