[OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 13 Apr 2023 12:01 I ran into a problem.
It was probably caused by the fact that we do not have exactly the same versions of the objects. Some objects may have been moved and changed, although the version still reports as compatible.
From now on it is everywhere on both coasts
That's most certainly caused by GarryG changing some of the NewGRFs recently: viewtopic.php?p=1259758#p1259758

When I saw this I was like :shock: since I had already spend days and weeks to place I don't know how many of these decorative elements and there is now way I will update those.

Either you delete the "rock objects" yourself or you "roll back" to the version of the AuzWaterObjects.grf that was used at the creation of the scenario, which is shown in the NewGRF options as "Auz Water Objects V15" and "Auz Water Objects Add Ons V9"

This "version hell" is exactly what I meant with "realiable" earlier.

There is an option to show all the available NewGRFs that are available, not just the latest version, but I forgot how to switch that, as it is not default - but it was the response of some experienced user to some of my other threads.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So now I'm staring :shock: because Auz Water Objects V15 is exactly the version I have. I don't have a newer one. Or it's newer than yours, but with an old version label. To the oak board.
I'd better delete the rocks, because we probably won't find it. I would have to download more versions of that V15... Send a screenshot of what should be there, I'll try to replace it.
By the way, the version of the addons is also V9

I have it noted in my notebook: set newgrf_show_old_versions 1
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 13 Apr 2023 16:27 So now I'm staring :shock: because Auz Water Objects V15 is exactly the version I have. I don't have a newer one. Or it's newer than yours, but with an old version label. To the oak board.
I'd better delete the rocks, because we probably won't find it. I would have to download more versions of that V15... Send a screenshot of what should be there, I'll try to replace it.
By the way, the version of the addons is also V9
I use the versions attached below which have a date stamp of 15.03.2023 but I'm not sure if that's the create date or my local download date.
Argus wrote: 13 Apr 2023 16:27 I have it noted in my notebook: set newgrf_show_old_versions 1
Yes, that is the option that I have in mind.

And excellent idea to have a notebook with the most important commands and options at hand. I also do this, not only for game, but also for professional Linux and Python use.
Attachments
AuzWaterObjectsAddOns.grf
(5.42 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
AuzWaterObjects.grf
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Thanks, I'll see what was there. Although a screenshot would be more than enough. I won't be downgrading in that game anyway. The problem is that the problem could get worse if Garry messes with it even more next time.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

:shock:
Attachments
Beze jména, 20. led 1855.png
(306.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Beze jména, 5. dub 1855.png
(207.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Beze jména, 14. dub 1855.png
(207.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

They are not water objects. Send me a screenshot of what you have in that place so I can put it there if I can find it, if not I'll just tear it down. Anyway, the problem will recur until Garry has some final version to put on Bananas.
Attachments
Beze jména, 21. dub 1855.png
(207.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 14 Apr 2023 11:38 They are not water objects. Send me a screenshot of what you have in that place so I can put it there if I can find it, if not I'll just tear it down.
It's the navigational markers - they are pretty small and therefore hard to see. The red ones should be on the left-hand side (port side) when you come from the sea (bottom left) and the green one on the right-hand side (starboard). However, they were duplicated in some NewGRFs at the time I started with the "decoration" but what's shown is when you click the tile with the ? tool

Argus wrote: 14 Apr 2023 11:38 Anyway, the problem will recur until Garry has some final version to put on Bananas.
That's what we call "version hell" :)
Attachments
screenshot#5.png
(336.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Thanks.
Fortunately, there are only two objects so far :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Ok, with the "decoration" almost complete, I would like to share with you Hamburg scenario v0.70 :D

In addition to placement of a lot of new graphical elements, in particular sport fields, cemetaries, schools, military installations, and hospitals, I also tried to fix the issue with the different versions of NewGRF. In particular, the latest version of Auz Water Objects V15 is now included that has an MD5 sum of 08BB5A32A8AD81F09528923F53173FAA, which is unfortunately the only way to distinguish from the previous one, since the version number was not increased.

Also, the update of U&RaTT from 0.7a to 0.8 caused me a major issue, since apparently the ID of some road was changed and what previously was a "dirt road" then suddenly appeared as "concrete slab highway" in the scenario editor, so I had to correct all that and turn all those tiles back to "dirt road" manually at the cost of a few hours :?

Will put some finishing touches on the "landscaping" and decoration and afterwards, finally proceed to manual industry placement :D

Attachments
hamburg_v0.70.scn
(2.22 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
Hamburg_scenario_v0.70_p1.png
(143.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Road set upgrades usually go that way. I've already burned myself a few times.
By the way, if this change goes through, it solves our problem, he won't have to change the ID so much :D
https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/10672
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Hooray, at least the problem isn't getting worse. :)
I keep reminding you that the industry, when the parameter is turned on so that it does not spawn during the game, cannot even be subsidized.
Mainly for others who would like to test.
Just a small question: Are custom road types at Polroad activated on purpose?
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 20 Apr 2023 09:20 Road set upgrades usually go that way. I've already burned myself a few times.
By the way, if this change goes through, it solves our problem, he won't have to change the ID so much :D
https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/10672
The main issue here was not insufficient number of IDs but apparently the IDs for two roads were exchanged, because in the "build" menue of the scenario editor, nothing really changed. Must have been some more special internal organization.

At least, it turned the dirt roads into the highly visible light grey highway tiles, so it was rather easy to spot what had to be changed, but still a hell lot of work.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 20 Apr 2023 11:19 Hooray, at least the problem isn't getting worse. :)
I keep reminding you that the industry, when the parameter is turned on so that it does not spawn during the game, cannot even be subsidized.
Mainly for others who would like to test.
The industry settings are currently only there since I imported the whole NewGRF and game settings from another running game and they need to be manually adjusted before playing, yes. 8)

In my style of game play, I place all industries manually while the game is stopped and then immediately disable spawning and subsidizing again (closure is always switch-off as a standard anyway) - but when the version with industries gets released, I will try to provide two versions - one with existing and "immortal" industries that are there from the beginning in the "real world locations" and never close but also no additional industries can be created, at least unless playing with NewGRF options, for those players who want to focus on network building, and another one with more "regular" settings for those who like a more "open" gameplay and don't care so much about real placement of the industries (although this is not the main intention of my scenario).
Argus wrote: 20 Apr 2023 11:19 Just a small question: Are custom road types at Polroad activated on purpose?
Yes, because I like the "dark" dirt road from Polroad better than the one from U&RaTT - although the road settings in Polroad and U&RaTT seem to be "reversible" in the Scenario editor, I strongly advise against changing those, as it will have consequences on the carefully adjusted appearance of the roads, into which I put a lot of effort. Please can do that but please don't report about any problems or strange graphics look that this might cause.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I don't intend to interfere with road settings, I myself use it like this sometimes, because there are no trolleybuses in Polroad. Honestly, Polroad really has some nicer dirt roads.
It's just that I have to keep this in mind so I don't add more roads because of the limit. :) Especially waterways. And I hope it won't break the SUV, nothing happened last time, but the new version is a little different. I'll have to try it out before the final launch of the game.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Here and there there is still a bit of highway left. Fortunately, the SUV doesn't do anything about it, great.
A bug in Openttd causes the highway limit to be set to one kilometer per hour :D
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 20 Apr 2023 15:08 Here and there there is still a bit of highway left.
Thank you so much for taking such a close look at the scenario and the detailed feedback.

You will definitely get a mention as "gold-status beta tester" :D

If you come across highway left, could you please post a screenshot here with the nearest town label visible - I would really like to correct that all but the map is so large and 4 eyes see more than 2
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

This is probably all for now
Attachments
Beze jména, 16. led 1855.png
(1.07 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Beze jména, 16. led 1855#1.png
(219.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Beze jména, 16. led 1855#2.png
(207.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Another catch already during the game
And how am I looking for where what is what, another piece.
Attachments
Green & Co., 21. úno 1855.png
(401.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Green & Co., 28. zář 1855.png
(350.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I guess I didn't notice this missing object last time.
Attachments
Green & Co., 7. pro 1856.png
(183.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So this time I'm only subsidizing the industry. I lowered the price via BaseCost Mod.
Those trees are supposed to prevent the city from growing over the playground :D Although, thanks to the JGR patch pack feature, I can stop the growth of the city at any time.
Attachments
Green & Co., 11. kvě 1858.png
(382.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”