Too small menu objects

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Too small menu objects

Post by Argus »

Problem with GUI
I was able tI was able to get Tycoon to look OK on my laptop, now I can't...
Not only are all the buttons absurdly small, and scaling the interface still leaves the cross to close the window absurdly small, but I can hardly see the mouse pointer. I have quite a few diopters and this really bothers me. :cry:
You can see in the second image that even though I have everything zoomed in, the build menu is still horribly small. In addition, increasing the interface does not even affect the icons!
Not really like this, gentlemen. It was OK before... :oops:
And I don't understand why after all this time a simple text size change wasn't added to the game, who wants to keep digging around in the configuration file by trial and error...
Attachments
Beze jména, 1. led 1870.png
(1.8 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Beze jména, 1. led 1870#1.png
(1.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Too small menu objects

Post by Argus »

Sorry, apparently the previous settings were ignored during the upgrade. At least I managed to tweak it a bit :)
But I got annoyed with the text, I had to edit it three times :D
And how do I prevent the text of labels and city names from getting bigger when zooming out on the map? It didn't happen before and it's rather distracting.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I tweaked the settings, but although I got almost the same result as before, the station names are still too big... Error?
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Argus wrote: 15 Dec 2022 18:50 ...the station names are still too big... Error?
Yes, this is a bug and it is due to the fact that the game uses the line spacing assigned to the fonts. The default fonts do not have this line (or have very small), so as soon as you use other fonts all labels become unnecessarily large increased by spaces at the top and bottom of the font.

You have the same problem as me (and probably many other players). I changed the default small font which was completely unreadable and now zooming out causes the station labels to get bigger instead of smaller.

I reported this as a bug on github (#10151) but it was closed. :? Same as the report (#10153) about the unreadable default small font - because: everyone can change it themselves... :roll:
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, everyone can change it themselves by unnecessary digging in the configuration file. However, this is quite dangerous for those who do not know how to use PCs.
The problem is that when I make the text smaller, everything gets smaller, doesn't it, and then it's often harder for me to read. But that doesn't occur to the developers, they probably have healthy eyes.
An easy solution is to let a person set the size and text of the labels.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Before getting into bugs and changes,what version of the game are you using?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

JGR Patchpack 0.50 and 12.0 Vanilla, + 12.2.
In version 12.2, it is necessary to set the font size to double, it has the old scaling. However, the ratio is not correct.
Old settings:
small_font = Arial
medium_font = Tahoma Bold
large_font = Arial
mono_font = Courier New
small_size = 17
medium_size = 18
large_size = 26
mono_size = 18

Now in patchpack with new scaling:
small_font = Arial
medium_font = Tahoma Bold
large_font = Arial
mono_font = Courier New
small_size = 8
medium_size = 10
large_size = 11
mono_size = 10

I don't believe that the Tahoma font would have any unnecessary space under it, why wouldn't it show up before?

The problem becomes apparent when zooming out, when the names of the stations are able to completely cover the city.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

What does this look like for you? I do not see anything wrong.

PS we really do prefer bug reports on github, where you can post images easily, and we get notifications of reports.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

peter1138 wrote: 20 Dec 2022 23:23 PS we really do prefer bug reports on github, where you can post images easily, and we get notifications of reports.
This bug has already been reported...
[Bug]: Station and signs labels become larger than they should when a font other than the default is used. #10151
Argus wrote: 15 Dec 2022 18:50 I tweaked the settings, but although I got almost the same result as before, the station names are still too big... Error?
Argus wrote: 20 Dec 2022 22:03 The problem becomes apparent when zooming out, when the names of the stations are able to completely cover the city.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Are those screenshots from Argus then?
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

LaChupacabra wrote: 21 Dec 2022 00:32
peter1138 wrote: 20 Dec 2022 23:23 PS we really do prefer bug reports on github, where you can post images easily, and we get notifications of reports.
This bug has already been reported...
[Bug]: Station and signs labels become larger than they should when a font other than the default is used. #10151
And it was closed on 12 November, 1 day after it was raised.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It's not my screenshots, but the same thing is happening to me. Station names are too big. And Arial is not like Himalaya.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Can you please provide:

1) A screenshot of what it looks like.
2) The font settings in your openttd.cfg.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Here is a screenshot where the single station name covers part of the city when zoomed out.
As you zoom out further, it gets even bigger - 2. screen
Before I could properly set it up, multiple station names could reliably obscure parts of the city and get in the way even at a small zoom.
I don't deny that it can be a font problem, I already wrote the settings here. However, the current inconvenience of change makes such mistakes more frustrating than they really are...
Attachments
Petrovy Sokičky Transport, 8. úno 1890.png
(1.54 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Petrovy Sokičky Transport, 17. čer 1890.png
(1.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i don't see any problem here... the signs look perfectly sized for the font that's inside
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

I still don't see what the regression is here.

Viewport signs have never changed size based on the viewport zoom, other than the switch to using FS_SMALL instead of FS_NORMAL beyond (original) 2X zoom out. They are not "even bigger" as you zoom out, they just don't get smaller as you zoom out.

Viewport signs are still based on the size of the font, as they were in 12.2.

I'm not being awkward, I just can't guess what you mean, especially as the OP subject is "Too small menu objects"?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, and I could make it smaller, but then again it will be unreadable elsewhere. But in order to get at least a somewhat usable appearance, I had to edit the configuration file several times, which means turning off the game, reducing the font a bit, turning the game on, turning it off again, increasing what was too small, and so on and on and on, Frustrating settings by trial and error , which can be set much more conveniently in various games, and you can immediately see how it will look.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

peter1138 wrote: 21 Dec 2022 13:30 I still don't see what the regression is here.

Viewport signs have never changed size based on the viewport zoom, other than the switch to using FS_SMALL instead of FS_NORMAL beyond (original) 2X zoom out. They are not "even bigger" as you zoom out, they just don't get smaller as you zoom out.

Viewport signs are still based on the size of the font, as they were in 12.2.

I'm not being awkward, I just can't guess what you mean, especially as the OP subject is "Too small menu objects"?
Sorry, this got a bit off topic. At first it happened that the new version didn't pick up my old GUI zoom, which caught me off guard.... :oops:
For me personally, it's more about how frustrating it is to make any changes regarding the font, I've done it ten times. As for the station names, the way you describe it, the behavior makes sense to me, the problem is that I could make them smaller, but then I won't read some of the other stuff. That's another problem, I don't even know which font size belongs to which things, then it's even harder to set.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

This is getting more and more confusing...
Argus wrote: 21 Dec 2022 13:40 For me personally, it's more about how frustrating it is to make any changes regarding the font
So you can say that the main problem is the cumbersome way to change the font? This problem is open and even duplicated. I hope someone can do something about it. Possibility to change the font in the game would be a great help, although it must be admitted that it is rather a one-off. So perhaps it would be better to refine the new interface resizing method and use better default fonts so that the player will not be forced to change them himself. The current small and mono are worse than horrible, and neither of them scale when the GUI is resized, which is a problem especially with the small font, which is still ridiculously small even at 1.75x magnification.

Regarding the margins, I admit that I haven't checked how it looks at 2x magnification and it seems that the higher the magnification, the less noticeable the problem is, but it's still there - the labels could have smaller margins, especially in the case of small fonts. This would make it possible to reduce the obscured screen while maintaining readability, or to use a larger font without increasing the size of the labels. This is not something very important, in the end it can be played with, although it is not something you can expect if, zooming out of the view, the font of the labels decreases, and the labels themselves do not.

An example of how it looks like and how it could be (GUI 2x)
current and improved label margins.png
current and improved label margins.png (352.92 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
To sum up: I think it would be good to set new default fonts. Ones that would fit well with any zoom level and that would not unnecessarily increase interface elements such as station labels.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, thanks for the specification and example.
The main reason for changing the default font was that this font wrote question marks instead of Russian alphabets and such. I don't know if things have changed in that regard yet. And if I didn't read the forum I wouldn't even know how to solve it. The game is now on Steam, which means an influx of new players who may be completely put off by such user unfriendliness.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”