Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Feature request: a callback for vehicle_life

Post by George »

It would be nice to have a callback for vehicle_life
It would allow such a feature as overhaul, that can be coded via paid refit. This will allow to simulate real usage of the train, when an old vehicle is not replaced, but is repaired and used in operation. It is cheaper, than buying a new vehicle, but you have rather old vehicle in service instead a modern one.
Image Image Image Image
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Feature request: a callback for vehicle_life

Post by Eddi »

so you want to turn "vehicle life" from "this vehicle needs to go out of service" into "this vehicle needs refurbishing"?

i can imagine this becoming very very micromanagy
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Eddi wrote: 11 Aug 2022 10:06 so you want to turn "vehicle life" from "this vehicle needs to go out of service" into "this vehicle needs refurbishing"?

It can be micromanagement, but it can also be as simple as automatic replacement or something in between. And automatic replacement is an existing feature. So I think, it would be generally possible, even I don't know, if I would like it.

Tschö, Auge
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Eddi wrote: 11 Aug 2022 10:06 so you want to turn "vehicle life" from "this vehicle needs to go out of service" into "this vehicle needs refurbishing"?
Well, I do not see it as mandatory action. When a player gets a message "vehicle needs replacing", he can send a vehicle to depot, and, instead of replacing it, make a paid refit "overhaul" (for whose models, which provide such an option).
In xUSSR set, for example, for Chs4 (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A7%D0%A14) available in 1965-1972 (vehicle life 40 years), it is provided a refit since 2002, named "ovehaul". Vehicle gets a new look, but, unfortunately, the game considerates them as old (and autoreplaces them if autoreplace is on). It would be nice, if this refit would also increase vehicle life to 60 years, that would allow using them 20 years more.
Image Image Image Image
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

You could also instead phrase it as a "trade-in" feature, where a different vehicle model requires a "sacrifice" vehicle in addition to the regular purchase price.
I think that would be easier to handle in terms of model lifespan etc.

What I think really matters is not so much "remaining years of operation" for a vehicle, but rather the reliability it can offer, and reliability has traditionally been outside the control of NewGRF.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”