[OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048

Post by Argus »

The first steam bus leaves depot.
Oh yeah, I know, but it's not my fault that early German cars don't exist :lol: Honestly, even Polroad are more or less emergency if I'm not mistaken. :wink:
However, I also put the German road vehicles set in there. :)
However, we are neighbors, so surely some of the cars were used at your place as well.
Attachments
Green & Co., 8. čer 1908.png
(1.55 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Argus on 29 Apr 2023 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 29 Apr 2023 21:46 The first steam bus leaves depot.
Oh yeah, I know, but it's not my fault that early German cars don't exist :lol: Honestly, even Polroad are more or less emergency if I'm not mistaken. :wink:
That looks nice :D Did you change anything to the house set or is this the scenario settings but at high screen resolution?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I use zbase as my base graphics, not opengfx. Since there are ITL houses, he hasn't gotten a chance for the Total town replacement set yet, there are only banks from him.
There are only basic houses, The only houses in high resolution I have are UK town set extrazoom, CZTR and temporal real houses.
Well, and due to the relatively different architecture, CZTR houses would certainly not fit there, and English houses would not.
I'm done for today, good night :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

A zeppelin bound for Hamburg goes in for a landing.
Yes, I am aware that the airport is wrong. Not even the first metro route and trains actually run. Unfortunately, if the stations apart from metro stations were to be located realistically,
the train would have almost nothing to carry yet.
Sometimes realism has to give way to playability. And I'm going to check the coal ship to see if I can add another one.
Attachments
Green & Co., 29. říj 1920.png
(312.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Didn't you write by chance that there are no oil wells in the region?
Error, another missing object
Attachments
Green & Co., 17. pro 1925.png
(299.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Green & Co., 13. dub 1926.png
(449.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

1st problem.
The time era is set as the default in URatt.
But this causes when the player allows cities to build roads, they start building what cities don't actually have, asphalt roads with a limit off 72 km :?
A more appropriate setting is a sequence where cities build roads with a fifty-kilometer city limit. While the appearance is given by the roads of the given time era.
The reconfiguration didn't affect the other roads, I'll see how it goes.
Funny, when I was fixing it, I put the water navigation buoys to opposite sides :o :shock: I'll leave it at that, they are so small it hurt my eyes. :oops:
Attachments
Green & Co., 17. pro 1930.png
(1.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The cities have built Polish asphalt roads for a change, but 60 km is already better.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 30 Apr 2023 12:00 Didn't you write by chance that there are no oil wells in the region?
Yes, but then, while looking at OpenStreepMap on how to precisely place the nearby quarry and industries, I discovered that there is in fact an oil field at exactly that location, near the town of Sinstorf. It's actually in operation since the 1960s but the production is very low, only a couple of thousand tons of crude oil per year, so it does not even have a railway connection. Still, I liked the idea to include it as an industry.

By far the main source of oil however is coal from bulk termial to oil extractor
Argus wrote: 30 Apr 2023 12:00 Error, another missing object
No - here you ran across some of the little "goodies" that I have placed on the map :D

It's actually exactly that object deliverately placed there to indicate a so-called megalith, which are assumed to be part of a neolithic (later stone age) ceremonial or burial place. These are quite abundant across northern Germany and there are a couple of more of them to discover on the map :D
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 30 Apr 2023 13:02 1st problem.
The time era is set as the default in URatt.
But this causes when the player allows cities to build roads, they start building what cities don't actually have, asphalt roads with a limit off 72 km :?
A more appropriate setting is a sequence where cities build roads with a fifty-kilometer city limit. While the appearance is given by the roads of the given time era.
The reconfiguration didn't affect the other roads, I'll see how it goes.
Funny, when I was fixing it, I put the water navigation buoys to opposite sides :o :shock: I'll leave it at that, they are so small it hurt my eyes. :oops:
Thank you very much for pointing this out - however, I am still busy re-adjusting the roads than got messed up by the URatt vs. Polroad problem and will not get a chance to look at this for a while.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Just very quickly, here is v0.94 in which I hopefully have properly re-drawn all streets.

Inside cities, it is paved stone road at 50 km/h
Outside cities, major roads are gravel road at 43 km/h
Outside cities, smaller roads are dirt road at 28 km/h or below

The advantage of the gravel road in connecting cities is that it prevents city growth along the roads. This feature only becomes available again later with the highway and expressway, so the gravel road an obvious choice for a game starting at 1900.

If you come across some of the "old" roads highlighted in red please post a picture here with a landmark - I tried my best to replace them all but of course might have missed some.

Attachments
screenshot#12.png
(872.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hamburg_v0.94.scn
(2.36 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Great. I'll let you know if I notice it, but probably not today because there won't be much time.
I wanted to start over anyway, I didn't limit Hamburg's growth in time and it grew uncontrollably into a metropolis with 60,000 inhabitants, which was still red because I didn't have time to provide public transport :lol:
On the other hand, even this great one was not connected with Harburg. :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post by ebla71 »

Still collecting small changes before posting current scenario version v0.96 but mostly spend the weekend finally playing it :D

Therefore, I decided to split the thread - this one here will be used for further updates of the scenario itself while I will open a new one to post some screenshots
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The roads should be fine, I couldn't find anything :)
Meanwhile I got stuck in another game, so I will continue with the game scenario later. :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I restarted the game with an older version of the scenario - and found that nothing wants to drive on the roads of Urattu.
It's becoming increasingly clear to me that using two sets of paths at once is a path to hell. I finally fixed it with a different Uratt setup. But why didn't it show up right away?
Perhaps also the effect of recent changes in NRT.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 26 May 2023 10:32 I restarted the game with an older version of the scenario - and found that nothing wants to drive on the roads of Urattu.
It's becoming increasingly clear to me that using two sets of paths at once is a path to hell. I finally fixed it with a different Uratt setup. But why didn't it show up right away?
Perhaps also the effect of recent changes in NRT.
Thank you very much for reporting these problems. It seems like recent updates to some of the NewGRFs messed up the compatibility, so I had to "re-pave" the whole road network again. Just forgot in which version of the scenario this occured last.

Anyway, in the attachment is the latest version v0.96 which uses U&RaTT 0.8 together with Polroad 55 which has "enable custom road types" switched off. Only road vehicles here are those from Polroad and these settings work fine with me using "normal" OTTD 13.0

If I understand correctly, you only have problems with the roads - railways are working fine?!?

And is it really a problem with not driving at all or vehicle not able to reach a certain station? This occurs with vehicles that can carry both passengers and other cargo. If the default/initial cargo is set to a type not served by a station you get an error message like "Station not reachable" although this is not a problem of missing road pathway but rather vehicle not set to a cargo accepted/produced by a station, like cart set to passenger cargo when you want to send it to a freight/goods station (or the other way round).

This is solved by "set cargo" or whatever the option is in the vehicle schedule list to match the type of station you want to go to. Or do your vehicles not leave the depot at all?!?

Now playing the scenario with only very minor adjustments for about 3-4 weeks and everything is fine, except for some additional graphics issues when one of the Auz NewGRFs got updated and broke the IDs.

Have now finalized most of the rail network on the south side of the Elbe river inculding the harbour and already working on the north side for the suburbs directly adjacent to the river. Major next project: lay track for the central station Hamburg Hbf. The next largest stations Altona and Harburg are already done :lol: Will post some more screenshots in the other thread over the weekend.
Attachments
hamburg_v0.96.scn
(2.36 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It was an error of the type that the vehicle did not even appear in the garage's offer. There were no problems with the railway.
Version 0.94, where URatt 0.8 first appeared, was also no problem after shutting down Polroad. There typically only early Polish cars didn't want to drive on URatt roads, but when I uploaded the old version 0.4 I got a much worse error where nothing wanted to drive on them at all.
What other manifestations it had, I did not try, and intervened in the settings.
In the new version, I'm missing AuzFarmObjects again, damn it.
I downloaded another one, but it's only compatible, not the same. By the way, constantly updating the graphics in the scenario is technically the same as changing the graphics.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

New farm objects added a tractor. So I sent him to the fields.
Cities have zero growth by default. I don't like static cities and always turn this setting off. But some cities are so big that they start growing at an almost astronomical rate very soon.
This will require that roads be allowed to be built, otherwise they will spread ugly along the roads like noodles unless the player reacts and builds roads.
Apparently due to recent changes in NRT, if time era is set to Default in URatt, cities will start building very fast roads later. I have already written about this problem here.
I'll see if it still lasts, but I guess I'll have to reset it to sequence.
I noticed that instead of the Total town replacement set, there are now Swedish houses in the scenario. Are they a better fit for Hamburg or are there other issues with that set?
Attachments
Green & Co., 14. lis 1900.png
(411.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Hamburg is growing itself for a reason. :shock:
Attachments
Green & Co., 11. úno 1911.png
(362.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The contemporary report apparently captured the first "international train" from the territory of the new neighbor, for now it is only a hastily repainted older Austrian locomotive.
In fact, the station he entered is a dead-end track from the south :wink:
The tire repair shop is also visible here, I accidentally added fridaemon's houses instead of objects and didn't want to mess it up by changing the graphics further. :oops: :lol:
Attachments
Green & Co., 25. led 1923.png
(400.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So this small town originally had a little over 2,000 inhabitants. Now he is truly a giant. And with its own bus station.
Attachments
Green & Co., 13. srp 1931.png
(811.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”