[OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048

Post by Argus »

Already at the beginning I am missing some graphics, all three that are missing are from the same author. No wonder, he has a lot :) I will try to find them on the forum, but newbies might have a problem with it
Attachments
Beze jména, 1. led 1855.png
(159.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So only here I was not able to find a sufficiently compatible version
Attachments
Beze jména, 18. úno 1855.png
(191.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

viewtopic.php?t=75657&start=1300 , I think this is the one you want .
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Thanks, but this version wasn't exactly the same either, I tried the version a page further up so we'll see.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, it worked on the fourth try, thanks :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 14 Jan 2023 21:43 Thanks, but this version wasn't exactly the same either, I tried the version a page further up so we'll see.
The NewGRFs from GerryG are always a challenge since he's very prolific and creates a lot of nice content, but the naming and numbering of his sets can be somewhat confusing at times due to versions with very similar names but different content.

The AuzBusAndTruckTerminals.grf installed with my game has a NewGRF-ID of 47474812 and for AuzCreeksAndDrainObjects.grf the ID is 47477017 but I'm not sure how unique these are and where to find these versions.

And very honestly, I don't remember anymore when and from where I downloaded them :lol:

However, you can safely remove both of them since they are currently not used at all.

At the moment working on the parts north of the Elbe river but will likely only upload a new version once all the town placement is done.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Have a look here for Garryg's grf's ..... viewtopic.php?t=75657
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The DB set is an excellent set of trains, except that it probably won't support all the costs from XIS, I have problems with it even with FIRS...
I don't know the other trains that are there, so I'll see. World airline set starts very late.
I understand that the random industry generator is turned off for now, but for my own use I turned it on, I'm starting to test :)
Is Hamburg called Harburg? :shock:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Unfortunately, I sped up the time with a cheat. The DB set only starts in 1920, and as I feared, does not have full support for XIS cargos.
I recommend adding a "helper" trainset, like 2cc trains in nml with a restriction to European trains only? Or a Dutch train set.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 15 Jan 2023 12:40 The DB set is an excellent set of trains, except that it probably won't support all the costs from XIS, I have problems with it even with FIRS...
I don't know the other trains that are there, so I'll see. World airline set starts very late.
You could use the Ju-52 if you like to start earlier but at least with these settings, airports will not become available before 1931. The NewGRF is literally called ju52.grf and available as JU52 via the in-game online extensions download.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_52
Argus wrote: 15 Jan 2023 12:40 I understand that the random industry generator is turned off for now, but for my own use I turned it on, I'm starting to test :)
The scenario will only make sense with fixed and permanent industries but if you don't mind a cow farm in the place where in "real-world" a container terminal is found, go ahead :lol: That's the very nature and beauty of this game, that you can customize it as you wish.
Argus wrote: 15 Jan 2023 12:40 Is Hamburg called Harburg? :shock:
No, Harburg is a suburb (or more correctly, in "administrative speak", a borough) of Hamburg south of the Elbe river, but with about 170.000 people living there a very large one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harburg,_Hamburg

As mentioned, I will represent all suburbs as separate towns in the game and the Hamburg city center is simply not built yet, it will be located north of the big river and harbour area, where you have the two big "lakes", locally called "Binnenalster" und "Außenalster": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alster

And no, I am not paid by the Hamburg Tourist Office to post here :lol:
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 15 Jan 2023 13:13 Unfortunately, I sped up the time with a cheat. The DB set only starts in 1920, and as I feared, does not have full support for XIS cargos.
I recommend adding a "helper" trainset, like 2cc trains in nml with a restriction to European trains only? Or a Dutch train set.
Sorry, I just read in the NewGRF selection that I normally use for other Centeral European themed games and it might not be working yet and you will likely have to adjust yourself.

As mentioned, this is still pretty much work in progress and and the current version is possibly a "pre-alpha".

Vehicle NewGRFs will be optimized later - for now I am still busy with placing towns and finishing the terrain modulation - next update possibly in 2-3 weeks.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Mainly the location of the industry was prohibited not only in the game but also by the XIS parameter, so I wouldn't even be able to subsidize the industry as the parameter is described.
Thanks for the info, by the way, nothing rules out that there could still be a farm there in 1850. And I can always demolish an inappropriate industry later by following the labels. :) :wink:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Now I remembered, WAS starts in 1970, that's a long time to use only Junker. I already have that :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

piratescooby wrote: 15 Jan 2023 09:08 Have a look here for Garryg's grf's ..... viewtopic.php?t=75657
Let's see... 25 posts per page, multiplied by 109 pages is... *clackity-clack*

Good luck. :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I've always tried the latest one linked and had luck.
TransportFanMar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TransportFanMar »

How was the scenario terrain generated?
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

TransportFanMar wrote: 03 Feb 2023 18:57 How was the scenario terrain generated?
Very good question, thank you.

I had actually planned an additional thread with a full tutorial including pictures of the different stages of the terrain generation, since it uses a quite unusual procedure, but so far job and family have prevented me from doing this.

But I can give at least a very quick version here now:
  • Select a proper view of the area you are interested in with OpenStreetMap
  • Use export function of OpenStreetMap to save the view as *.png file
  • Process *.png file with graphics editor to make sure it is as close to square as possible
  • In scenario editor of OpenTTD, import *.png file with Load heightmap - I used a 2048x2048 map size with a maximum height level of 7 for good "contrast"
  • Save with Save scenario and start editing
What you see is quite different from import of "normal" heightmaps, since OpenStreetMap does encode "type of surface" not terrain height, so you need a lot of post-processing. The current status of the scenario took me about 1 1/2 months since the Christmas holidays, when I started it. This is what I did after *.png file import:
  • "Carve in" the river, harbour, and lake areas by lowering terrain to level 0 to automatically flood it with water
  • "Smoothen" the river banks to give it a nice appearance
  • "Carve in" the major streets and place town according to the names visible, fill in "holes"
Here is a section of the map focused on the southern part of the port area around Harburg before and after "landscaping":

Before "landscaping"

After "landscaping"

hamburg.png
*.png file used to create scenario as exported from OpenStreetMap
(4.99 MiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot.png
OTTD scenario directly after import of *.png file
(404.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot2.png
OTTD scenario view after "landscaping"
(270.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

And here is the latest version (v0.42) of the Hamburg scenario which is about 70-75% complete. What is still missing is the upper left (north-west) corner of the map and the city center itself around the "Alster", which is the circular body of water in the focus of the map.

Warning This is still a very early development version of the scenario and will likely not be playable to anybody but very experienced users who are able to make significant custom adjustments to game and NewGRF options. In particular, does not contain any industries and automatic industry generation is currently completely switched off. Need to toggle NewGRF settings to place, then switch off again. Also uses quite a lot of NewGRFs from GarryG which might not be available from in-game download (see comments above on that).

Therefore - proceed at your own risk :D

current_status_HH_scenario_v0.42.png
(159.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hamburg_v0.42.scn
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I like to take risks :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I'm trying to see if 2cc trains or V4 trains will work better - be careful, with those you have to turn off your own tracks because of the set of tracks used.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”