Console refusing to close on Windows 11?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DingoLingo
Engineer
Engineer

Console refusing to close on Windows 11?

Post by DingoLingo »

Anyone getting a strange issue where the console will open fine but won't close? on my keyboard i use the '~' key I've only seen this issue on multiplayer and haven't tested singleplayer for the issue yet. hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this issue
:D Small-Time new NewGRF and Map maker from New Zealand :D
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Console refusing to close on Windows 11?

Post by jfs »

Even then you should still be able to close it with the ESC key too, as far as I remember.
DingoLingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DingoLingo »

jfs wrote: 08 Dec 2022 08:48 Even then you should still be able to close it with the ESC key too, as far as I remember.
Hmm haven't tried that yet but I'll see if the ESC key closes it could be just a key configuration issue
DingoLingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DingoLingo »

Looks like the ESC key doesn't close it either very odd.
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

I am quite sure I have to rapidly press ~ (or ^ depending on your keyboard layout) at least twice for OTTD to respond appropriately. You might wanna try that.
DingoLingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DingoLingo »

Qu@rks wrote: 26 Dec 2022 12:01 I am quite sure I have to rapidly press ~ (or ^ depending on your keyboard layout) at least twice for OTTD to respond appropriately. You might wanna try that.
Pressing the ~ or ESC button rapidly or multiple times does nothing and the console still stays there
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Are you using another program which is rebinding ~ to a different action?
DingoLingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DingoLingo »

kamnet wrote: 28 Dec 2022 05:12 Are you using another program which is rebinding ~ to a different action?

There are no programs running when this happens (and it happens even if there's a program running.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

this also applies to programs that you're not realizing are running, like graphics drivers, etc. which run in the background

another common issue is the "dead key" treatment, where accent keys don't get treated as a keypress themselves, but are automatically combined with the next key you're pressing. this can sometimes be circumvented by hitting the key a second time, or the space bar.
DingoLingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DingoLingo »

Eddi wrote: 20 Jan 2023 15:04 this also applies to programs that you're not realizing are running, like graphics drivers, etc. which run in the background

another common issue is the "dead key" treatment, where accent keys don't get treated as a keypress themselves, but are automatically combined with the next key you're pressing. this can sometimes be circumvented by hitting the key a second time, or the space bar.
it doesn't look like any programs that run in the background muddle up the keys like that not sure about the 'dead key' issue since it doesn't respond even if the button is pressed a second time

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”