[OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048

Post by Argus »

So I finally gave up and started generating random industry with the idea of deleting it later. I would have to set up a location for free and I don't want that. :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 20 Apr 2023 16:35 I guess I didn't notice this missing object last time.
This is supposed to be the "Patos Island Ferry" from the "Auz Airport and Boating Objects" NewGRF.

Strangely, in my setup, it still shows up correctly?!?

Attachments
screenshot#7.png
(215.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Here, without much further ado, the latest version of the scenario v0.71

Tried to fix all the street types that got messed up (thanks to Argus for looking at this with argus eyes :wink:) and worked a little bit further on the "decoration" but pretty much complete now - or at least I definitely want to play this scenario now after working on it since mid-December 2022 :D

Will possibly start to manually place industries next week, so last chance to suggest modifications before it will be "locked" to XIS
Attachments
hamburg_v0.71.scn
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Couldn't resist, so started to place industries :D

There should already be some working chains, for example fishing grounds on the Elbe river to fishing harbour to hotels in Hamburg city center.

Also some agricultural industries to abattoir and to famous Astra brewery of St. Pauli :lol: as well as the abundant fruit plantations in the "Altes Land" to food processing plant.

Some others do not have either the supplying or receiving end yet, like dregging sites and quarries but these will follow later.

So far almost exclusively focused on the southern side of the Elbe river.

Changed the starting year to 1900 to make sure there are vehicles available. With Polroad please note that these are often set to passenger as default, so you might get an error message that "station in not reachable", in which case you first need to change the freight while in depot to something non-passenger, then you can also add goods stations to the schedule.

Industry set is XIS and all industries are "locked", meaning that they will neither close but also no new ones appear. Furthermore, the industry placement is guided by real-world locations, not attempt was made than connections are indeed economically viable.

Just allow yourself unlimited credit with the "special menue" 8) and also regularly "rewind time" since distances are pretty long.

The scenario is mostly aimed at building a real-world network, not beating an economic model or racing against time. You can do that if you like, but you'll need to adjust the game yourself and also please don't ask me for such modifications, as I am simply not interested in that.

Attachments
hamburg_v0.90.scn
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
screenshot#8.png
(164.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Placed a lot of industries to the Hamburg scenario during the weekend, which is now in version v0.91

As you can see, there are mostly agricultural industries in the periphery and heavy industries in the harbour area, which calls for use of ships :D

Many industry chains have evolved now, for example the copper- and zinc-based industries. Note that since there are no mines in the area, everything is either fed by port industries or recycling material such as scrap metal.

Next will be the iron- and aluminium-based chains and finally the chemical ones, which are a bit complex, so needs a lot of checking that all chains can run through completely.

Not sure if I need to mention again, but industry set in XIS with no open/no close/no fund - just play with what's there and I'm sure it will still keep you busy for ages 8)

Attachments
screenshot#9.png
(171.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hamburg_v0.91.scn
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The availability of vehicles was already there before, I had no problem with it, I liked the early start more. :(
But okay, I understand, let's go out a little to accommodate those who don't like such early times :)
Navíc, některý průmysl, který jsi tam dal, je pravděpodobně opravdu až z okolí roku 1900 :)
But could you please release a version where you keep the earlier start? If not, I'll edit it in the editor, no problem :)
By the way, we no longer have the same version of Sport objects, or Water objects and some fences... Really hell with that Auzind :D
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 08:51 The availability of vehicles was already there before, I had no problem with it, I liked the early start more. :(
Had to move the starting date from about 1850 to 1900 since the ships from "Unsinkable Sam preview-28" only become available at that later date and they are more or less essential to move around large amounts of bulk goods in the harbour area.

For example, the only source of iron ore and coal is the bulk terminal at Sandauhafen and you need to supply it to other industries like the oil extractor at Neuhöfer Hafen to obtain oil, since there are no oil fields or oil rigs in the region.

Actually, with regard to coal, this is not completely true, as there is a little and surprising exception, but I leave that to the players to discover and explain :D If you find it, please post a screenshot of that region here with a "cryptic answer" for others to continue guessing :D

You can also use the river ships from "redFish 0.4" where most of them become available in 1870 but you'll definitely miss something then, at "Unsinkable Sam" ships are really beautiful and deserve a lot more attention.

On the road vehicle side, much less restrictions, most horse-drawn ones are available from the early 1800s and the latest high-capacity introduction is the "HCP steam tractor" in 1860.

Narrow-gauge trains, as for example used in sand pits, also from 1860, and GETS trains from 1880 to 1890, so overall a starting date of 1900 seems to be a good compromise to me.
Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 08:51 But could you please release a version where you keep the earlier start? If not, I'll edit it in the editor, no problem :)
If you want to "rewind the time" to an earlier starting date, this can easily be done in game using the STRG-ALT-C "special menue" with option "Change date" where I never had any interferences or crash, or in the scenario editor before starting a new game.

Therefore, I really don't want to confuse people further with additional versions, as already now there are three planned, the "basic terrain", the "decorated but no industries one", and the "complete one".
Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 08:51 By the way, we no longer have the same version of Sport objects, or Water objects and some fences... Really hell with that Auzind :D
Definitely "version hell" :twisted:

The main problem is that neither version number nor filename see to have changed but still some NewGRFs from the Auz series are different and you can only tell from a fingerprint list.

I downloaded those available from the in-game content service first, then updated and then put some newer versions from the development thread on top of that but still it does not seem to fix all issues :o

Could you post a picture of what's not displaying properly or missing?
Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 08:51 Navíc, některý průmysl, který jsi tam dal, je pravděpodobně opravdu až z okolí roku 1900 :)
Sorry, but the only word of Czech(?) that I speak and that already covers possibly 20-30% of my basic needs is "pivo" :lol:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Sorry, I'm translating via Google and I accidentally put the original here.
Also, some of the industry you put there is probably really only from around 1900 :) :D :lol:
Ah, ships, I forgot they are somewhat limited in Redfish, I'm using Shark now, this new set already has quite large capacity ships at the start :)
By the way, I found out via Google maps that there are also two breweries in Harburg. I think there will be one in Hamburg as well.
If it bothers me a lot, I'll change the time, no problem :) I just thought the change was unnecessary because I didn't realize the problem with the ships since I haven't used the Redfish in a long time.
As far as the objects are concerned, the only thing missing so far is what I already reported. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to take a good look around yet, but most bugs are discovered during the game anyway, so hopefully I'll find something out during the week.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 16:56 Sorry, I'm translating via Google and I accidentally put the original here.
No worries - already assumed something like this.
Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 16:56 Also, some of the industry you put there is probably really only from around 1900 :) :D :lol:
Actually, some of the industries only appear in game around 1930s or 1940s, like the "oil extractor".

However, you can still place them in the scenario editor by hand and then they "persist" when you start a game in the sense that they remain and produce even before their "official" introduction date - tried that with the oil extractor.

Also, GETS seems to offer all cargos from the very beginning, did not experience any problems from the vehicle side, either. The limit is really when the first loco appears.
Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 16:56 Ah, ships, I forgot they are somewhat limited in Redfish, I'm using Shark now, this new set already has quite large capacity ships at the start :)
The problem with the 1900 starting date is actually not with Redfish but with Unsinkable Sam, which offers ships only from 1900.
Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 16:56 By the way, I found out via Google maps that there are also two breweries in Harburg. I think there will be one in Hamburg as well.
If you look at the new scenario, there is the Astra brewery near St. Pauli, which is a favorite of mine :D
Argus wrote: 26 Apr 2023 16:56 As far as the objects are concerned, the only thing missing so far is what I already reported. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to take a good look around yet, but most bugs are discovered during the game anyway, so hopefully I'll find something out during the week.
Still have no clue where the different versions came from and how to easily tell them apart. Maybe need to provide a "bundle" with scenario file and NewGRFs in a ZIPped archive?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, for newbies it will probably be better to pack newgrf in the zip.
I didn't notice that Unsinkable itself starts this late because I'm just using it as an add-on set due to the still missing passenger ships. However, by then players should at least have Redfish.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Almost completed placement of industries to the Hamburg scenario now and happy to present to you the latest version v0.92

In total, there are now more than 240 industries placed at real-world locations and with all industry chains now complete, as far as I can tell :D

Consider the scenario more or less finished now and would really like to get your feedback before I upload it to the in-game download service.

But for the weekend, I'll finally give it an extended try myself and play, finally 8)
Attachments
Hamburg_scenario_v0.92_p1.png
Hamburg_scenario_v0.92_p1.png (648.59 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
hamburg_v0.92.scn
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I look forward.
By the way, I don't know about you, but it's even a long weekend here.
Missing objects will most likely be the same again. :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 29 Apr 2023 08:38 By the way, I don't know about you, but it's even a long weekend here.
Yes, Monday is "International Workers Day" and therefore public holiday also in my part of the galaxy :D
Argus wrote: 29 Apr 2023 08:38 Missing objects will most likely be the same again. :)
I guess unless the NewGRF author or somebody with much more experience of the internals of those comes to aid, it will not be possible to resolve :?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The 3rd part of the Dutch Addition set is in an outdated version, it already has version 3.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Uch
Unfortunately, I didn't notice this right away, URatt 0.8 apparently has a broken compatibility with the Polish set.
Cars cannot drive on the paved stone road from Uratt, only on the one from Polroad.
And now I look at it, probably nowhere from URatt.
I would have reported this betrayal a long time ago, but I usually turn Polroad off.
If Polish roads are closed, cars drive on URatt roads. Otherwise, they will "escape" to Polish.
The Timberwolf vehicle set has a similar problem. I hope this problem only affects older vehicles. Fortunately, most of the map is mainly Polish roads.
Attachments
Green & Co., 16. led 1900.png
(147.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So I started here. So far it's a village outside of Hamburg. When do I connect it? :D And yes, I set the cities to grow. Very slow :)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wilhe ... 0vMGZyX3Qw
When GETS doesn't have a subway, I put V4 there.
Attachments
Green & Co., 20. srp 1902.png
(320.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 29 Apr 2023 17:15 Unfortunately, I didn't notice this right away, URatt 0.8 apparently has a broken compatibility with the Polish set.
Cars cannot drive on the paved stone road from Uratt, only on the one from Polroad.
And now I look at it, probably nowhere from URatt.
I would have reported this betrayal a long time ago, but I usually turn Polroad off.
You're right - there is a problem with compatibility between U&Ratt 0.8 and Polroad v55 :shock:

It can be fixed in the Polroad settings by set parameters :arrow: Enable custom road types :arrow: OFF

But that means I have to re-assign all the roads again :cry:

So no playing again today, back to the scenario editor ...

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 29 Apr 2023 20:38 So I started here. So far it's a village outside of Hamburg. When do I connect it? :D And yes, I set the cities to grow. Very slow :)
Very happy you enjoy playing it and get to work. Also good choice of subway.

However, as the 5th largest district/borough of Hamburg, the people of Wilhelmsburg strongly disagree with you about being called "villagers" :lol:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The scenario seems to be well playable so far. I allowed industry to grow, but I only allowed subsidies. And the prices are original, so I won't have the money for it right away.
I turned it on anyway just to supplement the string if needed.
The game scenario is quite easy, but that's not the point.
Attachments
Green & Co., 3. zář 1907.png
(203.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

ebla71 wrote: 29 Apr 2023 21:25
Argus wrote: 29 Apr 2023 20:38 So I started here. So far it's a village outside of Hamburg. When do I connect it? :D And yes, I set the cities to grow. Very slow :)
Very happy you enjoy playing it and get to work. Also good choice of subway.

However, as the 5th largest district/borough of Hamburg, the people of Wilhelmsburg strongly disagree with you about being called "villagers" :lol:
I think that today the inhabitants of certain districts of Prague, which used to be villages, would also give me a few slaps :lol:
Well, well, so far it's a small town that is not yet connected with Hamburg :)

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”