Using NewGRF, etc…, files offline. Is it possible?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Voyhager3
Engineer
Engineer

Using NewGRF, etc…, files offline. Is it possible?

Post by Voyhager3 »

So I recently got openTTD after playing Transport tycoon 2014 (I guess it was just a rebadged locomotion) for mobile for many many years. So I downloaded openTTD onto a flash drive so I can play it anywhere (defined not in certain classes when I’m bored) and I was wondering if I could somehow get the physical file of the newGRF (and others) setting(s) for offline usage.
Maybe I’m overlooking something obvious, but like said, I am relatively new.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
I really don’t know what I’m doing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Using NewGRF, etc…, files offline. Is it possible?

Post by jfs »

Yes.

You can easily make a "portable" installation of OpenTTD on Windows.
Copy the program files (under the Program Files folder, or your steamapps folder, or whereever you have it) to your USB drive. Then copy your user files (under your Documents folder) to the same folder on your USB drive as the program files. You should end up with "openttd.exe" next to "openttd.cfg", and might be prompted to overwrite a few files or merge some folders.
Then just run the program file from USB, and it'll be reading your settings, NewGRFs, and savegames, all from that location.
Voyhager3
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Using NewGRF, etc…, files offline. Is it possible?

Post by Voyhager3 »

I was going to say I was confused and ask for help. But after I sent for this to be approved I eventually figured it out. So thank you for the help!
Last edited by Voyhager3 on 13 Oct 2022 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
I really don’t know what I’m doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”