FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022

Post by Redirect Left »

We're now just under 3 weeks away from the next World Cup, peculiarly occurring in the always sunny & warm Qatar in winter!

We've got 32 teams split into 8 groups, some of which are looking particularly hard to escape for some teams, those groups are
A - Qatar - Ecuador - Netherlands - Senegal
B - USA - Iran - England - Wales
C - Saudi Arabia - Argentina - Poland - Mexico
D - France - Tunisia - Denmark - Australia
E - Spain - Japan - Germany - Costa Rica
F - Belgium - Canada - Croatia - Morocco
G - Brazil - Serbia - Cameroon - Switzerland
H - South Korea - Uruguay - Ghana - Portugal

As for my own country, I think England has managed to accidentally themselves a fairly easy group in B. Last years winners, France, seem to have also got a group they're near guaranteed to get out of. Meanwhile Argentina has a habit of removing Mexico from competition, occuring in 2006 & 2010, will they repeat that in 2022? They've certainly got the chance, both lumped into C. For me, I think Group E is going to be the interesting one, a single slip up by Spain or Germany could see them tumble out and Japan and/or Costa Rica take a spot, which would surely be the upset of the group stage if it occurred for either of the footballing giants. For Groups G & H, i've honestly no idea who will get through, although for G i'm sure Brazil will find their way through, and its a toss up for the rest, same for Portgual in H.

How are your favourite teams' prospects looking in this years tournament?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Re: FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022

Post by Chrill »

nope.

I'm not doing this year. I'll probably tune in for the Semi Finals but I'm still quite disgusted by where this World Cup is hosted. They might as well have hosted it in Russia again, like 4 years ago.

As for the shock of the tournament, I'm giving you a Danish medal.

A: Netherlands - Ecuador
B: England - USA
C: Argentina - Poland
D: France - Denmark
E: Spain - Germany
F: Belgium - Croatia
G: Brazil - Switzerland
H: Uruguay - Portugal

R16-1: Netherlands - USA
R16-2: Argentina - Denmark
R16-3: Spain - Croatia
R16-4: Brazil - Portugal
R16-5: England - Ecuador
R16-6: France - Poland
R16-7: Belgium - Germany
R16-8: Uruguay - Switzerland

Q1: Netherlands - Denmark
Q2: Spain - Portugal
Q3: England - France
Q4: Belgium- Uruguay

S1: Denmark - Spain
S2: France - Belgium

Winner: France

I mean, realistically Argentina would beat Denmark in the quarter finals and Brazil would beat Portugal, but I am Eurocentric here.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 04 Nov 2022 13:36 nope.

I'm not doing this year.
yes, whilst I'm not thrilled with the location myself of how they came to have it, not to mention ongoing issues there, I'll do my usual watching of England matches at the very least. can't see myself going nuts for the majority of matches though.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Shoutout to the over 6500 peeps having died building them stadions and the s*** conditions the rest, who have not yet, live in ...

I never cared for football much but this year I even care less for it ... just saying

Edit; I'm ashamed my country is even participting
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

ChillCore wrote: 21 Nov 2022 11:14 I never cared for football much but this year I even care less for it ... just saying
I'm against so called "cancel culture" movement, but this World Cup and whole corrupted FIFA really deserve to be boycotted.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well. We just had probably the biggest upset in World Cup history.
[+] Spoiler
Saudi Arabia beat Argentina 2-1!! Not entirely undeserved either, they held their own and kept luring Argentina offside very successfully. Maybe a draw would have been more fair, but such is football.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 22 Nov 2022 12:37
[+] Spoiler
Saudi Arabia beat Argentina 2-1!! Not entirely undeserved either, they held their own and kept luring Argentina offside very successfully. Maybe a draw would have been more fair, but such is football.
Indeed, that is one I didn't expect.
[+] Spoiler
Perhaps home crowd advantage had something to do with it, given Saudi Arabia is next door to Qatar, and probably a lot easier for Saudi fans to get to than Argentina fans...
Also I'm pretty happy that Wales managed a 1-1 draw with USA, I do hope Wales manage to do well in the World Cup, t's been such a long road for them to get to any World Cup.
So far I have only watched the England match, and the rest I am just getting as news on either the TV or facebook, as I am trying to not give too many viewing figures for the world cup.
I'm very pleased that the BBC sidestepped the opening ceremony to instead launch a thinly veiled attack with criticism of Qatars handling of pretty much everything. That's a power move and a half.

Return to “Off-Topic”