Island of Sodor - 3rd Test Heightmap posted 04/25/2011

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
kamnet

Island of Sodor Heightmap Project

Post by kamnet »

That may be some time still. Right now I'm tied up with developing a NewGRF and modifying a huge scenario. I did take a quick look at the heightmap itself though and it does appear to be a nice improvement over mine.

The main reason I went with 2048x2048 is because I think that those who are wanting to be "true" to the Railway Series would find that they quickly run out of room for rails and eyecandy infrastructure. Or, in any case, at least me. Even though I've never yet filled up a whole map myself in 5+ years of playing. Maybe I just dream too big. :mrgreen:
cogthecat
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Island of Sodor - 3rd Test Heightmap posted 04/25/2011

Post by cogthecat »

Fair enough; just so long as the work I put in is appreciated eventually, I'll be happy.

When you say "eyecandy infrastructure," do you mean things like the sidings visible on most maps at the China Clay Works site, or something else? I tried to lay out industries and so on so that all of the stuff visible on the maps I referenced would actually have an in-game use. Obviously stations have to look very different because of things like turntables and roundhouses not having any analog, but for the most part all of the operational bits should actually be useful for gameplay purposes. Likewise, all of the side railways like Skarloey and Culdee Fell, actually serve industrial purposes as well as working as passenger lines due to the placement of primary industries. A couple of them can also serve secondaries, on account of I found a couple of suitable locations (there's a spot on the topographical map marked "water mill" that I stuck a sawmill on, for instance). That's a big part of why I'm so interested in gameplay feedback; I tried to make it interesting to play as well as look at.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Sodor map project will be restarted. I have a very detailed source to work from now, a 9000x9000 map, including the mysterious, now canonized, and still not well-documented Misty Island.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

While I was wanting to include Man, western UK, Wales, and maybe even Misty Island, due to the map restraints of 4096x4096, I'm going to have to exclude those again. I doubt any Railway Series purists are going to be upset over this. :) I might be able to squeeze a bit of Barron-in-Furness in.

So far my heightmap building skills have shown I've gotten better, but I still need more improvement. My technique for laying in riverbeds is sound. The main problem is the Edwards III maps only give 20 levels of height, ranging from sea level to 2000 feet. The highest point on the map is Culdee Fell at 2049 ft. The good thing is that default OpenTTD settings put inclines from one level to the next at 50 feet, so it will be simple. The hard part is that the way the map is laid out, each defined level is 200-300 feet in difference. In order to make this a good, usable map I'm going to have to make up 4-6 height levels in-between and try to figure out how the landscape should be shaped.

If anybody has any good descriptions of each location, that would be really helpful.
Last edited by kamnet on 01 May 2015 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
cogthecat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cogthecat »

Superb! I'm very excited to see where this project goes from here, especially given the attention to detail you showed with your Cindini FIRS conversion. Please do keep the rest of us updated as you move ahead.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I really need to get this done. :(

Just found out that a week ago the official 1990s-era TV show canon maps were leaked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUixVDUgisQ

There is also a video documenting the CGI animated series using a metro-style map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amRoaWF5-z8

"The Unlucky Tug" also made his own version of the map in 2021 based on the books and series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFF44_hxK4I
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I downloaded the scenario, and I'm trying it now! I emailed a copy to my daughter who has the Steam Version! :D

Christopher Tarana

I'm getting a error in the scenario! Auto Renew Failed Aircraft #1! Money Limit! It happens with the locomotives too! I sold the aircraft fine but didn't replace it! 8)
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

Here's my saved game with the bug! :D

Christopher Tarana
Pilkington & Co., 2006-03-05.sav
(962.18 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CTarana45 wrote: 14 Jul 2022 02:50 I downloaded the scenario, and I'm trying it now! I emailed a copy to my daughter who has the Steam Version! :D

Christopher Tarana

I'm getting a error in the scenario! Auto Renew Failed Aircraft #1! Money Limit! It happens with the locomotives too! I sold the aircraft fine but didn't replace it! 8)
I have no memory of what all I put into the scenario. I'm not certain I can recommend playing it honestly LOL.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I certainly had a blast trying it! :lol:

Christopher Tarana

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”