[OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 23 Mar 2023 17:48 I'll wait a while for the attempts of others, I don't know this Alcatraz or the Czech equivalent of Pankrác :)
There are indeed a lot of similarities with Pankrác, in particular sad ones that do not really belong here :roll:

But this place also has a lot of connections to popular culture and another famous area around Hamburg.

Now - more suggestions anybody?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I already found it in the scenario, but I didn't google all the pop culture references. I don't know this place personally, maybe there were allusions to it somewhere and I don't realize it :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 23 Mar 2023 21:43 I already found it in the scenario, but I didn't google all the pop culture references. I don't know this place personally, maybe there were allusions to it somewhere and I don't realize it :)
This one here is definitely worth reading if you are into the somewhat morbid and it also contains the answer to my question:
[+] Spoiler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Pinzner
Azetta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Azetta »

ebla71 wrote: 21 Mar 2023 20:44
Azetta wrote: 21 Mar 2023 19:53 Looks very impressive and exactly like the game I'd like to play! Unfortunately can't test this one yet as my OTTD build is older than the version you used... but will be following this for your next updates!
Which OTTD version do you use and does it give you any kind of error message that would be helpful for diagnosis? Can you maybe post a screenshot here?

Maybe it is not even the scenario itself but some of the NewGRFs included? Can you go as far loading it to remove them one by one?
Sorry for the late response.. I'm playing with the JGR patch, v. 0.47.1 (April 2022), not sure which OTTD version this was based on. Loading the scenario is not even possible so the issue is not with the GRFs. Guess I will need to play with the newer JGR version!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

This is a really old version. It's been almost a year and in the meantime, a lot of new features have been added even in the vanilla version of openttd.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 27 Mar 2023 13:07 This is a really old version. It's been almost a year and in the meantime, a lot of new features have been added even in the vanilla version of openttd.
The scenario was constructed with the most current "standard" OTTD version available from the website, which is v13.0

However, I realized that even loading with OTTD 12 does not seem to be possible, even after removing all NewGRF.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

ebla71 wrote: 23 Mar 2023 00:01
Who can guess which (in)famous place is shown in the bottom picture? If you know, please give the nickname first or provide other hints to allow others to continue guessing. :D

Still need to provide the solution for the puzzle: What is shown here is the oldest jail in Hamburg, the JVA Fuhlsbüttel which is known by the local nickname "Santa Fu", a pun on Santa Fe, the oldest capital city of a US state, that of New Mexico, funded in 1610 - ten years before the arrival of the first English colonists to North America - as the administrative center for Santa Fe de Nuevo México, part of the Spanish Empire, which also inculded parts of western Texas, southern Colorado, southwest Kansas and part of Oklahoma.

It's been quite infamous (Santa Fu, not Santa Fe) since part of the people jailed there are/were mobsters from the nearby St. Pauli redlight district - which will also be constructed later 8)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justizvol ... %C3%BCttel
Last edited by ebla71 on 27 Mar 2023 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

ebla71 wrote: 27 Mar 2023 17:48
Argus wrote: 27 Mar 2023 13:07 This is a really old version. It's been almost a year and in the meantime, a lot of new features have been added even in the vanilla version of openttd.
The scenario was constructed with the most current "standard" OTTD version available from the website, which is v13.0

However, I realized that even loading with OTTD 12 does not seem to be possible, even after removing all NewGRF.
This is logical, however, because version 13 came with features that version 12 simply does not support. Just one look at the changelog... :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

If there are Dutch stations additions, why isn't the main file there too?
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 27 Mar 2023 19:38 This is logical, however, because version 13 came with features that version 12 simply does not support. Just one look at the changelog... :)
Well, I thought that without any special features from NewGRF the scenario would be so "basic" it would also load with an older version.

But apparently that is not the case and some aspects of the newer version get "encoded" in the scenario file that prevent it from loading.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 27 Mar 2023 20:40 If there are Dutch stations additions, why isn't the main file there too?
Because the "Dutch station set" only contains the platforms on both sides of the track plus a few station buildings that I don't really like, while by far the larger number of station "building blocks" are in the three different "Dutch Station Addition Set"s :D

And although it might sound a bit counterintuitive, but the "Addition Set" also works without the "main set"

You can still add the latter either in the scenario editor or even during a already running game, never crashed OTTD for me.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

That's cool, I was just a little surprised to see only extras on the menu :) I'm not yet an experienced station builder, so without the basic platforms my stations look like a mad architect's dream. :lol: The preview is small and it is not immediately possible to determine how it will follow on from one another :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

ebla71 wrote: 27 Mar 2023 22:35
Argus wrote: 27 Mar 2023 19:38 This is logical, however, because version 13 came with features that version 12 simply does not support. Just one look at the changelog... :)
Well, I thought that without any special features from NewGRF the scenario would be so "basic" it would also load with an older version.

But apparently that is not the case and some aspects of the newer version get "encoded" in the scenario file that prevent it from loading.
A scenario is technically a saved game, and many settings are saved with the game. What is the poor old version supposed to do with a setting it doesn't already have? :)
By the way, I ran the game and reset the industry, whatever appears, the inappropriate one will be demolished. I won't do that when it's placed in the game. At least then each one will be a little different.
The trains are still missing, I put V4, but a 2cc trains set can also be suitable - at least because of the goods. It's a terrible shame that the DB set lacks support for the new industry sets. I remind you that with V4 it is necessary to turn off the own rails.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Humble new beginnings :)
I usually decorate train stations later :)
Attachments
Green & Co., 19. led 1857.png
(1.39 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Green & Co., 26. bře 1857.png
(422.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 28 Mar 2023 10:00 Humble new beginnings :)
I usually decorate train stations later :)
Thank you very much for your continued interest in this scenario.

Not sure how realistic you want to build your rail network - but for closely following "real world" I suggest to look at OpenRailwayMap or OpenStreetMap. In particular the first one allows you to show different track information, including electrification, semaphores, maximum speed, and so on:

If you plan to do so, the "lowered terrain" is actually the railway right-of-way, with the mainlines in red, the mostly underground suburban S-Bahn in blue, and the two Harburg station locations in yellow. In particular the underground line is a special challenge - and even more so if you want a "connected station" with the mainline platforms.

An example how this might be solved here:

harburg.jpg
(273.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hamburg_scenario_v0.61_p5.png
(1.33 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Hamburg_scenario_v0.61_p4.png
(581.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Thanks, I'll maybe use the map as a guide, but I rarely go for full realism :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Minor update to the Hamburg scenario - still busy with the "decoration" so no new pictures but about 75% done now, just upper right corner of the map (northeastern part) missing, likely will take another few weekends, I guess. Then, finally, industry placement :D Mostly post here to have a backup in case of computer issues.
hamburg_v0.62.scn
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So now I don't know how to start playing. I don't want to trigger the industry placement anymore so I don't spoil the scenery :D
So playing as a cheater? Why not. But I still have to change the parameter in XIS, otherwise I won't even be able to subsidize. I don't know why it's on, just setting it in the game is enough.
Well, BaseCost Mode will be better than the cheat
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So, I set city growth to extremely slow and cities are allowed to build roads. I don't like it when cities stretch like noodles, and I usually don't want to build roads for them myself. Or I'm forgetting it. And I also don't like it when cities don't develop.
I can now stop a certain city manually if I want to. Well, at least in JGR.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I ran into a problem.
It was probably caused by the fact that we do not have exactly the same versions of the objects. Some objects may have been moved and changed, although the version still reports as compatible.
From now on it is everywhere on both coasts
I am also sending the current game for comparison.
It's not my changes, the error appears even if I load the game without changes.
If you don't have the JGR patchpack, you won't run it. I have the latest version.
Attachments
International Transport Company, 23. čer 1858.png
(262.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hamburg062.sav
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 45 times

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”