Passengers don't take stopping services

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

merni
Engineer
Engineer

Passengers don't take stopping services

Post by merni »

Savegame is attached (It uses JGRPP with many NewGRFs). The problem is between Mathura and Delhi. There are two routes -- one which is highly infrequent but without any intermediate stops, and one which is much more frequent but has 2 intermediate stops. With cargodist enabled and the "saturation of short paths" setting at 40%, there are about 3000 passengers sitting waiting for the infrequent non-stop trains and nothing seems to convince them to move to the stopping ones. Bafflingly, the "cargo flow legend" still shows the direct route in green or yellow in spite of the massive number of pax waiting.

What more can I do to make the pax take the stopping route?

More generally, how exactly does cargodist deal with this situation and how exactly does the saturation setting change its behaviour? (Please don't ask me to read the code -- if I could, I would not be asking this.)
Attachments
problem.sav
(JGRPP save)
(4.79 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Passengers don't take stopping services

Post by jfs »

The thing to keep in mind is that it's Cargo Distribution, very specifically it's not Cargo Destinations.

Even though the UI shows "X passengers with destination Delhi", what actually matters is only the next statistic, "Y passengers (of the above X) have next stop Whatever". The passengers do not have destination Delhi. They considered destination Delhi when they chose their next stop, but there's no guarantee they will continue on to Delhi when they reach the next stop.

The destinations are a lie.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

May I suggest you check your cargo trains , eg train TRMGO2 is fitted for goods when it should be fitted for corn , simple fix , send to depot and refit .
merni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by merni »

jfs wrote: 26 Dec 2022 20:05 The thing to keep in mind is that it's Cargo Distribution, very specifically it's not Cargo Destinations.

Even though the UI shows "X passengers with destination Delhi", what actually matters is only the next statistic, "Y passengers (of the above X) have next stop Whatever". The passengers do not have destination Delhi. They considered destination Delhi when they chose their next stop, but there's no guarantee they will continue on to Delhi when they reach the next stop.

The destinations are a lie.
I am looking at "via", not destination. It shows 3000 passengers "via Delhi", which means they want the non-stop route. If they wanted the stopping route, they would be "via Ghaziabad".
piratescooby wrote: 26 Dec 2022 20:29 May I suggest you check your cargo trains , eg train TRMGO2 is fitted for goods when it should be fitted for corn , simple fix , send to depot and refit .
That has nothing to do with this, it's in a completely different and isolated part of the map and not even a pax train.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

merni wrote: 27 Dec 2022 04:01 I am looking at "via", not destination. It shows 3000 passengers "via Delhi", which means they want the non-stop route. If they wanted the stopping route, they would be "via Ghaziabad".
Exactly the same: Once the next stop has been determined it will not be changed. Even if the train will also stop at Delhi, if it stops at Ghaziabad before Delhi then it's not valid for "via Delhi" passengers.

(CargoDist does not have a way to distinguish between "goes forward with fewer stops" and "goes forward then back". It can't tell if a train would be a huge detour, or even a shortcut, regardless of it ending up in the right place eventually.)
merni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by merni »

jfs wrote: 27 Dec 2022 07:06
merni wrote: 27 Dec 2022 04:01 I am looking at "via", not destination. It shows 3000 passengers "via Delhi", which means they want the non-stop route. If they wanted the stopping route, they would be "via Ghaziabad".
Exactly the same: Once the next stop has been determined it will not be changed. Even if the train will also stop at Delhi, if it stops at Ghaziabad before Delhi then it's not valid for "via Delhi" passengers.
I understand. What I am asking is, how do I make the number of "via Delhi" passengers being generated less and make passengers who are generated choose the "via Ghaziabad" route?

(After some discussion on Discord I have ended up just doing "no loading"/"no unloading" as a workaround so that passengers don't see this so-called shortcut.)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

There is still no "shortcut" in play, since it's a cargo distribution system, not a cargo destinations system. It's not trying to send passengers to specific stations, it's trying to make sure all paths are saturated (and not always doing a great job, typically causing oscillations between too much and too little demand.)
merni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by merni »

jfs wrote: 27 Dec 2022 08:54 There is still no "shortcut" in play, since it's a cargo distribution system, not a cargo destinations system. It's not trying to send passengers to specific stations, it's trying to make sure all paths are saturated (and not always doing a great job, typically causing oscillations between too much and too little demand.)
If it was doing that, I have no problem. But it was overfilling one path and leaving the other one nearly empty.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”