Basic signaling question

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

André
Engineer
Engineer

Basic signaling question

Post by André »

Hi, first question: is this the correct subforum or would "General OpenTTD" be more suitable?

Anyway, apparently I'm still having a misunderstanding when it comes to train signals, despite watching a tutorial.
In the screenshot the two trains block each other although there is a free path.
A third train from south-west just passes through, heading to the east.
Would maybe someone be so kind and tell me which signal to use for which position?
I gave each position a number in the screenshot.
Afterwards I can try to understand it better and use it for another similar issue I have.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: missed one position at the western train, let's call it 0 :-)
Attachments
Screenshot_20230102_191253_OpenTTD.jpg
Screenshot_20230102_191253_OpenTTD.jpg (61.63 KiB) Viewed 673 times
kamnet

Re: Basic signaling question

Post by kamnet »

Assuming signal 2 is just like 3/4/5, it can't pass because it has the no entry "/" sign on it. Change them all from No Entry Path Signal to One Way Path Signal.
André
Engineer
Engineer

Post by André »

Thanks for your reply, though I'm afraid I'm still stuck.
Tried changing them to One Way Path Signals although I want all tracks to be used in both directions but still I seem to be getting something wrong.

I created an even more basic concept.
I'd like both ways to be used in both directions if possible.
What I don't understand is why the trains, e.g. when coming from the left side, pass the Entry Signal 1 but stop before the Exit Signal at 2 (or 3).

1 and 5 = Entry Signal
2, 3 and 4 = Exit Signals

Edit: apparently changing them so all signals face in both directions did the trick.
Didn't expect a train stopping at a red light that's in the other direction thus requiring a green light on their side though.

However, now I'm at step 2: trains stopping in a block (fork) which is where Combo Signals appear to come in...
But here again I need to build them in both directions otherwise the trains won't pass them, but if I do so it's again the same result and the trains enter the block/fork area and stop there when another train comes from the opposite direction.
kamnet wrote: 03 Jan 2023 00:40it can't pass because it has the no entry "/" sign on it.
Does that also count for the Path Signal?
Wondering because its description says "Standard Path Signals can be passed from the back side".

Once again thanks for the help.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230103_101625_OpenTTD.jpg
(331.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by André on 03 Jan 2023 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you're running trains this short, you should consider increasing

Code: Select all

yapf.rail_pbs_cross_penalty
the default value of 300 may not be enough to get trains consider detours around occupied tracks

try increasing this value in steps of 100 until the train at signal 0 starts moving.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”