Virus detected in the Windows exe - installation issue

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

LordMouton
Engineer
Engineer

Virus detected in the Windows exe - installation issue

Post by LordMouton »

Hi all,
I am trying to install OpenTTD on Windows 11.
using the openttd-12.2-windows-arm64.exe , my Panda Dome antivirus detects a threat (W32/Exploit.gen)
using the zip version, which I am not sure I installed properly, I get a message from Windows "This app cannot run on your PC"

Do you have any idea how to solve either of these issues ?
Thanks !
kamnet

Re: Virus detected in the Windows exe - installation issue

Post by kamnet »

It's most likely a false alert from your AV.

As for the message from Windows, this is standard for Windows 10/11 when it tries to launch an .exe file that is unsigned (beccause we're not paying Microsoft money for a game that we don't earn money from). There should be a box at the bottom of the window that says "More info" or something to that effect, which explains why it is blocked, and then have a clickable link that says "Run this file anyway". It will mark the file as safe to run and then you shouldn't have any more issue.

This is assuming you're doing this on your home PC. If you're running this in a work environment, an administrative Group Policy rule may be blocking it. You'll have to have a chat with IT to get around that. ;)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Virus detected in the Windows exe - installation issue

Post by jfs »

Are you sure you got the correct version of the game?

The filename you quote is for computers with ARM-based CPU's. If your computer has a CPU from Intel or AMD you need the version called Win64.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”